As a personal fitness instructor, I work with clients and nutritionists all the time to come up with a plan to promote male health. And one of the dietary supplements that I heard a lot of nutritionists recommend for prostate health is saw palmetto.
You'll find this extract from a palm-like shrub in many health food stores, but my nutritionist recommended looking at concentrated supplements instead.
So, our team got together with a few clients to test out dozens of products over a couple of weeks.
Here is the resulting list of best saw palmetto supplements for you to choose from.
Our Top Saw Palmetto Supplements
1 - Havasu Nutrition Saw Palmetto (Editor's Choice)
Top of our best saw palmetto supplements list is this one from Havasu.
The company has specifically designed it to naturally promote prostate health, and I saw a lot of reviews online from men who overcame prostate and urinary tract issues .
I put these at the top of the list because the dosage of 600 mg is in the generally recommended range, and the capsules are easy to swallow .
- Supplement Facts: Form: Capsules, Dosage: 600mg
- Combines saw palmetto berry extract and powder
- Capsules are small enough to swallow easily
- There are great subscription discounts available
- Comes with a money-back guarantee for a risk-free trial
- Some people said they could smell the ingredient from their breath
2 - Dr. Martin's Nutrition Saw Palmetto
Dr. Martin's pure saw palmetto is another one where we saw a lot of positive comments about improved urinary health.
The company claims that the more potent dosage would help with preventing thinning hair. While studies have shown links for this benefit, it's still not an entirely understood effect .
Our testing with clients showed some improvements in healthy prostate function, especially with men over 50.
- Supplement Facts: Form: Capsules, Dosage: 1,000mg
- Stronger dose formula is split over two capsules to adjust the intake
- Claimed benefits include hair loss prevention
- Comes in a large bottle of 180 capsules
- It's not always in stock making resupply a bit difficult
3 - NOW Supplements Saw Palmetto
NOW Supplements has taken a slightly different approach by adding pumpkin seed oil to improve prostate health further .
And with the lower dose per serving, you should find it easier to get an exact amount if you've had a recommendation from a doctor or nutritionist.
I also like that this one comes in soft gels rather than capsules, as many people find the smaller size easier to swallow.
I just wish that the company would make it available in larger bottles for bulk-order savings.
- Supplement Facts: Form: Softgels, Dosage: 320mg
- Contains pumpkin seed oil for additional prostate gland benefits
- A lower dose makes it easier to get a precise amount per day
- Softgel serving is effortless to swallow without getting stuck
- It's not available in bulk order bottles
4 - Zhou Saw Palmetto
This Zhou saw palmetto supplement has a 500 mg dose containing 45% fatty acids per dose from a mix of saw palmetto berry powder and extract.
The company claims this is a more effective combination, but I couldn't find studies that confirmed this.
Our test results with clients were positive for prostate and urinary health, but I would highlight that you might need to take two capsules a day to get the full benefits.
- Supplement Facts: Capsules, Dosage: 500mg
- Capsules seem to be smaller than average, making them easy to swallow
- GMP-certified for purity and quality standards
- The manufacturer offers a no questions money-back guarantee
- Some men might need a stronger dose
“The [saw palmetto] fatty acids in question have the ability to block an enzyme that converts testosterone into dihydrotestosterone (DHT), the latter of which is a more androgenic form and can cause hair loss in the genetically susceptible.” - Kamal Patel, Editor at Examine.com.
5 - Agobi Premium Saw Palmetto
This Agobi supplement aims to support prostate health in a complete way by combining 11 different ingredients, including saw palmetto, Ashgawandha, ginger, black pepper extract, and Tribulus.
This should provide good support for the urinary tract and also help to prevent prostate cancer.
I also heard from a few clients who had measured higher testosterone levels after taking this product for a month.
The only thing I'd say is that some of the other extracts other than saw palmetto berry could be a bit stronger, meaning that you might still need to stack this with other testosterone boosters if your primary goal is to increase T-levels.
- Supplement Facts: Form: Capsules, Dosage: 300mg
- Includes 11 different plant sterols that aim to prevent prostate cancer
- Positive reviews about improved testosterone production and sexual function
- Small enough once a day capsule makes it more convenient
- The dosage of some ingredients is a bit low
6 - Horbaach Saw Palmetto Extract
This Horbaach product aims to improve overall prostate health by delivering a significantly higher dose of saw palmetto powder.
But even if you don't need the full 3,600 mg per day, you can reduce your intake to 1,200 mg since that’s the amount per capsule.
Many users said they liked spreading their intake out over the day, which can be a convenient way to maximize the effect.
