In the past, it seemed that if you wanted to get the most from your workouts you simply had to eat right, drink plenty of water, and get enough sleep.
While those things are still vital to overall health and well-being, it's also come to the attention of nutritionists and trainers that providing yourself with a bit of a boost before you hit the gym or the track or the CrossFit box can work wonders.
Which is why pre-workout supplements for women are now quite popular.
Pre-workout supplements are helping countless women push past performance barriers that used to stand in their way and enabling them to achieve the results they long imagined but could never before attain.
Different manufacturers take slightly different approaches to the formulation of pre-workout supplements for women. But, those on this list all achieve a level of effectiveness that makes them noteworthy.
Our Top Pre-Workouts for Women (2021)
1 - Powher (Editor's Choice)
Powher - literally pronounced “pow her” is a premium pre-workout explicitly designed for women. It is focused on promoting stable energy and quicker weight loss.
Toning is the main objective of this product and not muscle building. As a result, Powher is a creatine-free pre-workout supplement, unlike other products on the market.
Instead, it uses a range of natural energizers aimed at promoting greater stamina, motivation, and strength during exercise.
This ensures that you will get 100% from your workouts, which should translate to a lower figure on the scales.
What’s more, Powher’s natural formula has been developed for superior taste and is completely guilt-free, with only 3g of carbohydrates per daily serving.
- Smooth, powerful boost of energy without the side effects
- 500mg of caffeine amplifier EnXtra
- Longer lasting energy
- Good choice for weight loss
- Not available on Amazon
This ensures that you will get 100% from your workouts, which should translate to a lower figure on the scales. What’s more, Powher’s natural formula has been developed for superior taste and is completely guilt-free with only 3g of carbohydrates per daily serving.
The best ingredients in this supplement include the caffeine amplifier EnXtra and the fatigue crushing Oxyjun. On top of this, Coconut water powder helps deliver much needed hydration to keep you feeling fit and healthy while you train.
2 - 4 Gauge Pre-Workout Supplement
The 4 Gauge pre-workout supplement is designed to increase your stamina and make it easier for you to complete the type of workouts that lead to building muscle mass.
Workouts of any sort are certainly better than sitting around, but many women simply spin their health wheels year after year without making any real progress.
With 4Gauge as a pre-workout supplement, you’ll enjoy more vigorous workouts, experience greater endurance, and push through those points in your workout when you used to crash.
- Boosts energy levels to improve performance
- Contains no artificial ingredients or fillers.
- Doesn't rely on sugar to provide the boost.
- Low in calories.
- May cause an upset stomach.
4 Gauge includes L-theanine, creatine, caffeine, L-citrulline, red beet extract, and other ingredients intended to help you burn fat and replace it with lean, resilient muscle.
3 - Cira Pre-Game Pre-Workout
Pre-Game has a good amount of L-citrulline and beta-alanine to help you go harder on your workouts.
The combination of ingredients is made to give a significant energy boost especially during strength and endurance training.
It has 200 grams of caffeine anhydrous, which may help with better focus during your workout.
The flavors -- peach bellini and pink candy -- are very refreshing and ideal for ladies who don’t enjoy typical pre-workouts that taste bland and gritty.
- Good ingredient combination to address energy, endurance, and strength
- Delicious flavors available
- Contains caffeine and l-theanine for focus and mental stamina
- Only requires 1 scoop per serving
- Contains artificial flavors
It does contain artificial flavorings, so if you’re sensitive to those, this might not be the best option.
4 - Transparent Labs
Lean from Transparent Labs is loaded with branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs) that stimulate protein synthesis and lay the foundations for lean, powerful muscles.
Before you can take advantage of the muscle building properties of BCAAs, you first need to engage in the kind of workout that produces them.
For an extra boost, Lean contains natural stimulants caffeine and L-theanine.
When combined, these two ingredients - along with Lean's thermogenic complex which enhances metabolic processes and promotes fat burning - enables your body to live up to the expectations your mind is establishing.
- Addresses and enhances all aspects of your workout
- 4 grams of essential BCAAs in every serving
- Ideal for those seeking to build more powerful physiques
- 30 mg of zinc per serving to stimulate muscle creation
- Best not used right before sleep
If you’re looking for a powerful balance of pre workout energy, fat burners and muscle builders, Lean Women’s Pre Workout Supplement should be on your list.
