We’ve worked with people of all ages, and there are a few supplements that we always explore for some of our older clients.
One type of supplement that has gained more attention in the nutrition world is designed to boost nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD) levels.
There will be no rewards for being able to pronounce it, so from here on, we’ll just call it N A D.
Some research suggests that this supplement may help with DNA repair, anti-aging, and life extension, but we were more interested with its immediate effects on energy levels.
So we teamed up with a few clients to test some of the best NAD supplements and verify their claims to determine which one is right for your healthy aging.
Our Top NAD+ Supplements
1 - Tru Niagen® (Editor's Choice)
As one of the most popular nicotinamide riboside supplements on the list, Tru Niagen® is the product that our clients find to be the most effective. The specific source and type of nicotinamide were chosen based on scientific trials that showed positive results.
It contains 300 mg of nicotinamide riboside from Niagen®, the only patented and FDA-approved form of nicotinamide riboside.
With this, it claims to support cellular function and metabolism, increase cellular energy production, promote cellular repair, and defend cells against metabolic stresses in order to maintain overall health status.
Check out our full Tru Niagen review.
- Nicotinamide Riboside 300 mg
- Claims to help reduce metabolic stresses
- The formula was chosen based on results from human clinical trials
- Positive reviews about effects kicking in after two weeks
- Available with great subscription discounts
- The anti-aging effects may take longer to become visible
We noticed quite a few changes on our clients in just about two weeks, which also might make this one of the faster-acting nicotinamide riboside supplements.
This supplement also has a 150 mg version where you can take two capsules separately throughout the day to meet the recommended 300 mg daily dosage.
The only thing you might not notice immediately is the effect on the physical aging as this could take several months.
2 - Toniiq NMN
This NMN (nicotinamide mononucleotide) supplement from Toniiq claims to be one of the stronger options available, which could be a good choice for older people trying to achieve a more significant boost.
Aside from having a minimalist packaging, it also boasts a highly purified form of NMN of at least 99% purity which enhances its potency in releasing precursors to your body to produce more NAD.
The product has also been designed to be stable at room temperature, which means you won’t need to keep it in the fridge.
- NMN 500 mg
- UltraNMN formula claims to be of the highest grade
- Claims to be shelf stable, so doesn’t require refrigeration
- It’s an affordable bulk order option
- Requires two capsules daily for the full dose
Just keep in mind that the larger dose will require taking two pills per day, which might not suit people who don’t like swallowing capsule supplements.
3 - Thorne Research ResveraCel
Thorne's products are considered one of the cleanest supplements on the market which makes it the top choice for athletes.
As one of the most trusted brands in providing dietary supplements, Thorne Research's ResveraCel is another product where we saw quite a few positive comments online about how it could improve the levels of NAD precursors.
This would explain why quite a few older people seem to show signs of improvement within weeks.
With 415 mg of nicotinamide riboside (NR), ResveraCel claims to promote healthy aging process by targeting the effects from inside and out. It also has an added clinically proven ingredients like quercetin phytosome, trans-resveratrol, and betaine anhydrous to increase NR's effectiveness.
- Nicotinamide Riboside 300 mg
- Seems to work well for stabilizing anti-aging effects at the cell level
- Batches go through multiple rounds of testing to ensure quality and purity
- May also support healthy heart and cognitive function
- Gluten, soy, and dairy-free
- The capsules are almost an inch long, making them a bit difficult to swallow
These capsules are possibly the largest we encountered, so keep that in mind before ordering.
4 - NMN Plus
This NMN supplement stood out because the company made it clear that they kept the formula as simple as possible to avoid any use of allergens or fillers. It literally contains 500 mg of nicotinamide mononucleotide only, nothing unnecessary.
Users have reported that they feel a better mental attitude and improved brain energy  upon taking this supplement.
We also noted that people are saying their sleep patterns have improved.
- NMN 300 mg
- Uses a simple formula with no additives or fillers
- Could improve your mood and sleep pattern
- Seems to have positive reviews about the boosted brain function
- Some of the benefits might take more than 30 days to kick in
While most NMN supplements typically need to be stored in low temperatures, this supplement from NMN Plus is completely stable in non-refrigerated temperatures which makes it convenient to use.
We just found that some health benefits didn’t show up until consistently using it for about a month.
5 - eSquared Nutrition Nicotinamide with Resveratrol
We thought this supplement has a clever name. If you’re a science nerd, you might notice the hint at Einstein's formula.
