Home gyms are one of the most effective ways to keep a weight loss journey alive, especially for people who struggle to find the time to travel to a gym and allocate enough time to make a difference.
Our team got together with a group of 12 personal trainers to see if we could agree on a list of exercise machines that could speed up a fitness journey. We tested out over 50 different pieces of fitness equipment to see which were most suitable.
Here is our list of best home exercise equipment for burning calories effectively.
Our Best Home Gym Equipment for Weight Loss (September 2023)
1 - Rogue Echo Bike (Editor's Choice)
Out of all the products we tested, including dozens of exercise bikes, the Rogue Echo came out as one of the preferred cardio machines by the majority of our testing team.
While it’s aimed at providing a lower body workout, cycling is an excellent way to do low-impact cardio that doesn’t damage ankle, knee, and hip joints .
And with the wide range of intensity and gear settings, you can tailor your workout to lose weight a lot more effectively.
- Type : Stationary Exercise Bike
- Size : 58.875"L x 29.875"W x 52.75"
- Weight Limit : 350 lbs
- Commercial-grade design and durability
- Great range of presets for workout intensity
- Excellent adjustability to your height and preferred leg angles
- Integrates with a heart rate monitor for more training data and feedback
- It’s a bit heavy
2 - Inspire Fitness FTX Functional Trainer
The next piece of exercise equipment for weight loss is technically a strength training machine.
But you shouldn’t underestimate the value of a full-body workout with weights, as it’s known to contribute to lower body fat .
Our testing team tried using it in multiple different ways to help with building muscle effectively, and we also came up with some cardio workout movements for weight loss by simply lowering the weight load.
I would just highlight that if you order this exercise machine, then also factor in a few gym floor mats to place it on.
- Type : Multi Gym Cable Machine
- Size : 40”L x 54”W x 85”H
- Weight Limit : 500 lbs
- Separate weight stacks allow for independent pulley setup
- Comes with a range of cable attachments for great workout flexibility
- Includes a pull-up bar as part of the frame construction
- You’ll also need to consider investing in some gym floor mats
3 - Rogue Concept 2 Skierg
Here is another great and fun machine that will allow you to burn more calories and lose weight effectively.
And you don’t have to be into skiing in order to use this machine.
One thing our test group reported straight away is that the display is very easy to follow, and you can adjust the intensity of your cardio exercise.
Just keep in mind that you probably have to find a designated space for it, as you can’t easily move or store it out of the way.
- Type : Skier
- Size : 52”L x 24” x 85”H
- Weight Limit : 300 lbs
- Excellent machine to burn more calories in a fun way
- Easy to read and adjust display for fast changes in workout intensity
- Allows for higher intensity levels to do lower body strength training
- It’s not easy to move around if you don’t have a dedicated workout space
4 - Concept2 Model D Indoor Rowing Machine
Rowing cardio machines are great for a full body workout, and while running might help with burning more calories, a rowing machine will be an awful lot kinder to your joints .
And when you crank up the intensity, you won’t just achieve weight loss but can also start building muscle in your upper body.
And I love the amount of data this machine collects about your training.
That allows you to not just see the fat burn from your cardio workouts but see how you’re improving over time.
- Type : Rowing Machine
- Size : 24"D x 96"W x 14"H
- Weight Limit : 500 lbs
- Great machine for training the entire body for strength and fat burning
- It’s one of the better rowing machines for performance and workout data
- Space-saving design and easy to move out of the way if you have a small garage gym
- It will take a while to fully assemble before you can start your first workout
5 - Peloton Bike
I’ve used a Peloton exercise bike regularly and have found them to be sturdy and very well-built.
And they have a small enough footprint to easily store out of the way.
The big attraction is the large screen and access to live classes that can be a huge inspiration and motivation to burn fat consistently.
I also love that you can easily adjust the intensity to mirror a steep incline, which makes it feel more like cycling outdoors.
