Some research suggests that 75% of the population are not getting enough sun exposure.
With even a mild vitamin D deficiency having a significant impact on your immunity, vitamin D supplements have increasingly become one of the most recommended products to take.
If you’re like me, then getting out in the sunshine during the day is a bit difficult when you’re trying to juggle work and life.
Unfortunately, there are many low-quality supplements out there.
And before you just try to boost your vitamin D intake with the first product you see, let me show you what our research has found.
Our Top Vitamin D Supplements
1 - Transparent Labs Vitamin D3
With 5,000 IU per day, Transparent Labs has based the formula on scientific research and providing more than is needed per day .
We’ve seen positive reviews from people with bone density issues, and our own experience has been positive for improved immunity.
- Dosage: 125mcg
- Positive reviews about boosted immune responses
- 5,000 IU of D3 per dose is in line with scientific recommendations
- Claims to help reverse a reduction in bone density
- Transparent label with no additives, allergens, or fillers
- Free shipping is only available on bulk orders
2 - 1MD D3
The next one of our recommended vitamin D supplements comes from 1MD. Their approach has been to create a product that may be faster to absorb than other supplements.
This should show improvements in bone health sooner, and it’s often recommended by health professionals.
- Dosage: 125mcg
- Claims to use a more bioavailable source for faster absorption
- Comes in small and easy to swallow capsules
- Good bulk discount offers available
- Contains some gelatin
3 - Essential Elements Vitamin D3
This vitamin D supplement claims to be a superior type of D3 that may improve heart, immune and mental health.
And we did notice several positive comments where people found their mood and energy levels improved after a few weeks.
- Dosage: 125mcg
- Positive reviews from people who noticed a better immune function
- Seems to work well to improve mood and mental energy levels
- Capsules are nice and small to make swallowing easier
- Some better bulk discounts would be great
4 - NatureWise Vitamin D3
The next one of our favored vitamin D supplements is from NatureWise, and what we liked is the use of organic olive oil to deliver the vitamin.
It’s also independently tested for purity, which should give you some extra peace of mind.
- Dosage: 125mcg
- Tested by a third-party company for purity and quality
- Uses organic olive oil for extra peace of mind
- Comes in a large bulk order bottle
- The capsules tend to stick together if not kept in a cool place
5 - American BioSciences ImmPowerD3 AHCC & Vitamin D3
The final one comes as a combination of the two powerful immunity enhancers: the AHCC and vitamin D3, ‘the sunshine vitamin.’
These two ingredients together are said to be very effective at boosting the body’s immune defense and maintaining overall health.
- Great as an immunity booster
- With a good dose of Vitamin D3 that activates T-cells
- Vegetarian and gluten-free capsules
- A few reports about difficulties of getting the dose right
6 - Nordic Naturals Vitamin D3 Gummies
If you need a vitamin D3 supplement that has a lower dose or comes in something other than a capsule, then Nordic Naturals might be your best bet.
The gummies might be ideal for kids or adults that just don’t like swallowing tablets.
- Dosage: 25mcg
- Comes in convenient gummies
- Has a lower dose of D3 which may be more suitable for kids
- They don’t seem to be too sweet tasting
- Some people have said the flavor is a bit fake
7 - Caltrate Calcium and Vitamin D Supplement Tablet
These tablets take a specific focus on bone health by combining a small amount of D3 with a good dose of calcium.
The formula should help women who may have bone density issues.
- Dosage: 20mcg
- Combines calcium with D3 for a boost to bone health
- Specifically formulated for women
- Available in large bulk order bottles
- Some users have reported upset stomachs
8 - NOW Supplements Vitamin D3
For anyone with a significant deficiency in D3, this NOW Supplements product might raise your blood levels of D3 faster.
It does seem to be backed up by users who have noted positive results within just a few weeks.
- Dosage: 250mcg
- High strength option for significant deficiency
- Positive reviews about fast absorption and immune boost
- The softgels seem to be easy to swallow
- Can’t be broken down into smaller doses
9 - MegaFood Vitamin D3
We liked the MegaFood supplement because the company claims that all ingredients are sourced farm fresh to ensure higher quality.
The dosage might seem like it’s on the low side, but with a higher absorption rate, it should work fine.
- Dosage: 50 mcg
- Sourced from farm-fresh greens for higher quality
- Available in bulk order bottles
- Many positive comments about improvements in bone density
- Some users reported indigestion shortly after taking it
10 - Designs for Health Vitamin D Drops
Another convenient option is to measure out your daily dose of vitamins in liquid form. Some individuals might get a precise dose recommended by a doctor, and this supplement would be a good option for that.
Related post: Best vitamin D3 and K2
- Dosage: 50 mcg
- Comes in liquid form to get a precise dose as needed
- Positive reviews about it absorbing fast and working within weeks
- Could be a cost-effective solution for long term use
- The taste isn’t great, so you may want to mix it with juice
11 - Pure Encapsulations Vitamin D3
The final one of our recommended vitamin D supplements comes from Pure Encapsulations.
It’s also one of the few products available that have a vegan certificate.
- Dosage: 25 mcg
- Liquid form for more flexibility in dosage
- Certified vegan option
- Free from common allergens to reduce risks of reactions
- It’s not the strongest option available
How Much Vitamin D Should You Take?
Most supplements will usually provide a dose of D3 that is close to the 125mcg recommended by medical scientists . But it’s sometimes necessary to get a higher or lower dose per day.
The first thing you should do when comparing products is to look at the dosage to accurately compare the prices.
If you have particularly low vitamin D levels, or you have been recommended a precise dosage, then it might be best to use a product with a high dose or one in liquid form that makes it easier to measure out an exact volume.
What’s The Difference Between Vitamin D And Vitamin D3?
Vitamin D3 is the closest related to the vitamin D the body produces, and it’s a bit difficult to get from food sources . The recommended form of vitamin D in the medical industry is pretty much always D3.
And the lack of sun exposure and common use of sunscreen may lead to a vitamin D deficiency.
“Vitamin D is known as the “sunshine vitamin” because it’s produced within the body when the sun hits the skin. But many people turn to supplements in chillier months of the year when cold and dark days limit time spent outdoors.”
- Sheryl Huggins Salomon, Health and wellbeing journalist
Other forms like D2 have been tested as well, but the research results have been a bit mixed. That’s why we focused our attention on providing product suggestions that provide only D3.
Which Vitamin D3 Supplement Should You Buy?
Some of our clients had a blood test done before and after testing out supplements. The results from these tests seem to favor Transparent Labs, where we noticed a faster response within a few weeks.
We also noted improvements in bone density, immunity, and even overall mood.
Order yours today and then report back to us how it worked for you.