The best caffeine pills can help people improve their performance by stimulating the brain and increasing its efficiency without making them jittery and restless.
Caffeine has been a staple in my life for many years, as it has been for the athletes with whom I have worked. However, with so many options available today, I conducted thorough study and testing on caffeine pills to identify which ones provide a more sustained boost to our focus and mental alertness.
In this review, I will discuss the findings of my analysis, including the benefits and possible adverse effects of caffeine pills, and I will conclude by revealing which of the seven supplements had the best results.
Our Top Caffeine Pills (2022 Updated)
1 - Performance Lab® Stim (Editor's Choice)
Imagine a caffeine pill without the downsides…
That’s what Performance Lab® did when they came up with Stim.
The result is a perfectly balanced, performance-enhanced, all-natural caffeine pill formula, delivering a cleaner, calmer energy with no jitters, jolts or crashes.
Each capsule packs a 50 g caffeine kick. But the genius of Performance Lab® Stim is in the supporting stack of L-Theanine (100 mg), L-Tyrosine (250 mg) and B-Vitamins (B2, B6, B9 and B12).
- Calm, controlled caffeine kick
- No jitters or crashes
- All-natural caffeine pill
- 100% clean and vegan friendly
- Counterbalanced with nutrients to protect against burnout
- Only available on their website
This trio works to not only sharpen focus, memory, and multitasking, but to restore brain chemicals and nutrients depleted by caffeine. Thus, protecting you against burnout.
It’s a mental energy booster that thinks of everything. The next generation caffeine.
And as you’d expect from Performance Lab®, it’s 100% clean, natural and vegan friendly.
2 - Genius Caffeine Extended Release
Genius Caffeine Extended Release is marketed as the only time release caffeine pill on the market.
While that’s not exactly accurate, it is true that Genius will help you sustain a higher level of energy throughout the day. It can also be an effective aid in a comprehensive weight loss program.
The microencapsulated design of Genius Caffeine pill is effective in spreading out the caffeine kick which helps prevent jitters and rushes.
- Provides effective, time released energy
- Can be stacked with other products to enhance weight loss
- Enables you to finish important tasks on time
- All-natural caffeine supplement
- Don’t expect an immediate jolt
3 - Zhou Nutrition
Zhou Energy + Focus takes a holistic view of energy enhancers. Their caffeine capsules provide 100mg of caffeine combined with 200mg of theanine along with vitamin B-complex, Asian ginseng, and ashwagandha.
The result is a less severe type of energy boost and one the enables you to come down easy rather than crashing.
The formula is well thought out, draws from all-natural sources and is mindful of your mental and emotional, as well as your physical needs.
- All-natural caffeine for energy, ashwagandha for mood
- Ingredients are naturally sourced
- No artificial flavors or colors
- Good for body and mind
- Relatively pricey
On top of that, these extended release caffeine pills can be effectively stacked with other products to bolster weight loss efforts.
If you’re looking for caffeine pills that will give you a little more boost, then you should consider giving this product a chance.
4 - Jet Alert
With Jet Alert, you get 100mg of caffeine in every tablet. These are no-nonsense caffeine tablets that will get you up and at it.
Caffeine pills are longer lasting than coffee so you’ll get the energy boost and increased focus you need to get and stay on task and get the job done.
Whether you’re cramming for finals or have a long day of presentations and meet-and-greets ahead of you, you’re going to need the energy and vitality to see them all through.
- Works fast & effective when you need to be alert
- Uncomplicated supplement
- 100 mg caffeine per capsule
- Wears off fairly quick
Jet Alert makes no bones about the fact that it’s here to light a fire under you. It’s heavy on caffeine and light on extras, which is good news for those who just need a jolt to get them back on track.
5 - Time Release Caffeine
If there’s a downside to most caffeine pills, it's that the energy boost they provide is short-lived. However, it's not the case with Time Release Caffeine Pills.
They are designed to be absorbed slowly so that the caffeine is released over most of the day.