- Type : Stationary Bike
- Size : 59”L x 53”H x 23”W
- Weight Limit : 297 lbs
- Has an extra-large screen to choose your ideal high-intensity workout
- It’s very easy to navigate the screens and adjust the intensity levels
- Plenty of height adjustment settings make it suitable for a taller-than-average person
- You also need to factor in a Peloton subscription
6 - Schwinn Fitness 470 Elliptical
An elliptical trainer can be a great piece of exercise equipment for weight loss because it adds upper body movements into the routine.
You’ll also find that elliptical machines are much easier on your joints than on a treadmill.
Schwinn is a brand you’ve probably seen in a few gyms, and this is a slightly smaller version of their commercial-grade ones.
Using Sckwinn 470 Elliptical won’t take long to feel the intensity, which is a great indication of maximum calorie burn.
- Type : Elliptical Machine
- Size : 28.2"D x 63.2"W x 70.1"H
- Weight Limit : 300 lbs
- Great elliptical machine with over 50 route settings for diverse training
- Easy to get set up for different stride lengths
- Fully integrates with popular fitness apps to track your workouts
- It’s quite an expensive machine, but from a brand known for quality
7 - Rogue HR-2 Half Rack
You should never underestimate the value of weight training when you want to lose weight and burn fat efficiently .
With this power rack, you can do both upper body workouts like bench presses and then easily set it up as a squat rack to work on your legs and core.
And while it comes with a good selection of weight plates, keep in mind that it might not be enough for performance athletes.
Related: Rogue Combo Rack Review: Updated
- Type : Power Rack
- Size : 49”L x 48”W x 92-110”H
- Weight Limit : 255 lbs
- It’s a small configuration that won’t require a lot of floor space
- Available in different maximum height choices to suit your training
- Easily change the setup for upper and lower body muscle groups
- The maximum weight option might not be enough for bodybuilders
8 - Bowflex Max Trainer Series
Here’s another great way to get into a sweat, start burning fat, and boost your weight loss efforts with less impact on your joints.
It might look like an elliptical, but this is called a step trainer that mimics the action of walking up stairs.
And the one thing that stood out was how easy it is to adjust the intensity and see your training data.
It’s just not quite as engaging for your arms as an elliptical machine.
- Type : Stair Stepper
- Size : 49"D x 26"W x 64.6"H
- Weight Limit : 300 lbs
- Uses a wind-resistance wheel that provides a smooth motion
- It’s very easy to adjust the intensity with a handle beside the display
- Great level of detail on the screen to see important training data
- It doesn’t seem to engage the arms as much as an elliptical
9 - ProForm Pro 9000 Smart Treadmill
One of the most favored exercise machines for weight loss is a treadmill.
But you should avoid just choosing the cheapest and most basic machine you can find.
What you need is exercise equipment that allows you to vary the speed and angle to achieve a much more intense workout. You also want to monitor how many calories you’re burning.
I’m a big fan of ProForm home exercise machines, and this treadmill is the one that our testing team found to be the best for digital adjustments.
- Type : Treadmill
- Size : 59.6”H x 35.3”W x 77.3”L
- Weight Limit : 300 lbs
- Great treadmill with a bounce effect to reduce the impact on joints
- Allows you to set different incline positions
- You can fold it up to take up less space in a home gym
- It’s quite a heavy exercise machine that you need to factor into your decision
10 - TRX All-in-One Suspension Trainer
Our final recommendation for weight loss at home is the cheapest option and one that won’t require much space at all. Quality suspension trainers are great for resistance training using your own body weight.
You’ll be surprised how easily you can lose fat through a mix of cardio and strength exercises.
But I would say that you’ll need to plan for a learning curve to get the movements and setup right.
- Type : Suspension Trainer
- Size : n/a
- Weight Limit : 700 lbs
- Great resistance training tool without the need for weights
- Comes with a great combination of attachments to help train all body parts
- Easily attach to a door or even a tree to work out in your garden
- There’s a bit of a learning curve to get used to this training method
Here are a few things you should consider before choosing home exercise equipment for weight loss.
