When you're working hard towards your fitness and weight loss goals, it's all about tough workouts and cutting out unhealthy foods.
But that doesn't mean you can't enjoy some delicious post-workout recovery protein shakes.
Over the years, I've personally tried and tested numerous chocolate protein powders. Some of them tasted fantastic, but when I checked the label, they were loaded with sugars and empty calories. It's always a challenge to find the right balance.
And then there are those with excellent nutritional values but a fake chocolate taste.
After trying out dozens of brands myself and getting feedback from my fitness buddies, I spent several months compiling and researching to bring you the best-tasting chocolate protein powder options.
The Best Tasting Chocolate Protein Powders
- Best Overall Tasty Chocolate Protein Powder: Transparent Labs Isolate
- Cheapest Tasty Chocolate Protein Powder: Optimum Nutrition Gold
- Best Tasting Chocolate Flavored Protein for Vegans: Ora Organic Vegan
- Best Tasting High-Protein Chocolate Formula: PaleoPro
- Best Tasting Chocolate Protein Isolate: Transparent Labs Isolate
- Best Chocolate Flavor Whey Concentrate: MyProtein Impact
Our Top Tasting Chocolate Protein Powders (December 2023)
1 - Transparent Labs Whey Protein Isolate (Best Overall)
I remember the first time I tried Transparent Labs Whey Protein Isolate; it was a game-changer. Of all the chocolate-flavored protein powders we tested, this one stood out, and we all agreed on its superior taste.
The extreme milk chocolate-flavored whey protein shake contains high-quality ingredients favored by many athletes to help muscle growth and reduce post-workout fatigue.
You can mix it with almond milk for the best flavor and nutritional results. Even without the almond milk, though, I found that the flavor tasted more natural compared to some other protein shakes in the market.
- 24 grams of grass-fed whey protein isolate per serving
- Contains no sugar or artificial sweeteners
- A popular choice for weight loss as it contains no carbs
- Certified gluten and GMO-free for extra peace of mind
- Currently not available in larger tubs
The only downside I can note is that it would be great if this protein powder was available in larger tubs. After all, I found it hard to stop taking this chocolate-flavored protein supplement regularly.
Get 10% off using coupon code: TOTALSHAPE
2 - PaleoPro Protein Powder (Best Protein-Rich)
This is one of the top paleo protein supplements we recommend for anyone on the paleo diet, but other non-vegan athletes may also gain benefits from the collagen it contains.
Studies have shown that collagen may help with joint pain .
I wasn't a big fan of the texture straight from the shaker, but the powder works well in a blender.
- 26 grams of grass-fed beef protein
- Sourced from hormone and antibiotic-free cattle
- Helps avoid common soy, dairy, and gluten reactions
- May provide a natural boost of collagen
- Texture may be a little grainy when mixed with water
3 - Ora Organic Vegan Protein Powder (Best for Vegans)
I'm a big fan of organic protein powder supplements, and this vegan powder is an excellent choice to make.
You're only getting muscle benefits with no fillers or artificial sweeteners.
I found that the taste was great, and I did not experience any stomach issues while testing this supplement. The only negative side is that it's best to blend it for optimum taste and consistency.
- 22 grams of organic pea protein
- No fillers or artificial additives
- Low in sugar, fat, and calories to support dieting efforts
- Use of organic cocoa creates a popular chocolatey flavor
- You may want to plan blending it
4 - Future Kind Vegan Chocolate Protein Powder
Future Kind has it right with their chocolate, organic pea protein powder. We found countless online reviews about this protein powder being great tasting and easy to digest.
The powder mixes well and results in a creamy texture, only sometimes pulled off by plant-based protein powders. Future Kind manufactures its protein powder in an FDA-approved, GMP-certified facility and utilizes third-party testing to ensure quality.
You can order a single bottle or receive a 5% discount for a multi-bottle purchase. To ensure you don’t run out, a “subscribe and save” option nets you a 10% discount.