- Supplement Facts: Form: Capsules, Dosage: 3,600 mg
- High-potency saw palmetto content for maximum effect on prostate function
- Easy to adjust serving of 3 capsules a day to fine-tune your intake
- Many positive comments that it helps with hair growth and sexual dysfunction
- It's been regularly out of stock, so you might need to order extra bottles when available
7 - Saw Palmetto Plus by Essential Elements
This saw palmetto supplement claims to have been medically proven to help with chronic pelvic pain syndrome and chronic prostatitis.
This may have to do with the added pumpkin and cranberry seed oils .
I heard from a few clients that they slept much better as they didn't have as many disruptions due to frequent urination.
- Supplement Facts: Form: Softgels, Dosage: 320mg
- Contains added pumpkin and cranberry seed oil for improved urinary function
- Claims to have been proven to help with prostate enlargement
- Positive feedback about improved sleep patterns with fewer disruptions
- Not suitable for vegans due to gelatin content in the capsules
8 - Natures Craft Saw Palmetto
Natures Craft has chosen a good dose that should make it easier for you to adjust your intake to achieve better prostate health.
One thing we got positive comments on was that some of our clients said that it had improved hair growth.
That may have to do with the purity, as this saw palmetto supplement is GMP-certified, ensuring a certain quality standard.
- Supplement Facts: Form: Capsules, Dosage: 500mg
- Small capsules are easy to swallow and provide a simple-to-adjust dose
- Positive feedback that it helps with an enlarged prostate and prevents hair loss
- Processed in a GMP-certified way for higher purity and quality
- It's one of the more expensive products considering the dosage
9 - Nature's Way Saw Palmetto
Nature's Way is another great supplement company for minerals and vitamins, and they have focused on creating a pure saw palmetto product to support prostate health.
The dose per capsule is fine, but the company recommends taking it three times a day, which makes it an expensive supplement.
- Supplement Facts: Form: Capsules, Dosage: 585mg
- Small capsules make taking a larger daily dose much easier
- Comes in large bottles of 180 capsules that lasts longer
- Many positive reviews about healthy hair and better energy levels
- Taking it three times a day, as it says on the bottle, makes this quite expensive
10 - Swanson Saw Palmetto Extract
The final one of our best saw palmetto supplements is this Swanson product that you can order in large bottles with good bulk order discounts.
The one thing that stood out is that it uses the whole saw palmetto berry as a source, which should provide a pure extract form.
We also got positive reviews from clients both for hair loss and as a prostate health supplement.
- Supplement Facts: Form: Capsules, Dosage: 540mg
- Sourced from whole saw palmetto berry for higher purity
- Good reviews that it can help with hair loss
- Available in large bulk-order bottles of 250 capsules
- Some people have complained that it's regularly out of stock
You have to keep two important things in mind when choosing between saw palmetto supplements.
The first reason you need to take a careful look at the dose is that it's the only way to tell how different products compare on a price basis.
But, I would suggest avoiding those supplements that have the highest dose per serving because this makes getting a precise amount on a daily basis quite difficult.
Instead, aim for a dose of about 600mg per capsule.
The reason is that scientists have used 500mg of saw palmetto prostate health supplements in successful studies to demonstrate improvements in benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) .
Keep in mind that there is no upper recommended limit, and some supplements above recommend taking 600mg multiple times a day.
Type Of Saw Palmetto
You'll typically find saw palmetto extract and powder in the above supplements. Some combine the two, which might provide a higher level of purity. But scientific research on animals hasn't revealed that they have a different effect as a prostate health supplement .
We have seen in our testing that clients who tried the extract and powder combinations in a prostate health supplement tended to report better results, but I wouldn't claim this to be scientific proof.
Related Article: Best Testosterone Boosters On The Market
What Is the Purest Saw Palmetto?
The purest saw palmetto is its extract or dried supplement form, as it appears to be the most effective when taken in daily dosages of 160 to 320 mg.
Does Saw Palmetto Damage Kidneys?
No, saw palmetto won't damage your kidneys. However, you should always talk to your doctor if you have pre-existing kidney issues before taking any kind of herbal supplement containing this ingredient.
Which Saw Palmetto Supplement Should You Buy?
I found that Havasu Nutrition kept getting the best feedback and results out of all the saw palmetto supplements that I have researched and tested in the past weeks.
I have several clients who are consistently using it and have seen significant health benefits.
You can even sign up for a subscription service with a money-back guarantee. It's a risk-free way to find out how well it works and will save you a lot when taking this long-term.
Order yours today to find out how much of a difference it can make in your prostate health.