As a personal fitness instructor, I work with clients and nutritionists all the time to come up with a plan to promote male health. And one of the dietary supplements that I heard a lot of nutritionists recommend for prostate health is saw palmetto.
You'll find this extract from a palm-like shrub in many health food stores, but my nutritionist recommended looking at concentrated supplements instead.
So, our team got together with a few clients to test out dozens of products over a couple of weeks.
Here is the resulting list of best saw palmetto supplements for you to choose from.
The Best Saw Palmetto Supplements
- Best Overall Palmetto Supplement: Saw Palmetto Plus by Essential Elements
- Cheapest Palmetto Supplement: Havasu Nutrition Saw Palmetto
- Best Palmetto Softgels for Women: Saw Palmetto Plus by Essential Elements
- Best Palmetto Capsules for Men: Agobi Premium Saw Palmetto
- Best Palmetto Supplement for Sleep: Saw Palmetto Plus by Essential Elements
- Best Pure Palmetto Supplement: Zhou Saw Palmetto
Our Top Saw Palmetto Supplements (December 2023)
1 - Saw Palmetto Plus by Essential Elements (Best Overall & for Sleep)
Saw Palmetto Plus by Essential Elements uses high-quality ingredients that support different aspects of male health.
This all-natural supplement has a potent expert-made DHT-blocking formula that may help reduce prostate size, increase hair growth, boost energy levels, and support bladder function.
It is also noted for its effectiveness in women particularly aiding in hormonal balance and hair loss treatment due to its rich biochemical composition.
One of the things that the test subjects loved about Saw Palmetto was the easy-to-swallow soft gel capsules that made taking the pills easier. The biochemical compounds including plant sterols and fatty acids had a positive effect on bladder control and reduced nighttime bathroom visits.
This non-GMO product is also free of dairy, gluten, preservatives, and soy. Plus, it’s manufactured in the U.S. and offers a friendly 365-day money-back guarantee.
- Form: Softgels
- Dosage: 320mg
- Supports prostate and urinary health
- Slows hair thinning
- Improves bladder control
- No preservatives and common allergens
- Only available on the website
2 - Havasu Nutrition Saw Palmetto (Cheapest)
Top of our best saw palmetto supplements list is this one from Havasu.
The company has specifically designed it to promote prostate health, drawing aspirations from the historical use of palmetto by indigenous tribes to treat urinary tract issues.
Some of my male clients who have used it for a long time reported seeing positive effects when it comes to prostate and urinary tract issues .
I put these at the top of the list because the dosage of 600 mg is in the generally recommended range, and the capsules are easy to swallow .
- Supplement Facts: Form: Capsules, Dosage: 600mg
- Combines saw palmetto berry extract and powder
- Capsules are small enough to swallow easily
- There are great subscription discounts available
- Comes with a money-back guarantee for a risk-free trial
- Some people said they could smell the ingredient from their breath
3 - Dr. Martin's Nutrition Saw Palmetto
I can personally vouch for Dr. Martin's Pure Saw Palmetto after incorporating it into my daily routine and seeing positive results in urinary health. It also contributed to the thickness and health of my hair. One of my clients who tried it in the testing phase also reported a positive impact on their blood pressure and overall well-being.
The company claims that the more potent dosage would help with preventing thinning hair. While studies have shown links for this benefit, it's still not an entirely understood effect .
Our testing with clients showed some improvements in healthy prostate function, especially with men over 50.
- Supplement Facts: Form: Capsules, Dosage: 1,000mg
- Stronger dose formula is split over two capsules to adjust the intake
- Claimed benefits include hair loss prevention
- Comes in a large bottle of 180 capsules
- It's not always in stock making resupply a bit difficult
4 - NOW Supplements Saw Palmetto
NOW Supplements has taken a slightly different approach by adding pumpkin seed oil to improve prostate health further .
And with the lower dose per serving, you should find it easier to get an exact amount if you've had a recommendation from a doctor or nutritionist.
I also like that this one comes in soft gels rather than capsules, it made it easier for me to swallow. My colleagues too find the smaller size easier to take than large pills.
I just wish that the company would make it available in larger bottles for bulk-order savings.