Who Should Buy Gym Equipment For Weight Loss?
People who struggle to get to the gym at least three times a week should consider investing in equipment for weight loss.
It can be a big challenge for busy parents to find an hour and a half to get to the gym and back and dedicate 60 minutes to working out.
But if you find even 20-30 minutes a day to get on an exercise machine, you’ll lose weight a lot more consistently.
And the best exercise equipment for this will quickly pay off.
Setting A Realistic Budget
If you’ve done a search for home exercise equipment, then you’ll quickly see that you can spend thousands of dollars on such machines.
At the very low end, a few resistance bands and suspension ropes won’t cost you more than $100.
But even investing in a good quality exercise bike or rower can cost you less than $1,000.
If that saves you a gym membership and allows you to exercise 3-5 times a week, then saved membership fees and gained health benefits will be worth more than that upfront investment.
Plan Around Your Workout Regimen
If you already have a preferred exercise routine to lose weight, then pick out your favorite workouts to make a list of the equipment you need.
Even if you have a great cardio workout that requires a rowing machine and a power rack, you could get started with one of them and then gradually add to the gym setup to get you to your fitness goals.
“High-intensity interval training (HIIT) is a popular method of exercise for weight loss. It involves doing short bursts of high-intensity activity. There are usually brief breaks or bouts of lower intensity exercise between the high-intensity episodes.”
- Daniel Bubnis, M.S., NASM-CPT
Start With Basic Equipment
You can absolutely lose weight and build some lean muscle mass without a huge investment in a cardio machine.
Your own body weight, combined with resistance and suspension bands, can help you burn calories and improve your cardiovascular endurance.
Buy these first, and if your budget allows, then add a weight loss machine to give you an extra boost.
Consider The Most Effective Cardio Machines
While everyone might have their favorite method to work out, I would highly recommend an exercise bike or certain rowing machines for cardio and weight loss.
First of all, it’s the kind of home exercise equipment that won’t take up much space, and some of them will even fold up to store easily.
It’s also the best exercise equipment to reduce the amount of impact and strain on your ankles, knees, and hips.
“Low impact cardio is a category of exercise that gets your heart rate up specifically in a joint-friendly way.”
- Jake Harcoff, C.S.C.S.
Get Some Weight Training Equipment
When it comes to home exercise equipment, people always think of some sort of cardio machine. And while those are great for achieving a calorie deficit, the average person can gain a lot by adding resistance training to their routine.
You don’t need to have bodybuilder goals, but strength training can help you get a lot more toned while also increasing the number of calories burned.
Can You Lose Weight With A Home Gym?
Yes, you can lose weight with a home gym, and it doesn’t take a huge amount of expensive equipment. It all comes down to maximizing the calories burned, and you can achieve that by jumping rope as much as with an exercise training machine.
Which Gym Equipment Is Best For Losing Weight?
An exercise bike is one of the best pieces of equipment for losing weight. It has a low impact on joints, and you can easily adjust the intensity to increase the calories burned in each workout.
Which Exercise Is Best For Fast Weight Loss At Home?
An elliptical trainer can be the best for fast weight loss at home, as it allows you to get your whole body moving. Advanced machines will also allow you to auto-adjust the resistance levels for different workout goals.
Which Machine Is Best For Belly Fat?
A rowing machine can be best for belly fat as it engages your legs, arms, shoulders, and core. The result is a full-body workout, and with the right resistance levels, it will boost your calories burned.
Which Piece of Equipment is Best for Weight Loss?
Based on all of our research and testing and the feedback from many clients and fitness coaches, the best piece of home exercise equipment to lose a few pounds is the Rogue Echo Bike.
You have a huge range of different settings, and the computer tracks a load of data about your workouts and progress.
It’s a commercial-grade machine at an incredibly affordable price. I’ve added one of these to my own garage gym, and a few of my clients have also reported great progress with one of these.
About The Author
You May Also Like