Your abs are more than just a six-pack; they’re the core of your strength, the center of your balance, and the foundation of your power.
But training them with crunches and sit-ups can be a real pain. After years of exploring other options and after much trial and error, I discovered the power of weighted abs exercises.
In this article, I will share my favorite weighted ab exercises and tips to maximize gains in your abs.
- Weighted abs workouts — such as Russian twists, weighted leg raises, Turkish get-ups, and cable crunches — build strength and definition in the abdominal muscles.
- These exercises add resistance to the movement, making them more challenging and effective.
- To maximize the benefits of a weighted ab workout, start with a moderate weight, focus on proper form, and gradually increase intensity over time.
Best Weighted Ab Exercises For a Stronger Core
Before we get into our list of ab exercises, let’s understand why they’re effective.
Are Weighted Ab Exercises Effective?
Yes, weighted ab exercises are effective in strengthening and building your core, provided they are done with proper form and technique and combined with a well-rounded workout routine and a healthy diet .
7 Best Weighted Abs Exercises
Here’s our list of the seven best ab exercises with weights.
1. Weighted Hanging Leg Raise
When performing this abs exercise, the body moves from a hanging hollow body position to a pike position as muscles contract from global extension to global flexion, a great leg exercise that maximizes muscle building.
To do the exercise:
- Start by hanging from a pull-up bar with your arms straight.
- Hold a dumbbell between your feet or ankles.
- Raise your legs until they parallel the ground.
- Hold this position briefly before lowering your legs to the starting position.
2. Barbell Rollout
This exercise heavily targets the abdominal muscles and demands significant core strength while avoiding strain on the lower back.
To perform it:
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart and load a barbell with 5 kg (10 lb) plates.
- Hold the barbell with an overhand grip.
- Place your shoulders above the bar and roll it forward slowly.
- Hold for a moment, and then return to the standing position.
Also Read: Best Muscle Building Barbell Exercises
3. Staggered Woodchop
The staggered woodchop is a weighted ab exercise involving diagonal chopping movement with a cable or resistance band.
Follow these steps to do it with good form:
- Start staggered with one foot in front of the other and hold a weight with both hands above one shoulder.
- Bring the weight diagonally across your body towards the opposite hip, pivoting your back foot and rotating your torso.
- Pause briefly before returning to the starting position.
4. Weighted Russian Twists
The weighted Russian twist is a favored exercise for athletes as it enhances rotational movement commonly needed in sports.
Here’s how to do it:
- Sit with knees bent and feet flat, inclined at 45 degrees.
- Hold a small weight plate, dumbbell, or medicine ball before you.
- Rotate your torso left and right, lowering the weight to the floor.
- Keep the same torso angle, the core engaged, and maintain form throughout.
5. Turkish Get-Up
Turkish get-ups are effective belly fat-burning exercises that involve several movements in sequence.
The exercise is performed as follows:
- Lie face up with left leg straight, right leg bent and feet hip-width apart on the floor.
- Hold the kettlebell above your shoulder with your right arm at a 45-degree angle.
- Raise the weight until the arm is straight but not locked.
- Sit up by pushing into the left arm.
- Rise onto the left palm and lift your hips off the floor.
- Slide left knee behind body until kneeling.
- Sweep the left foot back into a kneeling lunge.
- Push through your feet to stand.
6. Weighted Planks
Weighted planks are a variation of the traditional plank exercise where weight is added on the back, challenging the upper abs to maintain a stable back.
To perform a weighted plank:
- Kneel and place forearms on the floor with hands extended in a plank position.
- Walk your feet out until your body forms a straight line.
- Have a training partner place weight on the lower back.
- Hold the position for 20–30 seconds.
- Increase the weight if able to hold for longer.
- Have your partner remove the weight.
“Planks create contractions of the core, arm, and shoulder muscles as you stay in a push-up position. The key is staying as stiff as you can, like a wooden plank.”
- Marty Boehm, Physical Therapist
7. Half-Kneeling Windmill
The half-kneeling windmill is an exercise that involves kneeling with one leg and holding a kettlebell with one hand.
Follow these steps to do this exercise:
- Kneel on your left knee with your right foot beside you and hold a kettlebell in your right hand.
- Rack the kettlebell at your chest, then lift it overhead.
- Lower your upper body to your left hand, then your elbow and forearm on the ground.
- Reverse the movement.
Also Read: How to Do the Windmill Exercise Correctly
Tips To Maximize Gains in Your Core Muscles
To maximize gains in your core, challenge yourself with progressive overload, vary your exercises, and focus on proper form .
Incorporate both body weight and weighted abdominal exercises, such as planks, Russian twists, and crunches.
Prioritize compound exercises for multiple muscle groups, like deadlifts and squats, and fuel your body with proper nutrition.
Can You Get Abs by Lifting Heavy Weights?
Yes, you can get abs by lifting heavy weights to some extent, but a combination of exercise and proper supplementation is necessary to achieve visible abs.
Do Weighted Ab Exercises Burn Belly Fat?
Weighted ab exercises alone do not burn belly fat. A calorie deficit through exercise and a healthy diet is necessary to lose belly fat.
Should I Do Heavy Weight or High Reps for Abs?
You should do a combination of both heavy weight and high reps for developing abs, but it ultimately depends on your goals and training program.
Build a Bulletproof Core With Weighted Core Exercises
Weighted core workout challenges the core beyond traditional bodyweight ab exercises, leading to better athletic performance, posture, and physical function.
These workouts are demanding, so I suggest taking a natural pre-workout supplement to enhance your energy levels.
We extensively examined these products and selected only the ones that provided optimal outcomes. So give them a shot to build six-pack ab muscles more effectively with a weighted abs workout.
About The Author
You May Also Like
What To Eat & What Supplements To Take?
29 Fitness Trainers Share Their Tips