5 - Nitrosurge
When it comes to pre workout supplements for women, you want one that is going to give you a jolt of energy without making you feel jittery, help you break through performance barriers that used to limit you, and allow your body to repair and rebuild your muscles into a stronger, more durable state.
Nitrosurge contains ingredients like betaine anhydrous, beta alanine, L-theanine, and caffeine that helps deliver pre workout energy you want.
Besides energizing you for the workout ahead and repairing your muscles afterward, Nitrosurge also boosts nitric oxide levels that help increase blood flow to optimize endurance and provide an impressive pump.
- Boosts nitric oxide levels to increase blood flow
- Provides the boost you need to get you going
- Promotes effective muscle repair and rejuvenation
- Made in the USA
- Has a mild fishy odor, though nothing serious
Produced in a Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP)-certified facility and backed with a 100% satisfaction guarantee, Nitrosurge is the ideal female pre-workout supplement and fat burner for those looking to build muscle and lose fat.
Savings start from 10% this June
6 - RSP AminoLean
Amino acids are the building blocks of life - and when it comes to human physiology, it is the building blocks of musculature.
There are 22 different amino acids, but the body cannot synthesize some of these by itself. In other words, it needs to obtain these from outside, typically dietary sources.
That’s where pre workouts supplements like RSP AminoLean come in. RSP AminoLean helps provide the essential amino acids your body needs to effectively repair muscle tissue in the wake of a strenuous workout.
- Provides the full range of essential amino acids
- Helps build leaner, stronger muscles
- Includes the natural stimulant caffeine
- Helps initiate fat breakdown
- Contains sucralose (Splenda) for flavoring
But, it doesn’t stop there. It also provides the BCAAs (branched chain amino acids) that are necessary to build new, stronger muscles the body wants to create now that it knows you’re going to need them.
If you're looking to lose weight, RSP also have fat burners that you can try.
7 - Red Leaf Pre-Workout Energizer
Red Leaf Pre Workout Energizer is not made specifically for women, but there is no reason you should let that prevent you from taking advantage of its many benefits.
Red Leaf provides a jitter-free jolt so that you can readily hit the gym. Like most similar supplements, Red Lead uses caffeine to create that jolt.
However, it doesn't lean so heavily on it that it would leave you jittering all over while working out.
Red Leaf is also rich in antioxidants that attack the free radicals in your system that cause cell death and includes plenty of BCAAs to promote muscle recovery and growth.
- Only a moderate amount of caffeine
- Plenty of the BCAAs your muscles need
- Rich in free radical fighting antioxidants
- Guaranteed and affordable
- If you're looking for a caffeine moon shot, you'll be disappointed
It's a safe, effective pre-workout supplement for both men and women.
8 - RARI Nutrition
The marketing for RARI Nutrition pre-workout supplement is a bit disingenuous, implying that it somehow uses alternative methods of getting you jacked for a workout.
However, these methods won't leave you jittering or cause you to ‘crash.'
The fact is, it uses caffeine, just like all the best female pre-workout supplements out there.
But, just because the ads are of questionable value doesn't mean the supplement itself doesn't work.
Besides caffeine, the RARI Nutrition pre-workout supplement also contains L-tyrosine and citrulline malate which help improve focus and enhance the quality and size of your pumps.
- Provides the boost you need prior to working out
- Enhances the quality of your pump
- Stimulates focus and improves mental acuity
- Pretty heavy on the caffeine
It’s also made in a GMP-certified facility and backed by a generous money-back guarantee.
9 - Legion Pulse
Legion Pulse leans heavier on caffeine than most of the best female pre-workout supplements on the market.
If caffeine is not an issue for you, that's great, because it's going to provide you with an unparalleled jolt prior to hitting the gym.
If caffeine does tend to get under your skin, you'll need to be careful to use less than the recommended amount. Perhaps it is better to use half a scoop rather than a full scoop.
Thankfully, it also contains plenty of branched chain amino acids to improve recovery times and enable the building of larger, stronger muscles.
- One of the most potent doses of caffeine you’ll find
- No artificial ingredients or fillers
- Includes electrolytes that help stave off muscle fatigue
- No getting around the size of the caffeine dose
L-citrulline also helps improve blood flow, which is crucial to enabling your muscles to answer the call as you attempt to push through and establish new personal bests.
