Getting enough protein is not something only bodybuilders and CrossFit fanatics need to be concerned about.
Professionals in high-stress jobs, construction workers, busy parents and everybody in between needs to make sure they consume adequate levels of protein.
Protein is essential in helping you achieve your optimal weight, recover quickly after strenuous exercise, curb appetite, and build lean, resilient muscles.
If you are on the keto diet, then you have an especially keen interest in those benefits.
And any of the keto protein powders profiled below will help you in your quest to achieve them.
Our Top Keto Protein Powders (2021)
1 - Transparent Labs 100% Grass-Fed Whey Protein Isolate (Editor's Choice)
If you're looking for a clean protein that's low in carbs, this is what I recommend.
It's one of the cleanest protein powders on the market as it's got no artificial sweeteners, food dyes, gluten, and preservatives.
With 28 grams of protein, 1 gram of carbs and 120 calories per 32-gram scoop, it contains one of the highest protein-by-weight ratios in the market.
The flavors also tastes fairly good particularly the chocolate and salted caramel. However, there are other flavors as well such as strawberry and French vanilla.
- Low carb (1g) - perfect for the keto diet
- 100% grass-fed whey protein
- Sourced from grass fed hormone-free American Cows
- Tastes delicious with water or milk
- No artificial sweeteners, food dyes, gluten, and preservatives,
- Not available as an unflavored option
2 - BPI Sports ISO-HD
The period immediately following a workout is a critical time, especially for those on the keto diet.
Your body is craving nutrients in order to repair damaged tissue and build new, stronger muscle tissue in its wake.
If you don't give the essential amino acids your muscles need, your workout will wind up having done more harm than good.
With BPI ISO-HD, you rush necessary branched chain amino acids (BCAAs) to where they’re needed most and so stave off a long recovery period and set yourself up for a good next workout.
This product is also low in calories, low in carbs, and bristling with actionable protein.
- A keto friendly supplement that contains 25 grams low-carb whey protein isolate per serving
- Helps rebuild muscles if taken immediately after a workout
- Likely one of the best low-carb protein powders
- Contains high fructose corn syrup
As such, this keto shake will help you maintain your low-carb lifestyle while helping you ramp up your workouts to achieve new personal bests.
3 - Perfect Keto
Perfect Keto is devoid of artificial ingredients, uses natural sweeteners, and contains MCT (medium-chain triglyceride) oil powder which is well-known for its ability to raise blood ketone levels.
This protein powder also contains prebiotics that help maintain healthy intestinal flora which in turn helps promote proper digestion and rapid absorption.
Aside from being blood glucose neutral, it has the beneficial branched chain amino acids (BCAAs) your body needs to help with proper muscle regeneration.
The chocolate flavor is provided by way of natural cocoa powder and stevia. But there is also an unflavored option, along with five other flavors.
- Won’t raise blood sugar levels
- No artificial sweeteners or fillers
- Contains BCAAs for rapid muscle recovery
- Creates tasty low carb shakes
- Most folks would like to see a larger container
Each serving contains 10 grams of protein, 4 grams of fat and only 2 grams of carbohydrates, so your keto status is never in jeopardy.
4 - Optimum Nutrition Platinum Hydrowhey
Your keto lifestyle will help you reduce body fat, but the goal here is not just to get skinny. It's to get fit - and that means replacing fat stores with lean, responsive muscles.
Platinum Hydrowhey from Optimum Nutrition (ON) is sourced from hydrolyzed whey protein isolates which minimize digestive system resistance and smooth the way for optimal absorption of the important nutrients within.
ON Hydrowhey protein powder mixes easily with water and is available in a variety of flavors including cookies and cream, vanilla, strawberry, chocolate, and more.
- Hydrolyzed low carb whey protein
- Easy to digest and absorb
- Contains only 1.2 grams of carbs per serving
- Costs a bit more than other protein powders
Enjoy Hydrowhey protein powderbefore your workout to provide yourself that extra kick during workouts, or after your workout to speed up the delivery of important BCAAs to your hurting muscles.
5 - Isopure Protein Powder
If you’re looking for a keto-friendly protein powder that will also look after your other nutritional needs, then Isopure Zero Carb is possibly that product.
The folks at Nature's Best understand that when some people shift from a traditional diet to the keto lifestyle, they may have a difficult time obtaining all the nutrients they need from the new diet.
With Isopure Protein Powder, you not only get the BCAAs you need, but also vitamins A, C, B6 and B12 along with calcium, iron and niacin. The result is one of the most well-rounded keto friendly supplements on the market today.
- Contains an array of beneficial vitamins and minerals
- 25 grams of protein per serving
- Has zero carbs so it’s perfect for your keto diets
- Gluten, lactose, and GMO-free
- Makes tasty low carb protein shakes
- Contains some artificial flavors
Taking this product will help you lose weight and build muscle while also helping you maintain optimal overall health as you make the transition to your new leaner, stronger self with the help of the keto lifestyle.
6 - Julian Bakery Paleo Thin Egg White Protein
This keto-friendly protein powder is derived from hormone- and antibiotic-free eggs.
The folks at Julian Bakery are convinced that egg protein is the most effective, most bioavailable form of this nutrient and there’s plenty of science to back them up.
