As a personal fitness coach, I focus most of my attention on supplements that impact muscle strength and fat loss. But I also advise clients to look at their mental focus and cognitive function.
See, the more focused human brain functions are on work and exercise tasks, the easier it can be to remain motivated to achieve certain fitness goals.
Fortunately, you don’t have to take prescription smart drugs to achieve this.
And that’s why our team got together with 13 female clients to research and test out the best nootropics for women over six weeks.
Here’s what we found.
Our Top Products
1 - Onnit Alpha Brain (Editor's Choice)
Don’t let the “Alpha” in Alpha BRAIN deter you; this solid blend of nootropic ingredients from ONNIT works great for women. Women’s brains respond differently to stress, have more mood fluctuations, and have a more significant hormonal impact on focus and memory .
If you are a green tea drinker, you know the relaxation it can bring, largely due to the amino acid L-theanine, which promotes wakeful relaxation and mental clarity and gives a mood boost .
ONNIT Alpha Brain contains a healthy dose of vitamin B6, which your body needs to produce serotonin, a hormone that boosts mood. Research shows a direct link between depression and low vitamin B6 levels .
Overall, ONNIT Alpha Brain is an excellent choice for women looking to enhance their cognitive focus and elevate their mood .
Our only disappointment is the lack of label transparency with proprietary blends.
- Cat Claw : 350 mg
- L-Theanine : n/a
- L-Tyrosine : n/a
- Toothed Clubmoss : 400 mcg
- A gluten-free, caffeine-free formula of natural ingredients
- Proven effectiveness as a cognitive enhancer
- Bulk order discount
- “Blends” on the label lack ingredient transparency.
2 - Mind Lab Pro® Universal Nootropic™
Top of our list of best nootropics for women is this Mind Lab Pro product that we got some great results with mental energy and focus.
It has been well researched that the combination of Bacopa Monnieri and Lion's Mane Mushroom works very well as a nerve growth factor .
This combination has been shown to boost memory and overall cognitive health significantly.
Our female clients also said the B vitamins in Mind Lab Pro seem to help both with physical and mental energy levels, especially during their periods.
- Organic Lion's Mane Mushroom : 500 mg
- Bacopa Monnieri : 150 mg
- Citicoline : 250 mg
- Rhodiola Rosea : 50 mg
- Great combination of herbs and amino acids that work as a cognitive enhancer
- Added B vitamins to support red blood cell production and boosted energy levels
- Great feedback from users that it can help with relieving anxiety
- The capsules are not the smallest ones to swallow
3 - Noocube’s Brain Productivity
Next on our list of best nootropics for women is this Noocube supplement designed to enhance brain function for focused mental clarity. Every one of our testing team found that it provided significant results within a week of taking it.
Based on my research, it seems like the dosage of L-theanine and L-tyrosine has the most significant impact on mental alertness and brain health .
We also found that the ingredients are easy on the stomach when you take it in the morning, and the effects seem to last all day.
“L-tyrosine is an amino acid that is a precursor (which means it’s necessary for production) to dopamine and norepinephrine, two neurotransmitters that are important for focus and concentration.”
- Arlin Cuncic, MA, VeryWellMind.com.
- Pterostilbene : 140 mcg
- L-Theanine : 100 mg
- L-Tyrosine : 250 mg
- Alpha GPC : 50 mg
- Formulated with natural ingredients that have reputable scientific backing
- Ideal brain supplement to help women keep mental clarity at work and in family life
- Positive feedback on reduced stress and anxiety
- Available in bulk-order supplies for great discounts
- This cognitive enhancer comes only in capsules
4 - Hunter Focus
Hunter Focus is an excellent option if you want to feel a boost in both mental and physical energy. The vitamin and protein combination brings it close to a smart drug when it comes to brain functions.
We all felt a great boost in concentration and problem-solving ability within about half an hour of taking this supplement.
Keep in mind that it does have some caffeine, so you might not want to take this with your morning coffee.
- L-Tyrosine : 500 mg
- L-Carnitine : 800 mg
- Ashwagandha Root : 300 mg
- Caffeine : 100 mg
- Good combination of vitamins and amino acids for improved brain functions
- Added herbs can help with antioxidant properties
- Test results show it comes close to smart drug effects
- Keep in mind that you’ll have to swallow six capsules every day to get the full dose
5 - NEUROHACKER COLLECTIVE - Qualia Mind
Our fourth nootropic supplement recommendation for women is this Qualia Mind product.
It delivers a great protein combination of L-tyrosine, L-carnitine, L-theanine, and taurine, and studies have shown that these ingredients, among others, can function well as cognitive enhancers .
Our test results showed a positive impact on motivation, focus, and memory recall.
The only downside to mention is that you need to take seven capsules a day to get the full dosage.
- Acetyl-L-Carnitine : 500 mg
- L-Theanine : 200 mg
- N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine : 250 mg
- Taurine : 200 mg
- Positive impact on cognitive effects and mental processing of complex tasks
- Works well to lift brain fog first thing in the morning and can replace a cup of coffee
- Positive feedback from users that it can boost the cognitive ability for the entire day
- Each serving is made up of seven capsules a day
6 - Nootropics Depot Uridine Monophosphate
Optimum Nutrition is another supplement company that we have a lot of experience with, and the company has aimed to create a very simple nootropic based on Uridine.
Studies have shown that this simple ingredient can help with improving cognitive performance and enhance memory function at work .
What I would say is that the formula is a bit limited considering the price, but it could still be a good option for a nootropics stack for maximum impact on the nervous system.
