Getting enough protein per serving isn't something only bodybuilders and CrossFit fanatics need to be concerned about.
I've been a fitness trainer for several years, and one thing I've learned is that everyone needs to consume adequate levels of protein, especially if on a keto diet.
This nutrient is essential in helping you achieve your optimal weight, recover quickly after strenuous exercise, curb appetite, and build lean, resilient muscles.
Below, we've listed some of the best keto protein powder options that could help amplify this diet's benefits.
Our Top Keto Protein Powders (November 2022)
1 - Transparent Labs 100% Grass-Fed Whey Protein Isolate (Editor's Choice)
This is what I recommend if you're looking for a clean protein powder low in carbs.
It's one of the cleanest protein powder supplements on the market as it's got no artificial sweeteners, food dyes, gluten, and preservatives. It means zero sugar, making it safe to consume even for people with diabetes.
With 28 grams of protein, 1 gram of net carbs, and 120 calories per serving of 32 grams, this protein shake contains one of the highest protein-by-weight ratios in the market. When you drink protein shakes from this brand, you can expect faster results with a proper diet and exercise.
- 1g carb content - perfect for the keto diet
- Sourced from grass fed hormone-free American Cows
- Tastes delicious with water or milk
- No artificial sweeteners, food dyes, gluten, and preservatives,
- Not available as an unflavored option
Get 10% off using coupon code: TOTALSHAPE
2 - BPI Sports ISO-HD
BPI ISO-HD carries branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs) to where they’re needed most, speeding up your recovery period and providing the energy you need for your next workout.
This keto protein powder is also low in calories and carbs and bristling with actionable protein per serving.
- Contains 25 grams whey protein isolate per serving
- Helps rebuild muscles if taken immediately after a workout
- Likely one of the best keto protein powder products
- Contains high fructose corn syrup
3 - Perfect Keto
Perfect Keto is devoid of artificial ingredients, uses natural sweeteners, and contains MCT oil powder (medium-chain triglycerides). Medium-chain triglycerides are well-known for their ability to raise blood ketone levels. It's also one of the few collagen protein powders on this list, making it perfect for maintaining skin health.
This keto protein powder also contains prebiotics that helps maintain healthy intestinal flora that helps promote proper digestion and rapid absorption.
This blood glucose neutral product has BCAAs that your body needs to help with proper muscle regeneration.
- Won’t raise blood sugar levels
- No artificial sweeteners or fillers
- Contains BCAAs for rapid muscle recovery
- Flavored protein powder has lots of options
- Most folks would like to see a larger container for this collagen protein powder
4 - Optimum Nutrition Platinum Hydrowhey
Platinum Hydrowhey from Optimum Nutrition (ON) is sourced from hydrolyzed whey protein isolates which minimize digestive system resistance and smooth the way for optimal absorption of the important nutrients within.
- Hydrolyzed whey protein
- Easy to digest and absorb
- Contains only 1.2 grams of net carbs per serving
- Costs a bit more than other keto protein powders
5 - Isopure Protein Powder
If you’re looking for a keto-friendly protein powder that will also look after your other nutritional needs, then Isopure Zero Carb is possibly that product.
With Isopure Protein Powder, you not only get the BCAAs you need, but also vitamins A, C, B6 and B12 along with calcium, iron and niacin per serving.
The result is one of the most well-rounded keto friendly supplements on the market today.
- Contains an array of beneficial vitamins and minerals
- Has zero net carbs so it’s perfect for your keto diet
- Lactose, GMO, and gluten-free
- Contains some artificial flavors
6 - Julian Bakery Paleo Thin Egg White Protein
This keto-friendly protein powder is derived from hormone- and antibiotic-free eggs,.
They make sure the eggs they use to create their protein shake supplement are not from chickens subjected to the kind of hormone and antibiotic bombardment that most poultry do today.
Also, there are no artificial ingredients in this supplement.
- Contains 5 grams of net carbs per serving
- Sourced from hormone and antibiotic-free chickens
- Completely free of GMOs, soy and lactose
- Just make sure you mix it thoroughly
The Different Types of Keto Protein Powder Options
- Whey - Whey protein powders digests quickly and is absorbed effectively, rushing much-needed nutrients to hurting muscles.
- Egg - Egg protein powder is a very lean type of protein that contains virtually no healthy fats and no carbs and is great for those combining keto and weightlifting.
- Collagen - Keto collagen protein powder is an excellent source for supplemental protein for keto dieters. It’s low in carbs and fat and is essential for promoting healthy skin, bones, hair, nails, and muscles. Consider collagen protein powder if you want to keep your youthful appearance.
- Vegan/plant-based protein powder - There are quite a few plant-based protein powder options out there, such as pea protein. Pea protein vegan supplements are typically very pure with high rates of bioavailability.
Many people following low-carb or ketogenic diets turn to protein powders to supplement their diet. However, choosing the right one to fit your low-carb or keto lifestyle can be challenging due to the countless forms and sources of protein powder.
How Much Protein Do You Need on Keto?
You need about 10% to 20% of protein from your total daily calories (about 75 g for a 2000-calorie diet) while on a ketogenic diet. It applies even when taking in a plant-based protein powder.
Everyone’s protein requirements, even those who are not on the keto regimen, will differ depending on their age, weight, metabolism, goals, and whether or not there are any mitigating conditions. 
To know your Recommended Dietary Allowance RDA for protein, multiply your body weight (in kilos) by 0.8 grams .
However, keep in mind that athletes are going to want to increase this amount by 50 to 100 percent .
What is the best keto protein powder to build muscle?
The best keto protein powder to build muscle is whey protein powder. It is easily digested and contains one of the most complete ranges of amino acids that your muscles need to create new tissues.
Are keto protein powder products bad for your kidneys?
These protein powders are not bad for your kidneys. However, if you have kidney disease, it might be best to consult with your doctor before using them.
Is it okay to take keto-friendly protein powder every day?
It is okay to take keto-friendly protein powder every day as long as you stick to the recommended dose on the label.
Should I take keto-friendly protein powders on rest days?
You shouldn’t take keto-friendly protein powder products on rest days. Doing so won’t give you any added muscle recovery benefits.
Are there any side effects with taking keto diet protein powders?
There may be side effects to taking protein powders for keto diets. However, these are mainly caused by taking excessive amounts of the supplement and food intolerances or allergies.
And Our #1 Keto Protein Powder Is...
Some of the best keto protein supplements will help ramp up your workouts, and the supplements profiled in this review all have what it takes to help. However, Transparent Labs Whey Protein had the most favorable results.
It contains 28 grams of protein per serving and has only 1 gram of carbs, allowing you to stay faithful to your daily carb limits.
Moreover, it has zero artificial sweeteners, food dyes, gluten, and preservatives, making it one of the cleanest protein powders on the market. The fact that it tastes good is another welcome bonus.
So, if you're into the low-carb lifestyle but would like to build strong and lean muscles, then Transparent Labs Whey Protein is definitely a product you should consider.
About The Author
You May Also Like