Hormones have an impact on much more than mood. These important chemicals are responsible for a variety of body activities, including reproduction, mobility, and more.
Good testosterone levels contribute to overall fertility, fat loss, muscle growth and male sexual health and development.
Because of this, I teamed up with a team of hormone experts to clarify what are the good testosterone levels in men and women for healthy living.
Read on and find out.
- The set normal testosterone levels as per the American Urological Association is at least 300 ng/L in males.
- Some signs of low testosterone levels are low libido, rapid weight gain, fatigue, issue concentrating on tasks, and having issues building up more lean muscles.
- Testosterone therapy, natural supplements, and eating healthy are some ways of boosting your testosterone levels.
What Are The Normal Testosterone Levels?
According to the American Urological Association, optimal or normal testosterone levels are at least 300 ng/L in males .
Any adult male with testosterone less than 300 ng/dL should visit a doctor for suggestions and recommendations on improving testosterone levels to the normal range.
Good Testosterone Levels By Age
In the adrenal glands, both men and women produce a little quantity of testosterone.
The gonads are the primary producers of testosterone. It's an androgen, which means it promotes the growth of male features.
For male teenagers, good testosterone levels should be above 300 ng/dL [2.]
Between the ages of 20 to 39, men need to have their testosterone levels between 300 and 800 ng/dL .
When men reach age 40, they need a minimum of 400-500 ng/dL of testosterone level in the body .
After the age of 60, men will probably notice they have low testosterone levels since it might be around 200 ng/dL or even less. As people age testosterone levels decline. Decline in T levels is linked to body composition changes.
Testosterone levels for women aged 19 and above are typically between 12 and 60 ng/dL .
“Testosterone is a critical male sex hormone and is responsible for male sexuality. The hormone produces the biological and psychological characteristics you’d associate with masculinity such as substantial muscle mass, strength, facial hair, libido, and sperm production.”
- Dr. Imran Khan, Male Health Specialist
The Signs and Symptoms of Low Testosterone
Testosterone production usually decreases as people get older. If testosterone production falls below normal, a number of symptoms can develop. Low T signs can show up in many ways .
Some of the symptoms of low testosterone are:
- Fatigue - You might feel exhausted even after sleeping for a long time.
- Low libido - You will find it harder to get sexually aroused and even face fertility problems.
- Lean muscle mass - You might not be able to build muscles as you used to.
- Lack of motivation - Concentrating on tasks becomes an issue, and you might end up watching TV the whole day.
- Weight gain - You might get fat even if you are not eating more than you did before
If your testosterone is declining and you face some of these symptoms, you should visit a doctor to help you determine how to get to healthy testosterone levels.
How to Test Your Testosterone Levels?
Visit your health care provider for a diagnosis and check your testosterone levels, which a blood test will help determine.
Keep in mind that testosterone levels vary throughout the day.
Since the levels are generally highest in the morning, you will most likely want to do the blood test as soon as you wake up.
In case you have low T, a doctor will provide medical advice on overcoming the deficiency.
Related Article: How To Test Testosterone Levels At Home?
Best Ways to Increase Testosterone Levels
If you are looking to achieve normal testosterone levels, you have various options to choose from. Have a look at the recommended ways to cure male hypogonadism.
1. Testosterone Therapy
For aged adults, testosterone replacement therapy may be an option to treat low T levels. However, make sure to consult with your doctor before having it as your last option.
TRT treatment comes in different forms:
2. Natural Supplements to Boost Low Testosterone
Testosterone boosters contain natural ingredients known to cure male hypogonadism. The ingredients also cure other conditions, but their main purpose is to raise testosterone levels .
Here are some useful ingredients to increase T-hormone:
- Vitamin D
- D-Aspartic Acid
3. Lifestyle Changes to Boost Testosterone
Suppose you don't have hypogonadism but wish to feel more energetic and build muscle. The following tips may help you increase testosterone without the need for hormone therapy.
- Maintain a healthy weight. Obese men are more likely to have low testosterone levels. Losing weight might restore testosterone.
- Exercise regularly. The average sedentary man has lower testosterone levels. Weightlifting can help increase testosterone production. The secret is to exercise often and be active.
- Sleep 7 to 8 hours every night. Sleep deprivation has an adverse effect on your total testosterone.
How To Maintain Good Testosterone Level?
Following a nutritious diet and leading a healthy lifestyle can help the body naturally enhance free testosterone levels.
However, if you have severe signs of low testosterone, such as low energy, decreased libido, or muscle loss, you may need extra supplementation.
If this is the case, speak with your health care provider about whether additional therapies, such as testosterone boosters or prescription supplements, are required.
Check out our roundup guide for the best testosterone supplements for men.
About The Author
You May Also Like
What To Eat & What Supplements To Take?
29 Fitness Trainers Share Their Tips
The Ultimate Immune System Booster?