The Rock is one of the strongest and most ripped Hollywood actors that indulge in special workout regimes to achieve an incredible physique.
He performs regular lifting sessions, cardio training, and ab workouts daily to get that six-pack he showcases in his movies.
I undertook more than 17 hours of research to compile the ultimate The Rock ab workout, which will get you to a physique like his.
I ensured all exercises were safe to perform and will induce maximal muscle-building results.
Read below to learn the entire ab workout routine, his workout principle, diet plant, and supplementation.
- The Rock's ab workout includes hanging leg raises, rope crunch, and Russian twists.
- The Rock trained abdominal muscles only once per week to get his abs to show, using short rest periods and high repetitions.
- The Rock ate 547 grams of proteins, 469 grams of carbs, and 99 grams of fat daily to achieve a superior physique.
Celebrity Stats/Career Highlights
- Age: 47
- Height: 6’2”
- Weight: 262 lbs
- Waist: 35 inches
- Chest: 50 inches
Ab Workout Routine
The ab workout we will showcase was used to prepare The Rock for the movie Hercules.
However, Dwayne Johnson uses the same ab workout during a year and only changes slightly to adapt to a new movie role.
View this post on Instagram
This ab routine is similar to the Bretman Rock ab workout, a famous digital influencer from the Philippines.
Here is the entire ab workout plan used to target every single abdominal muscle group and get
Dwayne Johnson prepared for the movie Hercules.
All ab workouts were performed only once per week for 4 sets and twenty reps:
1. Hanging Leg Raise: One of the best abdominal exercises that follow the trunk flexion movement pattern. It effectively targets your rectus abdominis, the biggest abdominal muscle, also called the six-pack ab muscle. The Rock performs hanging leg raises between the sets of his regular pushing and pulling exercises for 4 sets of 20 reps in total.
2. Rope Crunch: Another core exercise that easily isolates the rectus abdominis, the biggest abdominal muscle. However, internal and external obliques will also help the movement by acting as synergists to the rectus abdominis. Dwayne Johnson performed the same amount of 4 sets for 20 reps for this exercise.
3. Russian Twist: The only exercises on the list that will target obliques more than the rectus abdominis. Russian twists follow the rotational or trunk twist movement pattern that effectively targets your external and internal obliques. Dwayne Johnson performed 4 sets of 20 reps of Russian twists, sometimes at the end but most often between the sets of regular lifting exercises.
Other Celebrity Ab Workouts: Jay Cutler's Ab Workout
According to experts and some CrossFit instructors, intensity is the main principle behind Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's ab workout .
Lower rest periods between the sets combined with high rep ranges are great for inducing local endurance and hypertrophy of abdominal muscles .
Dwayne, The Rock Johnson, performed the sets of 20 reps with as little rest in between as possible.
However, he also did regular workout sessions to support his ab workouts.
Some of the exercises he performed included:
- Incline Dumbbell Press
- Leg Press
- Cable Machine Rows
- Cable Machine Lateral Raises
- Barbell Curls
- Dumbbell Lateral Raise
As you might notice, almost all exercises are compound, making them efficient for activating large muscle groups and inducing hypertrophy effects.
The Rock undertook a strict diet for 22 days to make his abs visible.
Here is the most important macronutrient information:
- Protein: 547 grams
- Carbs: 469 grams
- Fat: 99 grams
- Total: 4,940 calories
The diet includes optimal protein intake for muscle growth. It is meant to support anabolic metabolism and reduce the chance of muscle atrophy.
Diet / Nutrition Principles
The main principles behind The Rock ab workout diet and nutrition are high proteins, moderate carbs, and low fats.
All proteins were acquired from lean protein sources such as beef, chicken, and egg whites.
You cannot build muscles without protein since it contains amino acids, responsible for building muscle mass and repairing body tissues.
Wondering if rice is a good pre-workout meal?
The main carbohydrate food used during the filming of Hercules was white rice, which The Rock ate almost 4-5 times a day.
“A meal plan is the best way to take results to the next level, setting the stage for true transformation. With consistency, you will learn what foods & macros work best for your body to help you accomplish your goals."
- Dave Rienzi, Strength & Conditioning Coach for Dwayne Johnson
The Rock used multiple supplements to support his ab workout routine.
Here are the most important supplements he used:
- Whey Protein
- Branched-Chain Amino Acids
The Rock is not on steroids. He combined proper diet and exercise and takes the right supplements to build a hard-solid core.
Read More: Dwayne Johnson's Supplements You Can Replicate
Among the supplements on the list, the most important are whey protein and creatine since they have the biggest effect on muscle-building results.
What Is The Rock's Core Workout?
The Rock’s core workout consists of only three exercises. Those are hanging leg raises, rope crunches, and Russian twists.
How Do You Get The Rock's Abs?
To get The Rock's abs, you must combine a proper ab workout regime with diet and supplementation. Core strength and hypertrophy are only achieved through proper intake of carbs and proteins and intense workout sessions.
How Long Does Dwayne Johnson Workout a Day?
Dwayne Johnson workouts only once per day. However, he does it early in the morning and combines strength and cardio sessions.
What Should I Supplement to Get The Rock’s Abs?
You should supplement whey protein to get The Rock's abs.
Whey protein is not bad for the heart and it is one of the most important supplements for achieving a superior physique and building muscle.
Whey proteins enter your bloodstream fast, providing necessary macronutrients to your body after the workout session when the anabolic window occurs.
To get the most out of your protein purchase, read our detailed guide on the 7 best whey protein powders of 2023 and choose the one that suits your needs the best.
Let me know your thoughts on The Rock ab workouts and which ab exercise from the list is your favorite.
About The Author
You May Also Like
29 Fitness Trainers Share Their Tips