To have the energy and motivation for your fitness training regime, you should pay close attention to your brain health.
As a personal fitness coach, I often see people who struggle with focus and motivation way before they are physically exhausted.
And that’s where natural nootropics come into play.
To help our readers with these types of hurdles, our team spent two months with 25 clients researching and testing the best nootropics for energy.
I also had help from a doctor and a dietitian to identify products with ingredients best suited to boost brain performance.
Our Top Nootropics For Energy And Cognitive Functions (February 2023)
1 - Mind Lab Pro
Top of our list of best nootropics for energy is this Mind Lab Pro supplement. My dietitian carefully looked at the ingredients and highlighted that they all have scientific backing as cognitive enhancers.
Researchers have shown that the included Phosphatidylserine can help prevent cognitive decline and boost memory function .
And our testing team highlighted that they consistently had more energy for cognitive or physical tasks depending on the time of day.
- Rhodiola Rosea : 50 mg
- Phosphatidylserine : 250 mg
- Lion’s Mane Mushroom : 500 mg
- Vitamin B6 : 2.5 mg
- Solid formula of proven ingredients that improve brain health and energy
- Works well for better focus on work, study, and exercise
- No reported side effects from an all-natural formula
- You can spread out the capsules to gain a consistent benefit all-day
- You’ll have to buy directly from the official website as it’s not available in stores
2 - Onnit Alpha Brain
Onnit Alpha Brain supplements are a very close second on our list, and our testing data suggests that it will enhance cognitive functions, including brain energy levels, focus, and concentration.
One ingredient that sets it apart from other natural nootropics is Alpha GPC, and studies have shown that it has a direct impact on focus .
The one reason we had for putting this into second place is that you might find it difficult to stack it with other nootropics as it has a partially proprietary formula.
- L-Theanine : n/a
- Alpha GPC : n/a
- Vitamin B6 : 10 mg
- Cat’s Claw Extract : 350 mg
- Helps to boost concentration and focus for significantly improved peak mental and physical performance
- Positive results for stress, anxiety, and mental endurance
- The conveniently sized capsules allow you take them any time of day
- The proprietary formula makes it difficult to add to a nootropic stack
3 - Gorilla Mind Smooth
The first thing we noticed with this Gorilla Mind supplement is that our testers all highlighted that it has a significant effect on reducing mental fatigue, and it helps to lift brain fog as well.
They also reported improvements in mood and concentration, and my dietitian highlighted that this is likely due to the good dose of Ginkgo Biloba, which has been scientifically linked to improved brain function and is often used for mood disorders .
“Ginkgo contains numerous flavonoids, compounds that proponents suggest can protect against aging-related issues such as dementia by improving blood flow to the brain.”
- Caitlin Kelly, MD at Verywellmind.com
- L-Tyrosine : 750 mg
- Ginkgo Biloba : 180 mg
- Alpha GPC : 600 mg
- Kanna : 250 mg
- Along with higher energy levels, it can provide improved mood
- Helps to boost brain health and mental processing in the long-term
- Doesn’t rely on stimulants for improved focus that can last all-day
- Keep in mind that you’ll need to swallow six capsules a day for the full dosage
4 - Hunter Focus
Our testing group also achieved great results with Hunter Focus, and they all commented that it helped to improve cognitive function in a way you might expect from prescription smart drugs.
That included a good boost of brain energy without feeling jittery.
The all-natural nootropics ingredients have plenty of evidence, and my doctor pointed out that the included Rhodiola Rosea can help with improving brain chemicals in the central nervous system .
There’s also evidence that it can help to reduce stress and anxiety.
- L-Carnitine : 800 mg
- Vitamin B6 : 2.5 mg
- Ginkgo Biloba : 120 mg
- Rhodiola Rosea : 50 mg
- Great choice of proven ingredients with no reports of side effects
- Aims to improve communication between brain cells
- You can spread out the dosage over the day for a longer-lasting effect
- You’ll need to take six capsules a day to fully improve your mental performance
5 - Gorilla Shroom
This mushroom-based nootropic also ranked highly for improved brain function.
And the great thing is that it seems to work very well to boost mental energy levels without using any stimulants that might make you jittery.
My dietitian highlighted that Lion’s Mane Mushroom has been linked to cognitive function and that it can significantly help with problem-solving for work and study .
- Vitamin B6 : 10 mg
- Yerba Mate Extract : 200 mg
- Lion’s Mane Mushroom : 1,500 mg
- Ashwagandha : 500 mg
- Uses proven mushrooms and a few herbs to boost mental energy levels
- Positive feedback that it can help with brain fog without using stimulants
- Can also help with complex problem-solving skills
- You can only get it online as it’s currently not available in stores
6 - NooCube
NooCube is another nootropic that we got some great feedback on from our testers, as they found the improvements in cognitive function were mainly around fatigue and improved memory.
It can also have similar effects to medical smart drugs.
The added Bacopa Monnieri has been proven to have a link to mental performance as well as mental alertness .
The main reason for bumping it down the list is that not all the herbal ingredients have enough reliable evidence to support them.
- L-Tyrosine : 250 mg
- Bacopa Monnieri : 250 mg
- Cat’s Claw Extract : 175 mg
- Oat Straw : 150 mg
- Great impacts for improved short and long-term memory
- Positive feedback about reduced fatigue and stress levels
- Small capsules make it easier to swallow them without getting stuck
- Some ingredients don’t have enough scientific support for improved brain chemicals
7 - Qualia Mind
Qualia Mind was a popular choice with our student testers, who reported that it boosts cognitive function and memory to help them retain more information during study times.
We also heard from multiple people that it has a positive impact on mood and concentration levels.
From a formula perspective, it was the high dose of Rhodiola Rosea that caught my dietitian’s attention, as it has been linked to energy production and improved brain focus .