Essential Ingredients in a Pre-Workout
As we mentioned at the outset, different producers take slightly different routes to reach the qualifications of optimum female pre-workout supplements.
Some ingredients, however, are more important than others. As such, the most highly recommended pre-workout for women will include some or all of the following essential ingredients:
- Caffeine - Let’s be real here and admit there are only so many safe and legal ways to provide the energy boost you want from a women's pre-workout supplement. The best and easiest method is caffeine. As such, you'll want a pre-workout supplement that includes caffeine.
- BCAAs - Branched-chain amino acids play a vital role in protein synthesis. Without adequate supplies of BCAAs, your muscles cannot properly repair themselves after a strenuous workout, nor will your muscle building efforts produce the results you want.
- Creatine - Creatine is used by the body to help in muscle recovery and rejuvenation. It is believed to play a critical role in the production of healthy muscle fibers and, as such, is a fairly common ingredient.
- Nitric Oxide boosters - NO boosters include L-arginine, L-citrulline and L-norvaline. These compounds promote blood flow and, therefore, oxygen delivery to the muscles, which is important in maintaining stamina during the most difficult parts of your workout.
- Proprietary blends - One thing you are not going to want to see in your pre-workout for are ingredients clustered under the proprietary blend label. Manufacturers are supposed to use this label to protect trade secrets. Unfortunately, they often use it to hide the fact that they are scrimping on important ingredients.
What are the Potential Side Effects?
Potential side effects of pre-workout supplements for women include:
- Trouble sleeping - Too much caffeine may disrupt your sleep patterns.
- Dehydration - Pre-workout supplements often include diuretics, so always drink plenty of water.
- Anxiety - Mostly a side effect of excessive amounts of caffeine.
- Elevated blood pressure - While elevated blood pressure is not common, it can happen.
- Jitters - Again, a side effect of excessive caffeine.
- Renal failure - If you already suffer kidney ailments, even the best female pre-workout supplements may aggravate them.
Read our full article for all the potential pre-workout dangers and side effects. Take time to read the article about everything you need to know about bodybuilding and workout supplements.
Pre-Workout Supplement FAQs
Are pre-workout supplements for women safe?
A healthy woman using the best female pre-workout supplements as directed should not experience any problems other than perhaps one or two of the mentioned side effects above.
Will pre-workout supplements cause insomnia?
If you are sensitive to the effects of caffeine, you may find your sleep disrupted. If this happens, either cut down on the amount of the supplement you’re using or switch to a brand that includes less caffeine.
Should I take these supplements with food?
Most pre-workout supplements for women recommend you take them on an empty stomach. This does not preclude you from eating, but eating may neutralize the effectiveness to some degree.
How long before working out should I take it?
Although each supplement is slightly different, as a general rule, you'll want to take the best female pre-workout supplement approximately half an hour before you exercise.
Should I use pre-workout supplements for women in the evening?
It will depend to some degree on the time. If it’s 5 or 6 hours before you normally turn in, it may be fine. However, if it's late in the evening, you may want to take a pass.
Can I have coffee as a pre-workout drink?
Yes, you can drink coffee before working out. Apart from being a good source of caffeine, it also has tons of fat-burning properties, especially if you drink it without sugar or cream. Drink it at least 30 minutes before your workout for optimum boost. You may also take some green tea extract as a pre-workout drink.
Our #1 Recommended Pre-Workout for Women Is...
The best pre-workout for women will enable you to get more from your exercise routines and achieve a higher level of overall fitness and health. While many of the ones on our list may serve you well, Powher is considered the top product that we would recommend.
The combination of branched chain amino acids and nitric oxide boosting properties means you'll get more blood and oxygen to your muscles during your workout and enjoy shorter recovery times afterward.
If you're still looking for proof, Mary from the UK has proudly posted these photos online to share her experience and inspire others to start their journey. (1)
In addition, the caffeine load is moderate enough to minimize potential side effects like jitteriness and insomnia.
Our #1 Pre-Workout for Women
- Smooth, powerful boost of energy without the side effects
- 500mg of caffeine amplifier EnXtra
- Longer lasting energy
- Good choice for weight loss
- Get the BEST PRICE until the end of June
HAVE QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS?
Join the discussion here on Facebook.