It contains 500 mg of nicotinamide and 100 mg of resveratrol to enhance its effects on cellular health & repair, NAD levels, and anti-aging.
A few of our clients reported a significant change in their energy and sleep patterns upon using this product.
People also like the long term effects that might reduce some natural aging in the body .
- Nicotinamide 500mg, Resveratrol 100mg
- Might help boost energy levels as well as immunity
- Claims to be a flush-free product to avoid side effects
- Seems to provide good anti-aging and anti-inflammatory properties
- Resveratrol is not suitable for people undergoing blood-thinning medication
The important thing to keep in mind with resveratrol is that it’s not suitable for some types of medication.
6 - MAAC10 NMN
We like that MAAC10 takes consistency and quality seriously. Every batch of this supplement is tested to ensure you always get the right grade and concentration.
The amount of nicotinamide mononucleotide per serving is quite low at 125 mg so you may need to take more than one serving per day, depending on your needs. It's best to consult a doctor first if you plan to take more than the recommended dosage.
You also have the option to ask for your money back within 60 days of purchase if you’re not satisfied with the changes it might bring to your life.
- NMN 125 mg
- Claims to be more stable and effective than nicotinamide riboside
- Tested for 99% purity and higher-grade content
- Comes with a 60-day money-back guarantee for peace of mind
- The dosage is quite low, so may not be as effective as the others
I would say that this isn’t the best option if you’re looking to make a more significant change in your body as the dosage is quite low.
7 - Ultra Health NAD+
Ultra Health NAD+ is among the cheaper nicotinamide riboside supplements available. However, that doesn’t mean it uses inferior ingredients that aren't backed by science.
We saw some blood test results from users that showed an increase in NAD levels after a month of consistent intake.
- Nicotinamide Riboside 300 mg
- Claims to target cellular level immunity to help with age-related problems
- Test results show it may be effective at triggering NAD precursors
- It’s a cheaper option but still seems to work well
- Requires taking two capsules per day
With 500 mg of nicotinamide riboside, it's a 100% vegan-friendly supplement made with microcrystalline and vegetable cellulose.
However, you will need to take two capsules for the full dosage.
8 - HPN Nutraceuticals Nicotinamide Riboside
This HPN supplement was also positively reviewed by many users for all aspects of life. Better physical performance, mental boosts, and improved immunity were all mentioned.
It does these by giving the body 311 mg of NAD+ boosters called NAD3 which is comprised of Wasabia japonica, theacrine, and cuprous niacin.
It also claims to help reduce metabolic disease issues that could often leave you feeling sluggish.
- Nicotinamide Riboside 250 mg
- Seems to be working well for improving mood and brain function
- Claims to enhance your natural metabolism for more effective energy production
- Positive comments about measurable increases in levels of NAD
- The capsules are pretty big and may take getting used to
You might need to get used to the size of the capsules, as they aren’t the easiest to swallow.
9 - Genex Formulas Nicotinamide Riboside
Close to the last of our best recommended NAD supplements is from another company that has kept the formula as simple as possible with only 300 mg of nicotinamide riboside as its main ingredient.
It should support higher NAD levels within about four weeks, which is a bit longer than other products but still a decent time frame for an overall increase.
- Nicotinamide Riboside 250 mg
- Keeps the formula simple, so you know what you get
- Positive comments about boosted energy levels and mood
- Doesn’t contain allergens and fillers that might cause side effects
- Some reports about missing pills in bottles
We did notice that a few people have complained about the bottles not containing the right number of pills.
10 - Vivalifer NMN Super Nicotinamide Mononucleotide
Vivalifer NMN is probably one of the best NMN supplements out on the market.
Some studies show that the mononucleotide type used in this product might help with getting better sleep . That might have significant rejuvenating benefits within just a few days.
We also saw quite a few comments where people said they had their NAD levels tested and that there was a measured improvement after taking it for several weeks.
- Nicotinamide Mononucleotide (NMN) 500 mg
- Positive comments about boosted NAD+ levels providing more energy
- Free from common allergens and artificial additives
- Seems to support better sleep cycles
- The capsules are not the smallest to swallow
The only thing we found is that the capsules are a bit on the large side.
There’s a complex, two-way relationship between NAD and circadian rhythms, one that influences sleep-wake patterns and other important physiological processes, including metabolism.
- Dr. Michael Breus, Sleep Specialist
What is Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide (NAD+)?
Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide or NAD+ is a coenzyme found in all living cells that plays an essential role in maintaining proper cell function and energy metabolism.
Basically, NAD+ helps cells create more energy so we can have more cells to do work for the body, hence better cell function. Aside from aiding in the healthy aging process, NAD+ fuels many biological process like [4}:
- Increasing damaged DNA repair
- Converting food into energy
- Supporting cells' defense systems
- Setting circadian rhythms or internal body clock
However, as we age, our healthy supply of NAD+ declines, and so does our longevity. It becomes pretty easy for our body to develop chronic diseases like heart disease, vision loss, diabetes, and Alzheimer’s disease.
But that's not the only catch. Even other metabolic stressors can also cause a decline in NAD+ levels and these include lack of physical activity, sleep disturbance, and too much alcohol intake.
As such, NAD+ boosters like nicotinamide riboside (NR) and nicotinamide mononucleotide (NMN) supplements have quickly become an easy and efficient way to effectively increase NAD+ levels.
What's The Difference Between NR and NMN?
While both nicotinamide riboside and nicotinamide mononucleotide are precursors to the essential molecule NAD+, there are small differences between the two that may affect the efficacy and efficiency of conversion to NAD+.
But before anything, it should be noted that the body cannot make NAD+ without the amino acid tryptophan. Thus, it's important to take supplements with tryptophan to reap the benefits of NAD+ boosters.
- NR and NMN have roughly similar structures, but NMN has an extra phosphate group which makes it a larger molecule than NR. With this, scientists suggest than NMN is too large to enter cells so it must be first converted to NR.
- NMN is an immediate precursor of NAD+, which means that it directly converts to NAD+ with the help of an enzyme. NR, on the other hand, needs to be converted into NMN first.
So which is better?
Unfortunately, there is no enough information to answer that question right now, but the good news is that both precursors have been proven to be safe for human use . More research and clinical trials are needed to verify their effects and efficacy.
Benefits of NAD+ Supplements
- Promotes Healthy Aging
While NAD+ supplements won't reverse time to make you younger, studies show that they can help to counter age-related health conditions like diabetes, vision loss, heart disease, cancer, and arthritis .
- Helps in Protecting Brain Cells
Since NAD+ helps protect cells from impaired mitochondrial function and oxidative stress, scientists believe that these are linked to the development of age-related brain disorders like Parkinson's and Alzheimer's disease .
- Aids in Weight Loss
Studies suggest that nicotinamide riboside can help speed up the metabolism of mice by increasing thermogenesis which can result to better weight management .
- Enhances Muscle Function
While most people use NAD+ supplements for health reasons, some athletes and exercise enthusiasts also take one to improve their physical performance. Studies have linked NAD+ supplements to better muscle function and increased strength and endurance .
Side Effects of NAD+ Supplements
NAD+ boosters, both NR and NMN, are generally safe for human use, as several clinical human trials show. A study shows that taking 1,000 to 2,000 mg of nicotinamide riboside per day do not cause adverse side effects .
However, other studies reveal that some users may experience mild side effects such as fatigue, nausea, diarrhea, headaches, and indigestion.
To prevent these side effects, stick with the recommended dosage of your NAD+ supplement.
NAD+ supplements are usually in the form of capsule or tablet, like the products mentioned in this review.
Most brands recommend taking 200–500 mg of either nicotinamide riboside or nicotinamide mononucleotide per day which is the equivalent of 1 to 2 capsules.
It's best to consult a doctor first before taking more than the recommended daily dosage.
Is NMN Better Than NAD?
No, NMN isn’t better than NAD, as they are completely different substances. NMN works as a precursor to NAD, meaning it is converted to NAD with the help of specific enzymes. Studies have shown that taking NMN supplements is an effective way to increase NAD levels in your body and support healthy aging.
At What Age Does NAD Decrease?
NAD levels decrease from a young age after puberty. But the most notable reduction comes after age 50 when measured levels might drop as much as 50%. This is why it’s a commonly recommended supplement for older people to support healthy aging.
The Best NAD+ Supplement Is...
All of our testing has made us conclude that Tru Niagen Nicotinamide Riboside is the best supplement you can buy at the moment. It seems to provide the best form for higher absorption, and its success is backed by science.
Our clients have all had positive things to say about it and their performance at the gym and motivation to exercise more have all improved.
You should also try to take advantage of the bulk discounts available, which most other products don’t offer.
And make sure you report back to us how quickly you think it resulted in some improvements for your body.