As a fitness trainer, I have gone through dozens of research trying to understand the effects of low testosterone in both men and women.
And, recently I came across the notion that low T can cause you to be cold.
I wanted to know more, so I went through numerous studies and talked to an endocrinologist to see if low T can affect body temperature.
I will provide the full details of my findings in this article.
Keep on reading.
- Low testosterone leads to high estrogen hormone levels that reduce body temperature by sending erroneous signals to the hypothalamus.
- Low testosterone can lead to low sex drive, being overweight, and mood swings.
- Improving your diet and exercising may help reduce the excess body fat which is associated with low testosterone.
Causes of Low Testosterone
Low testosterone may cause erectile dysfunction in men, as well as decreased bone mass and sexual drive in both men and women .
Testosterone levels normally decline as individuals age. However, low testosterone can also be caused by other health problems.
These may include:
- Testicular injury
- Alcohol consumption disorder
- Kidney disorder
- Liver cirrhosis
- Pituitary gland disorders
- Autoimmune disorder
- Inflammation of the testes
- Excessive weight or obesity
Having that in mind, low testosterone may not cause symptoms, and some individuals may only discover it after a normal physical check with blood tests.
How Can Low Testosterone Cause You to Be Cold?
Low testosterone causes you to be cold as it leads to excess estrogen within the body, which can reduce body temperature.
This hormonal imbalance causes heat to disperse and slows blood circulation to the feet and hands, rendering them more susceptible to cold .
Chills can develop when abnormal testosterone levels disrupt the hypothalamus, the part of the forebrain that regulates body temperature, among other things .
The body may feel too cold or hot when the hypothalamus receives inaccurate signals due to hormonal deficiency.
Controlling testosterone levels can aid men in reducing hot flashes, night sweating, or alternating heat and cold waves.
What Are the Common Symptoms of Low Testosterone?
The common symptoms of low testosterone include low sexual drive, hair loss, fatigue, dry skin, loss of muscle mass, and erectile dysfunction.
Let’s look at these symptoms in depth.
Low Testosterone Symptoms in Males
In males, low testosterone levels can cause symptoms such as:
- Low sexual drive: Testosterone plays an important role in keeping the libido in check. Some individuals may experience a decline in sex drive as they age, but those with low testosterone are more likely to undergo a more significant decrease .
- Difficulty getting and keeping an erection: When testosterone levels are low, it may be challenging to get an erection before intercourse or to experience spontaneous erections, such as when sleeping .
- Hair loss: Testosterone is involved in many bodily activities, including hair growth. Balding is a normal part of the aging process for many men, and although it can be inherited, individuals with low testosterone can also lose facial and body hair .
- Fatigue: Men with low testosterone might experience acute fatigue and energy loss . You may suffer from low testosterone if you're consistently exhausted despite getting enough rest or find it challenging to get motivated to work out.
Many of my male clients who suffered from low testosterone reported constantly feeling fatigued and not having the drive and motivation to complete a workout.
Low Testosterone Symptoms in Females
In addition, having low testosterone levels for longer periods could also lead to more significant conditions such as cardiovascular disease, poor cognition, and bone mass loss.
Other symptoms of low testosterone in women include:
- Hair thinning
- Dry skin
- Low sex drive
- Loss of muscle mass
In addition, this hormone deficiency can elevate body fat percentage and cause emotional changes (including increased anxiety) .
Other probable low T symptoms include sexual dysfunction and general weakness.
3 Natural Ways to Boost Testosterone
Aside from utilizing supplements, changing your diet and lifestyle is the recommended way to increase testosterone naturally and is essential for both preventing and treating low testosterone.
Here is what you can do:
- Get adequate sleep: Sleep and testosterone are connected. Hence, sleep deprivation may negatively impact the hormones the body requires to operate properly, particularly testosterone. Prioritizing sleep may aid with testosterone regulation. You should try to get at least seven to eight hours of sleep every night.
- Exercise: Testosterone-boosting exercises are a great method for keeping and growing muscle mass and reducing body fat. According to one research, certain overweight men between the ages of 14 and 20 had up to 50 percent less testosterone than non-obese males .
"Overweight men, especially those having a lot of abdominal fat, tend to have decreased testosterone levels."
- Dr. Sandra Dobs, Doctor of Medicine
- Improve your diet: Eating and maintaining a balanced diet boosts your testosterone production in two ways – It lowers the risk of blood sugar surges and promotes fat reduction and a healthy weight. Hence, a testosterone-boosting meal plan is recommended.
What Hormone Can Make You Cold?
The hormone that makes you feel cold is estrogen. Low testosterone leads to a rise in estrogen hormone that lowers the body temperature making you sensitive to cold.
How Do You Feel if Your Testosterone Is Low?
If your testosterone is low, you may feel fatigued and cold and may have a low sex drive and reduced muscle mass.
What Is the Main Cause of Low Testosterone?
The main cause of low testosterone is hypogonadism, a condition that prevents the testicles from producing enough testosterone.
How Can I Boost My Testosterone Fast?
You can boost your testosterone fast by improving your diet, exercising, and getting plenty of sleep.
Can You Be Cold Due to Low T?
Low testosterone has been shown to affect the hypothalamus leading to irregular body temperature and increasing your sensitivity to cold.
As I do with my clients, I encourage you to implement a healthy diet and exercise daily to prevent hormonal disruption.
That said, it’s always best to combine these healthy habits with high-quality testosterone boosters.
We tested many supplements and decided to put the best ones on the list.
These contain ingredients that boost testosterone, vitality, strength, and productivity.
About The Author
You May Also Like
29 Fitness Trainers Share Their Tips
What To Eat & What Supplements To Take?
Which One Is Better?