This way, you avoid the unpleasant sudden jolt and have a more natural-feeling elevation in your energy levels that ramps up and dissipates slowly at the end of the day.
- Pure caffeine released over an 8-hour period
- Helps boost your metabolism
- An effective aid in your weight loss efforts
- Enhances cognitive performance and mental alertness to focus better
- No artificial flavors or fillers
- Don’t take it too late in the day
Time Release Caffeine capsules provide a total of 100mg of caffeine with no gluten, no soy, no nuts, banned substances or anything else you don’t want.
6 - Prolab Caffeine Tablets
Each Prolab Caffeine tablet provides 200mg of caffeine that will help provide an extra energy boost to get you through the day.
Unlike energy drinks that rely on sugar to provide an energy boost, Prolab uses only calorie-free, sugar-free, caffeine.
There's also no indication of blood sugar level spike and no crash afterward. In as little as 15 minutes, you'll start to feel your energy levels rise and your focus sharpen.
- Enhances energy and focus without jitters
- Provides quick energy, feel energized in <15 minutes
- Contains no calorie, perfect for fat loss, unlike energy drinks
- 200mg of pure caffeine in each serving
- Too many will upset your stomach
If you are looking for the perfect way to enhance your workouts, then you should consider this caffeine pill in your list.
7 - Nutricost Caffeine Pills
The last entry on our list of best caffeine pills is from Nutricost.
Their 100mg caffeine pills are a straightforward infusion of pure caffeine aimed in helping you focus and keep up with your daily activities.
There is no hidden sugar to overwhelm your system and no calories. In fact, this product works with only just caffeine.
If you're looking for an reliable, affordable, fast-acting alternative to coffee, then you should consider Nutricost Caffeine Pills.
- No fillers or useless additives
- No sugar or calories
- 100mg of caffeine per capsule
- Made in the USA
- Pure caffeine may upset sensitive stomachs
They’re produced in the USA to the highest standards and will help provide you the boost you need when you need it.
What to Look For in a Caffeine Pill?
When looking for a caffeine pill, you must pay attention to its ingredients, value, and caffeine content. Let's get into the details below.
- Caffeine content - The average healthy adult will want anywhere from 100 to 200 mg of caffeine in their caffeine pill. Too much caffeine may lead to jitters and trouble getting to sleep. Any less is not likely to produce the type of jolt you’re after. (1)
- Value/price - With a cup of coffee at Starbucks costing upwards of $5, caffeine pills are a far better value proposition. Of course, with caffeine pills, you don't get to enjoy the bland corporate furniture and soulless atmosphere of SBs, but you do get the pick-me-up you need. And over the course of a week, you'll save enough for a nice dinner.
- Other ingredients - You buy caffeine tablets for caffeine, not vitamin C. Some manufacturers pad their caffeine pills with fillers to make them appeal to a broader audience. Whether you appreciate a lot of extras in your caffeine pills is up to you.
Caffeine Pills vs Coffee
- With a cup of coffee or espresso, it can be darn near impossible to determine just what kind of caffeine jolt you're getting until your pupils are pegged, and you're ready to climb a rock wall using only your fingernails. With caffeine pills, you know exactly how much caffeine you're getting.
- Many people do not like the taste of coffee no matter how you dress it up and so they don’t get to enjoy caffeine’s many health benefits. Caffeine supplements alleviate this problem and allow those not enamored of coffee to still enjoy a caffeine boost.
- Often times getting a cup of coffee when you hit the afternoon energy wall can be nearly impossible. With caffeine pills, however, you simply take one and get back to work without skipping a beat.
- Even if you can drum up a cup of coffee in the afternoon, chances are it will only provide a fraction of the energy boost you’ll get from caffeine pills. And it will take longer to kick in.
- Regular coffee drinkers also tend to suffer from yellow teeth. There is no such embarrassing development with caffeine pills. (2)
Check out our article on the differences between caffeine pills and coffee.
What are the Benefits of Caffeine Tablets?