- Uridine Monophosphate : 250 mg
- The simple formula delivers one proven ingredient for improving cognitive function
- Also seems to work well for improved sleep quality
- You only need to take one small capsule a day for a more convenient supplement
- It’s quite expensive considering the limited ingredients
7 - Host Defense Capsules
This Host Defense product is narrowly intended to boost brain function, as it provides just lion’s mane extract, which has been linked to supporting healthy brains and improving memory and focus .
The product has also made sure that they have a certified organic label, which should prove that it’s of higher purity.
One thing I would say is that it’s a bit expensive, considering that you’d probably need to stack this with another product to maximize memory and focus.
- Lion’s Mane : 1 gram
- Simple formula with proven benefits for a healthy brain
- Available in large bottles for bulk ordering
- Organically sourced ingredients for higher purity
- It’s a bit expensive considering it only has one ingredient
8 - New Chapter Rhodiola Force
This New Chapter product got some good feedback from our test team, who found that it helped with memory and recall.
A few women on the team are students, and they found that their study time was more effective.
And that seems to be down to scientific proof that Rhodiola improves memory and focus .
The only thing I would highlight is that you might need to consider taking two capsules a day to get the amount of Rhodiola that was used in different clinical trials.
- Rhodiola : 300 MG
- Positive feedback from users about improving memory formation
- It comes in small capsules that are easy to swallow
- Doesn't seem to have any reports of side effects like bloating
- The dosage could be increased, and you might need to take more than one capsule
9 - Himalaya Organic Bacopa/Brahmi
Himalaya is another great supplement company that we’ve recommended for other products, and this one delivers a good dose of Bacopa powder for boosting cognitive functions.
Studies have shown a significant improvement in brain waves and cognition .
Not only is this an organic product, but the company has also used a processing technique that uses the whole plant rather than cheaper and less effective techniques.
Our test team had some good results with it, and it’s cheap enough to stack with other nootropics for improved mental and emotional well-being.
- Organic Bacopa : 750 mg
- Seems to work well in reducing mental fatigue from work and study
- Certified organic ingredients to ensure higher purity
- Made from whole-plant powder for better quality
- Not available in bulk-order bottles for better discounts
10 - Jarrow Formulas Theanine
The final one of our best nootropics for women is this simple Jarrow Formulas supplement based on L-theanine. This amino acid has been shown to help with enhancing focus and a reduction in the stress hormone cortisol .
Our testing also showed that the reduction of stress should also improve cognitive performance for daily work and life tasks.
But you might need to plan on taking two capsules a day as the dosage is lower than what has been used in trials.
“The main benefits of L-theanine are associated with promoting a relaxed state without causing drowsiness. L-theanine may also have mild cognitive-enhancing effects, especially when taken with caffeine.”
- Bill Willis, Ph.D. in Biomedical Science, Examine.com.
- L-Theanine : 100 mg
- Based on proven benefits from L-theanine on brain productivity
- The small capsules are easy to swallow
- Doesn’t contain any synthetic additives or fillers
- The dosage per capsule should be stronger for a memory enhancer
When you’re looking for alternatives to prescription smart drugs, it’s important to focus on a few key areas to find the best nootropics.
The good news is that we’ve already done all the hard work in the research for the above product recommendations.
Type Of Natural Ingredients
There are quite a few ingredients that have a proven impact on brain cells and cognitive performance.
Based on our research and testing results, we have found that the following ingredients seem to have the best overall effect:
- Lion's Mane Mushroom
- Bacopa Monnieri
- Rhodiola Rosea
If you can get one or two supplements to cover these, then you should see a good improvement in your mental well-being.
When you’re looking for the best nootropics for women, you have to consider the ideal dosage. See, some companies advertise that they use proven ingredients but then have a very low dosage that might not boost cognitive functions enough.
That’s why we compared the dosages of all the above products to what clinical trials used. And we’ve highlighted those areas where the dosage is a bit low so that you know to possibly take multiple capsules.
Fortunately, there are some great options to help women with the mental impact of their period, as well as provide a mood balance during menopause.
The best nootropics for women should also help with preventing uncontrollable stress, which can also lead to hormonal imbalances that further impact your mood .
This is where you need to be very careful. You can sometimes be tempted by cheap products only to find that the dosage is extremely low per serving. The best cognitive enhancer should deliver proven ingredients at the ideal dose.
And that will often justify the higher prices that you see with products that have the best user reviews.
Who Should Take Nootropics?
All women that heavily rely on their cognitive functions on a daily basis should consider taking nootropics.
These supplements can have a direct impact on neurological pathways that make it a lot easier to remain focused on tasks to get you through a busy day at school, work, or with your family.
Who Shouldn't Take Nootropics?
Women who are taking medication for underlying health issues like obstructive sleep apnea or mental health problems shouldn’t take nootropics.
You’ll need to talk to your doctor first if that’s the case, as even natural nootropic ingredients could have interactions with medication.
Can Nootropics Be Harmful To Women?
No, most nootropics aren’t harmful to women. They tend to promote natural improvements in cognitive functions and can help to lift brain fog. But if you’re on any mental health medication, then you need to talk to your doctor first.
What Nootropic Gives You The Most Energy?
Caffeine and L-theanine can potentially give you the most energy. They have been shown to work together and deliver an improvement in mental and physical performance levels .
Which Nootropic Should Women Take?
Many “smart drugs” are available to counteract brain fog and enhance mood, but for me, an all-natural nootropic is a way to go.
Our testing team consisted of female clients of various ages who found ONNIT Alpha BRAIN effectively clears the brain fog, which can occur at each unique life stage caused by stress or hormonal changes.
Add to that the proven effectiveness of the formula in clinical trials, and we can’t help but give Alpha BRAIN our #1 spot in “Best Nootropics for Women.”
Was this article helpful?
About The Author
You May Also Like