- Calories: 120
- Protein: 20g
- Carbs: 4g
- Fat: 3g
- Vegan-friendly, organic pea protein
- Third-party tested for quality assurance
- Many positive reviews regarding taste and texture
- A bit pricey for some
5 - MyProtein Impact Whey Protein Concentrate
With only 100 calories per serving, Impact may be an ideal protein powder if you're on a calorie-restricted diet.
Of all the chocolate protein powders we researched, this whey protein concentrate has one of the lowest calories.
Many users, us included, love the smooth tasting texture that we don't normally get from powdered supplements.
- 18 grams of whey protein concentrate per serving
- One of the lowest calories we found
- Low fat and sugar content makes it suitable for most diets
- Many positive reviews about the smooth tasting texture
- Despite only having a gram of sugar, some users find it too sweet
So, if you're staying away from sweets, this might trigger some cravings.
6 - Legion Whey+ Protein Powder
What made this one stand out from all the other protein powders was the processing technique used.
Legion uses a cold filtration process as standard, which claims to have less of a negative effect on the structure of the proteins.
- 22 grams of grass-fed whey per serving
- Claims to use unique cold filtration to reduce protein breakdown
- GMO and hormone-free for added peace of mind
- Available in large bulk order tubs
- Some reviews point out that it may be a bit sweet tasting
On the downside, we did find that it was one of the sweeter tasting natural chocolate flavor powders during our testing.
7 - Yuve Vegan Plant-Based All-in-One Shake
This protein supplement is another good vegan chocolate flavor option that combines rice and pea protein to get the full nutritional benefits of a complete amino acid profile.
Some people say it's an excellent protein powder due to the included superfoods, digestive enzymes, and fiber, which may help with immune and digestive health .
Most users find the complete protein powder effective in suppressing their appetite in the morning without feeling bloated or gassy.
- 15 grams of pea protein
- Added superfoods for bonus vitamins and minerals
- Many comments that it tastes like a chocolate milkshake
- Contains 8 grams of dietary fiber to help with digestion
- It's not the best-tasting flavor
This rice and pea protein powder is slightly fake-tasting of all the chocolate flavored protein powders we tried out.
8 - Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey (Cheapest Option)
Gold Standard is possibly one of the most recognized sports nutrition brands, and this whey isolate protein powder has a nice taste that doesn't require a blender.
It's also a low-carb and calorie option to help support losing body weight.
- 24 grams of whey protein
- Only 120 calories in each scoop with very little carbs and fat
- Many positive reviews that it mixes easily in a shaker
- Very good bulk-order tubs available
- Not suitable for mixing with hot drinks as it may curdle
Just avoid using it with hot water and beverages, as it does tend to curdle a little.
9 - Muscle Pharm Combat Protein Powder
The final one of our tested chocolate protein powders that made this list is Muscle Pharm.
It's the only one with a certificate for not containing any banned substances, which may be important for professional athletes.
- 25 grams of whey, casein, and egg protein
- Combination of 5 quality proteins may help with a graduated release
- Tested and certified for banned ingredients
- Provides a boost in BCAAs that may help with muscle building and recovery
- It's a little high in cholesterol and sugar
While I found that it has a great taste and an excellent blend of 5 different proteins, it is a bit higher in cholesterol than all the other complete protein powders above.
10 - Performance Lab Protein Powder
This Performance Lab option may be the best protein powder choice for dairy intolerant people or vegans.
The maker, OptiNutra, also claims that it's an excellent choice for appetite suppression, which quite a few users confirm.
The only thing I would say is that I agree with some reviews that say it's the easiest complete protein powder to shake up with water since it's brown rice protein.
- 20 grams of brown rice protein
- Organic protein powder with vegan-friendly ingredients
- Low fat and minimal carbs to not mess with your diet
- Claims to reduce appetite for easier fasting
- Some reports that it may need to be blended for a smooth consistency
How We Tested the Products
- Diverse Selection: We started by gathering a wide range of chocolate protein powders to ensure we covered products catering to various needs and preferences.
- Ingredient Breakdown: We meticulously analyzed the ingredient list of each product, ensuring they were packed with beneficial nutrients and free from harmful additives.