- Supplement Facts: Form: Softgels, Dosage: 320mg
- Contains pumpkin seed oil for additional prostate gland benefits
- A lower dose makes it easier to get a precise amount per day
- Softgel serving is effortless to swallow without getting stuck
- It's not available in bulk order bottles
5 - Zhou Saw Palmetto (Best Certified)
This Zhou saw palmetto supplement has a 500 mg dose containing 45% fatty acids per dose from a mix of saw palmetto berry powder and extract.
The company claims this is a more effective combination, but I couldn't find studies that confirmed this.
Our test results with clients were positive for prostate and urinary health, but I would highlight that you might need to take two capsules a day to get the full benefits.
- Supplement Facts: Capsules, Dosage: 500mg
- Capsules seem to be smaller than average, making them easy to swallow
- GMP-certified for purity and quality standards
- The manufacturer offers a no questions money-back guarantee
- Some men might need a stronger dose
“The [saw palmetto] fatty acids in question have the ability to block an enzyme that converts testosterone into dihydrotestosterone (DHT), the latter of which is a more androgenic form and can cause hair loss in the genetically susceptible.”
- Kamal Patel, Editor at Examine.com
6 - Agobi Premium Saw Palmetto (Best for Men)
I was impressed by the comprehensive approach to prostate health that comes with the Agobi supplement. The blend of 11 different ingredients, including saw palmetto, Ashgawandha, ginger, black pepper extract, and Tribulus offered a holistic experience. I personally felt a boost in my energy levels and overall well-being, something that other testers also experienced.
This product should provide good support for the urinary tract and also help to prevent prostate cancer.
I also heard from a few clients who had measured higher testosterone levels after taking this product for a month.
The only thing I'd say is that some of the extracts other than saw palmetto berry could be a bit stronger, meaning that you might still need to stack this with other testosterone boosters if your primary goal is to increase T-levels.
- Supplement Facts: Form: Capsules, Dosage: 300mg
- Includes 11 different plant sterols that aim to prevent prostate cancer
- Positive reviews about improved testosterone production and sexual function
- Small enough once a day capsule makes it more convenient
- The dosage of some ingredients is a bit low
7 - Horbaach Saw Palmetto Extract
This Horbaach product aims to improve overall prostate health by delivering a significantly higher dose of saw palmetto powder.
But even if you don't need the full 3,600 mg per day, you can reduce your intake to 1,200 mg since that’s the amount per capsule.
Many users said they liked spreading their intake out over the day, which can be a convenient way to maximize the effect.
- Supplement Facts: Form: Capsules, Dosage: 3,600 mg
- High-potency saw palmetto content for maximum effect on prostate function
- Easy to adjust serving of 3 capsules a day to fine-tune your intake
- Many positive comments that it helps with hair growth and sexual dysfunction
- It's been regularly out of stock, so you might need to order extra bottles when available
8 - Saw Palmetto Plus by Essential Elements
This saw palmetto supplement claims to have been medically proven to help with chronic pelvic pain syndrome and chronic prostatitis.
This may have to do with the added pumpkin and cranberry seed oils .
I heard from a few clients that they slept much better as they didn't have as many disruptions due to frequent urination.
- Supplement Facts: Form: Softgels, Dosage: 320mg
- Contains added pumpkin and cranberry seed oil for improved urinary function
- Claims to have been proven to help with prostate enlargement
- Positive feedback about improved sleep patterns with fewer disruptions
- Not suitable for vegans due to gelatin content in the capsules
9 - Natures Craft Saw Palmetto
Natures Craft has chosen a good dose that should make it easier for you to adjust your intake to achieve better prostate health.
One thing we got positive comments on was that some of our clients said that it had improved hair growth.
That may have to do with the purity, as this saw palmetto supplement is GMP-certified, ensuring a certain quality standard.
- Supplement Facts: Form: Capsules, Dosage: 500mg
- Small capsules are easy to swallow and provide a simple-to-adjust dose
- Positive feedback that it helps with an enlarged prostate and prevents hair loss
- Processed in a GMP-certified way for higher purity and quality
- It's one of the more expensive products considering the dosage
10 - Nature's Way Saw Palmetto
I had the opportunity to try Nature's Way Saw Palmetto in the testing phase. I must say that the product's purity translated to overall health benefits. Many of my clients reported improved prostate health and overall well-being after taking the product.