They make sure the eggs they use to create their supplement are not from chickens subjected to the kind of hormone and antibiotic bombardment that most poultry do today.
Also, there are no artificial ingredients in this supplement that would undermine the quality of their sources.
Each serving of the chocolate flavor contains 22 grams of highly pure egg protein along with only 5 grams of carbohydrates, 1 gram of fat and only 120 calories.
- Contains 5 grams of carbs per serving
- Sourced from hormone and antibiotic-free chickens
- Completely free of GMOs, soy and lactose
- Just make sure you mix it thoroughly
The Different Types of Keto Protein Powders
- Whey - Whey protein powders are considered by many to be the best type of low-carb protein powders for those on the keto diet. While the lactose intolerant will want to give it a pass, for everyone else it digests quickly and is absorbed effectively, rushing much-needed nutrients to hurting muscles.
- Egg - Egg protein powder is considered “paleo” because it’s been around so long. It’s a very lean type of protein that makes for an ideal supplement. It contains virtually no fat and no carbs and is great for those who are combining keto and weightlifting.
- Collagen - Collagen is an often the overlooked type, but it is actually an excellent source for supplemental protein for keto dieters. Collagen is low in carbs and fat, and it's essential for promoting healthy skin, bones, hair and nails. Along with muscles.
- Vegan/plant-based - Because vegans don't eat meat or fish or their by-products, it can be difficult for them to get adequate amounts of protein in their diet. But there are actually quite a few plant-based sources of this nutrient out there, and vegan supplements are typically very pure with high rates of bioavailability.
Many people following low-carb or ketogenic diets turn to protein powders to supplement their diet. However, choosing the right one to fit your low-carb or keto lifestyle can be challenging due to the countless forms and sources of protein powder.
How Much Protein Do You Need on Keto?
Honestly, there isn't actually a straight answer to this question. That’s because everyone’s protein requirements, even those who are not on the keto regimen, are different depending on their age, weight, metabolism, goals and whether or not there are any mitigating conditions. 
That said, to know what the US RDA of protein is for you, multiply your body weight (in pounds) by 0.6.
This will give you the minimum amount you should be eating (in grams). Keep in mind however that athletes are going to want to increase this amount by 50 to 100 percent.
When To Drink A Low -Carb Protein Shake
There are several schools of thought on this subject but here are the basic options:
- Before working out - This will help provide you with a carbo-kick so that you can power through that portion of the workout when you used to fade.
- Post workout - A post workout low carb protein shake is going to help your body repair damaged muscles and build new, stronger ones in their place.
- Before going to sleep - Taking a keto protein shake before going to bed can help your body repair itself while you sleep.
- First thing in the morning - They don’t call it “break-fast” for no reason. By the time you wake up, you've been without food for as much as a half day. Drinking a low-carb protein shake in the morning can go a long way toward setting your day off on the right foot.
People often wonder when the best time to take their protein powder is. This depends on your health and fitness goals. You may want to consume it at a particular time of day, depending on whether you want to lose weight, build muscle or preserve muscle.
- Ryan Raman, MS, RD
What is the best keto protein powder to build muscle?
The best keto protein powder to build muscle is whey protein powder. The first reason for this is the fact that whey contains one of the most complete ranges of amino acids that your muscles need to create new tissue. Secondly, it’s very easily digested meaning that it’s absorbed quickly when you need it most.
Are keto protein powders bad for your kidneys?
No, keto protein powders are not bad for your kidneys unless you already have an underlying kidney health condition. The ingredients in all protein powders, including keto-friendly ones, do not pose such health risks. If you’re concerned about an existing kidney issue, then consult with your doctor before taking any supplements.
Is too much keto-friendly protein powder bad for you?
Yes, too much keto-friendly protein powder can be bad for you, but the same is the case with any protein supplements. Your stomach will have difficulty dealing with very large volumes of protein, which can lead to some not so pleasant effects, including nausea and cramps.
Is it okay to take keto-friendly protein powder every day?
Yes, it is okay to take keto-friendly protein powder every day, as long as you stick to the recommended dose on the label. However, you won’t really gain all that much by taking protein supplements on a rest day, so you’re better off saving the money and taking it when your muscles need it most.
Should I take keto-friendly protein powders on rest days?
No, you shouldn’t take keto-friendly protein powders on rest days, as it won’t actually give you any added muscle recovery benefits. It’s in the immediate hours after exercising that your muscles will require lots of protein to help repair and build new muscle fibers.
Are there any side effects with taking keto protein powders?
Yes, there can be side effects with taking keto protein powders, but these are mainly due to excessive amounts or potential food intolerances and allergies. If you notice stomach upsets including nausea and cramps, or regular headaches after taking your supplement, then take a break or reduce the dose as all symptoms are fully reversible.
And Our #1 Keto Protein Powder Is...
The best keto protein powder will really help ramp up your workouts and the supplements profiled in this review all have what it takes to help.
However, Transparent Labs Whey Protein is a protein powder that is seen with favorable results among the rest.
It contains 28 grams of protein per serving, and it has only 1 gram of carbs to let you stay in ketosis state as well.
So, if you're into a low-carb lifestyle but would like to build strong and lean muscles, then Transparent Labs is a product you should consider.
HAVE QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS?
Join the discussion here on Facebook.