- Taste Test: Our team conducted blind taste tests to determine the best-tasting chocolate protein powders objectively.
- User Feedback: We consulted reviews and feedback from actual users to understand their experiences and gauge the overall satisfaction rate.
- Price Point: We considered the cost of each product to ensure our recommendations offered great value for money.
How to Choose the Right Best-Tasting Chocolate Protein Powder
Here are the factors that should influence your protein powder buying decision.
1. Protein Source
Protein powders are available from many different animal and plant sources.
The choice between animal-based and plant-based protein powders primarily comes down to dietary preference. For those going animal-based, whey protein (especially whey protein isolate) is recommended for muscle building and weight loss .
On the other hand, for vegans, vegetarians, or lactose-intolerant individuals, plant-based protein powders, particularly those made with pea protein, are recommended.
2. Nutritional Values
Some of the best protein powders we found were low in carbs and fat. It is an excellent feature because it won't mess with your diet, making it easy to plan your protein intake. Get a brown rice protein supplement to fulfill your daily protein intake.
3. Essential Amino Acids
If you're trying to build some lean muscle, you have to ensure that your chosen protein powder has all nine essential amino acids listed in the contents. One of the best ways to ensure this is by choosing whey protein powder . If you want to make the most out of your protein powder, consider getting whey isolate since it has more amino acids.
If you are an athlete or highly active person attempting to lose body fat while preserving lean muscle mass, a daily intake of 1.5-2.2g/kg body weight (0.68-1g/lb bodyweight) is a good goal.
- Kamal Patel, Nutrition Researcher
You would think that every protein powder has the same kind of consistency. However, pretty much all protein shakes are pretty unique. You'll also notice a very different texture dependent on whether you use water, milk, or juice.
5. Suitability For Combining With Other Foods
Some athletes combine their protein powder with other foods to create a kind of meal replacement. It's an especially important practice since they're always on the go and full meals could be tedious to make.
For breakfast or an in-between snack, chocolate and vanilla-flavored powders may be the best for a delicious combination.
6. Does It Mix Easily?
Every best-tasting protein powders differ in how easy it is to mix them. If it's easy in a shaker, that's a great indicator that you could end up with something that tastes like a chocolate milkshake that could help with your muscle protein synthesis.
Which Flavor Is Best for Protein Powder?
Chocolate protein powder is best for protein powder, with vanilla protein powders being a close second. The main reason for this is that when you find a product with natural flavors, then you won't get that fake and disgusting taste.
Is Flavored Whey Protein Powder Bad?
No, flavored whey protein powder is not bad as long as it doesn't have artificial sweeteners and flavors added. You should always check the nutritional content label, and if it's not all-natural, then you may be looking at something that won't have a great taste.
What Can I Mix With Protein Powder to Make It Taste Better?
You can mix almond milk or fruit juice with protein powder to make it taste better. Another alternative is adding natural cooking flavors like vanilla essence to unflavored pea protein powders. You can also add yogurt to give it an extra bit of depth, nutrients, and probiotics.
For a tasty protein shake, consider using a plant-based protein powder that has the best tasting chocolate protein flavor, rich in essential amino acids, or opt for the pure whey protein isolate.
Do Protein Powders Cause Weight Gain?
No, protein powders do not cause weight gain as long as you follow the recommended serving per day, eat a healthy, well-balanced diet, and maintain an active lifestyle.
Our #1 Chocolate-Flavored Protein Powder
If you're looking for the best tasting chocolate protein powder, try a delicious option that offers a rich chocolate flavor and is packed with branched-chain amino acids to support your muscle mass.
If you aim to build muscle or improve your recovery times, I would recommend Transparent Labs as the best chocolate protein powder on the list. I have struggled to find a better option for quality and nutritional values.
The company does live up to its name by only including valuable ingredients in its protein shakes for muscle growth.
If you've found some other chocolate protein powder products that taste great, let us know on social media, and we can research them.
About The Author
You May Also Like