The dose per capsule is fine, but the company recommends taking it three times a day, which makes it an expensive supplement.
- Supplement Facts: Form: Capsules, Dosage: 585mg
- Small capsules make taking a larger daily dose much easier
- Comes in large bottles of 180 capsules that lasts longer
- Many positive reviews about healthy hair and better energy levels
- Taking it three times a day, as it says on the bottle, makes this quite expensive
11 - Swanson Saw Palmetto Extract
The final one of our best saw palmetto supplements is this Swanson product that you can order in large bottles with good bulk order discounts.
The one thing that stood out is that it uses the whole saw palmetto berry as a source, which should provide a pure extract form.
We also got positive reviews from clients both for hair loss and as a prostate health supplement.
- Supplement Facts: Form: Capsules, Dosage: 540mg
- Sourced from whole saw palmetto berry for higher purity
- Good reviews that it can help with hair loss
- Available in large bulk-order bottles of 250 capsules
- Some people have complained that it's regularly out of stock
How We Tested the Products
We always strive to bring you comprehensive and unbiased reviews. It was not different with Saw Palmetto supplements. We employed a meticulous methodology to ensure each product listed here passed our stringent evaluation.
Selection of Products
We began with a comprehensive market scan to identify the diverse range of Saw Palmetto supplements. Among the things we considered included reputable brands, customer reviews, and product composition to curate a list of products that promise quality and efficacy.
Involvement of a Nutritionist
To ensure accuracy and reliability, we enlisted the expertise of a nutritionist. Her role was instrumental in analyzing the ingredients of each product. She also evaluated the potency and safety.
Real World Testing
Our team which included myself and a group of volunteers who mostly comprised some of my clients tested each of the selected supplements. The process spanned several weeks.
We monitored and documented the effects while paying close attention to aspects such as improvements in urinary health, hair growth, and overall health.
Analyzing the Results
After testing the products, we collated the data and analyzed it with the assistance of the nutritionist.
We evaluated the effectiveness, onset of results, and any side effects each product potentially caused.
We rated each based on performance, authenticity of ingredients, and user experience
You have to keep two important things in mind when choosing between saw palmetto supplements.
The first reason you need to take a careful look at the dose is that it's the only way to tell how different products compare on a price basis.
But, I would suggest avoiding those supplements that have the highest dose per serving because this makes getting a precise amount on a daily basis quite difficult.
Instead, aim for a dose of about 600mg per capsule.
The reason is that scientists have used 500mg of saw palmetto prostate health supplements in successful studies to demonstrate improvements in benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) .
Keep in mind that there is no upper recommended limit, and some supplements above recommend taking 600mg multiple times a day.
Type Of Saw Palmetto
You'll typically find saw palmetto extract and powder in the above supplements. Some combine the two, which might provide a higher level of purity. But scientific research on animals hasn't revealed that they have a different effect as a prostate health supplement .
We have seen in our testing that clients who tried the extract and powder combinations in a prostate health supplement tended to report better results, but I wouldn't claim this to be scientific proof.
Related Article: Best Testosterone Boosters For Men On The Market
What Is the Purest Saw Palmetto?
The purest saw palmetto is its extract or dried supplement form, as it appears to be the most effective when taken in daily dosages of 160 to 320 mg.
Does Saw Palmetto Damage Kidneys?
No, saw palmetto won't damage your kidneys. However, you should always talk to your doctor if you have pre-existing kidney issues before taking any kind of herbal supplement containing this ingredient.
Doing so ensures you won't have to deal with unwanted side effects in the long run. After all, your doctor will know whether your kidneys can take the ingredients contained within these supplements.
Which Saw Palmetto Supplement Should You Buy?
Having delved deep into the world of Saw Palmetto supplements, I've come to appreciate the myriad of benefits they offer, especially for prostate health.
However, I personally noticed a huge difference in my overall well-being after incorporating Saw Palmetto Plus by Essential Elements into my routine.
It was not just about the science-backed benefits for me; it was about the tangible improvements I experienced in my health and that of my clients.
I'd wholeheartedly recommend giving it a try if you're on the fence about which supplement to choose. It's a game-changer.
About The Author
You May Also Like