The benefits of taking caffeine tablets are:
- Quick energy boost - As we have seen, caffeine capsules will provide you with a quicker, sometimes a good jolt of energy than you’ll usually get from a cup of coffee. While there’s plenty to be said for the ritual of preparing and drinking coffee, sometimes you just don’t have time for the ritual.
- Sharper mental focus - There’s little doubt that as the caffeine from your caffeine pill begins to increase your metabolism more blood will be pumping through your veins into your brain where it will deliver more oxygen and provide a higher level of mental alertness, focus, and awareness.
- Enhanced athletic and physical performance - Few are the people who work out without first either drinking a strong cup of coffee or taking caffeine pills. The boost you get from a caffeine pill can make the difference between achieving your physical performance goals and coming up short. (3)
Are There Any Side Effects?
Caffeine pills cause no side effects when taken as directed, which means caffeine pills are as safe as any other supplement. However, keep in mind that any supplement taken excessively is bound to generate side effects, and caffeine is no exception.
Even the best caffeine pill can ruin your system.
Too much caffeine can typically cause insomnia, headaches, rapid heart rate, irritability, jitters and possibly gastric distress or acid reflux.
This is particularly important for people with caffeine tolerance.
But as we've mentioned, you can avoid most of these effects by using caffeine supplements as directed.
Can you chew caffeine pills?
No, you can't chew caffeine pills. None of the best caffeine pills on the market actually come in chewable form.
Furthermore, trying to chew a standard caffeine supplement is likely to produce an extremely unpleasant taste.
How long will caffeine stay in my system?
Caffeine will stay in your system for as long as a few hours, but the exact amount will depend on how much caffeine you took.
If you stick to the script and take only as directed, the caffeine should clear your system in 4 or 5 hours. If you overdid it, you could be in for a long sleepless night.
Can caffeine pills be used for weight loss?
Yes, caffeine pills can be used for weight loss. However, it would be best to combine them with proper exercise and diet to see results.
Can you take caffeine pills before going to bed?
Taking caffeine pills before going to bed is not advisable as doing so may disrupt your sleep. Instead, take them within six hours of your bedtime. So if you typically turn in at midnight, stop taking caffeine pills after 6 pm.
Can you overdose on caffeine pills?
No, you can't overdose on caffeine pills. While caffeine overdose is theoretically possible, the amount you'd need to consume is 5000 mg a day, making it quite impossible.
How long does it take for caffeine pills to kick in?
Caffeine pills take about 60 to 90 minutes to kick in. By that time, the caffeine levels in the blood begin to peak, rising slower if you take the supplement with a large meal.
When should you take caffeine pills?
Take caffeine pills about an hour before your designated activity. You should expect to experience the maximum benefits of caffeine, such as energy boost and improved mental focus, for a few hours.
However, you must be careful with your caffeine intake as it can hinder your ability to sleep. Make sure to take your caffeine supplement before 6 pm to get a good night's sleep, unless you want to stay up all night.
Are caffeine pills good for studying?
Yes, caffeine pills are good for studying. It is well-known for its nootropic potential and can boost your cognitive performance, memory, focus, and attention, especially if you lack sleep.
Caffeine is an excellent tool to help you improve your studying, especially late at night. However, it's best to take caffeine supplements before 6 pm to enjoy undisrupted sleep before your exams. It's crucial to have eight hours of sleep to retain the information you need to learn and recall them later.
Our #1 Recommended Caffeine Pills
Among the best caffeine pills in our list, Performance Lab® Stim offers a glimpse of the future of caffeine stimulation. It’s real next generation stuff.
It delivers a smarter, cleaner and more controlled caffeine kick – without having to worry about jitters, jolts or feeling ‘wired’.
The blend of L-Theanine, L-Tyrosine and B-Vitamins counterbalance the negative sides of caffeine. It gives you the mental and physical energy boost you want for the gym, work, or life in general without the jolt, crash and burnout.
Even the caffeine capsules themselves are good for you. They’re 100% plant-based and prebiotic-infused for easy digestion.