- Pantothenic Acid : 50 mg
- Alpha GPC : 200 mg
- Rhodiola Rosea : 300 mg
- Acetyl-L-Carnitine HCI : 500 mg
- It can have a good impact on memory processes, making studying easier
- Also improves mood and motivation to help in all parts of daily life
- Gets rid of brain fog without jitters and overstimulation
- We could only order it once as it has been out of stock for weeks
8 - Cistanche Tubulosa
This nootropic was recommended by a nutritionist, and the main attraction is that it can improve physical and mental energy.
And because it’s based on just one ingredient, it’s very easy to stack it with other dietary supplements.
My dietitian highlighted that combining the main ingredient, Cistanche, with Ginkgo can have a significant impact on mental performance and reduce fatigue .
I just need to point out that we did see reports from some users that they had negative effects like an upset stomach.
- Cistanche Tubulosa : 200 mg
- Based on one ingredient that makes it ideal for stacking with other nootropics
- Claims to target both mental and physical performance levels
- Good feedback for improved mood and energy metabolism
- Some reports of upset stomachs from users
9 - Elevate
Avantera Elevate is a relatively new nootropic, and it aims to improve brain function with a few carefully selected herbs.
And our team has provided test results that show it does work as a cognitive enhancer.
The formula contains some L-Theanine, which is a naturally occurring amino acid that has been proven to boost cognitive function and mental clarity .
Just keep in mind that it has some caffeine, and that makes it less suitable for taking later in the day.
- Turmeric Extract : n/a
- Lion’s Mane Extract : n/a
- Bacopa Extract : 300 mg
- L-Theanine : n/a
- Claims to significantly reduce stress levels and anxiety
- Good test results for memory function, improved focus, and energy
- Can also improve gut health along with the cognitive benefits
- Contains some caffeine, making it less suitable for taking later in the day
10 - Jocko Discipline GO
The final nootropic supplement for an improved cognitive function that we would recommend is this Jocko Discipline Go one.
One thing that stood out is that our test group highlighted that it seemed to start working within 20 minutes.
The one ingredient that sets it apart from most of the other dietary supplements above is Acetyl L-Carnitine, which has been shown to have an impact on neurotransmitters with a potential for improving mild cognitive impairment .
- Vitamin B6 : 420 mcg
- Acetyl L-Carnitine : 500 mg
- Ashwagandha Extract : 250 mg
- Caffeine Anhydrous : 120 mg
- Contains some carefully chosen ingredients for mental energy production
- Seems to work within about 20 minutes, making it a good replacement for morning coffee
- It’s easy to adjust the dosage to your personal needs
- Some people have commented that the capsules are a bit large to swallow
Here are a few things for you to consider before you make a final decision on how you want to combat mental fatigue with a nootropic stack.
Who Should Take Nootropics For Energy?
Anybody who wants to boost their mental energy, working memory, and overall mental performance should consider taking nootropic supplements.
Unlike taking a prescription smart drug, these energy supplements include natural ingredients that are generally classed as safe to take.
This includes herbs, mushrooms, vitamins, and amino acids with a proven impact on how the brain functions.
Who Shouldn't Take Nootropics For Energy?
Anyone taking prescription medication for mental health, cardiac issues, or to control blood pressure shouldn’t take nootropic supplements without first consulting a doctor.
Some of these prescription drugs can interact with other ingredients that either reduce the nootropic benefits or could cause significant side effects.
The best thing to do, in this case, is to show your doctor what supplement you’re planning to take.
Based on our research of nootropic supplement products and a discussion with a dietitian and doctor, we came up with a list of key ingredients to look out for.
Most of these you’ll also find in our top recommendation, Mind Lab Pro.
Here’s what to look out for:
- Lion’s Mane Mushroom
- Rhodiola Rosea
- Alpha GPC
- Ginkgo Biloba
- Vitamin B6
These can have a significant impact on peak cognitive performance, long and short-term memory and also reduce fatigue levels after intense mental exertion.
“L-theanine is a naturally occurring, non-protein amino acid found in tea that promotes relaxation by reducing stress and anxiety levels.”
- Bill Willis, PhD at Examine.com
And with increasing blood flow to the brain, you should also see general long-term benefits that support a healthy brain.
You might think that for maximum mental clarity, you need to find the nootropic with the largest possible dosage.
But I would recommend that you take a different approach.
The thing with nootropics is that it’s often the combination of a few ingredients that results in the best possible results.
So, you could be better off with a product that has eight great ingredients at a lower dose than a product with four ingredients at a higher dose.
And Mind Lab Pro is one such nootropic that has chosen great ingredients over a focus purely on dosage.
How Can You Increase Your Focus Energy?
You can increase your focus energy with a natural nootropic for improving cognitive functioning. These supplements are based on natural herbs, vitamins, and amino acids that are linked to stimulating brain activity. Mind Lab Pro is one such product that can improve cognitive energy.
What Boosts Dopamine The Most For Brain Energy?
Phosphatidylserine is possibly one of the best ingredients to boost dopamine for brain energy. It has a positive effect on regulating this neurotransmitter, and the result can be significantly improved mood and focus. Mind Lab Pro is one nootropic with a great dose of Phosphatidylserine.
Boost Your Cognitive Function With A Natural Nootropic
After our extensive research and testing for two months, our data shows that Mind Lab Pro is one of the best nootropics for energy.
All of our clients love the effect it has on cognitive performance, mood, and overall mental stamina.
And it won’t overstimulate you with caffeine that might make you jittery.
If you want to achieve more from your work day, family life, and your workouts, then order your first supply today and find out how much of a difference it will make.
About The Author
You May Also Like
Ingredients & Side Effects