High-stress levels and anxiety are an unfortunate reality in modern life. While this hasn’t affected me personally, I have been interested in nutritional solutions to promote mental health.
Having explored various nutritional solutions to enhance mental well-being, ashwagandha has consistently stood out in my research and experience.
It’s been commonly used in traditional herbal and ayurvedic medicine, and many of my clients have been using it for better mental focus on many of life’s tougher tasks and to control weight gain.
So, we got together with our nutritionist to see if we could find the best ashwagandha supplements to recommend to clients.
The Best Ashwagandha Supplements
- Best Overall Ashwagandha Supplement: Transparent Labs
- Cheapest Ashwagandha Capsules: NutraLife Labs Organic Ashwagandha
- Best Reviewed Ashwagandha Capsules: Nuzena Organic
- Best Fast-Acting Ashwagandha Supplement: Essential Elements
- Best Ashwagandha Supplement for Stress Relief: Gaia Herbs Ashwagandha Root Extract
- Best Vegan Ashwagandha Supplement: Nature's Answer Ashwagandha Root
- Best Easy-to-Swallow Ashwagandha Powder: ORGANIC INDIA
Our Top Ashwagandha Supplements (February 2024)
1 - Transparent Labs KSM-66® Ashwagandha (Best Overall)
Pros and Cons
- You only need one capsule daily
- Capsules are easy to swallow
- No artificial sweeteners, colorings, and preservatives
- Uses ashwagandha sourced from private farms
- Some users report itching
- Dosage : 600mg
Having tried various brands, I found Transparent Labs' use of the trademarked KSM-66® ashwagandha by Ixoreal Biomed particularly effective for weight management.
The company, which has its private ashwagandha farms in India, claims that the climate and soil provide a suitable environment for growing the best ashwagandha.
Ixoreal Biomed also claims that KSM-66® has the highest concentration of all the major root bioactive compounds in ashwagandha so that you can enjoy the plant's benefits.
Each capsule delivers 600 mg of ashwagandha, and after taking it for a few weeks, I noticed that I've been in a better mood.
This gluten-free and non-GMO product contains no artificial sweeteners, coloring, and preservatives—a feature consistent with all Transparent Labs products.
2 - Nuzena Organic Ashwagandha (Best Reviewed)
Pros and Cons
- Positive comments about overall mental wellbeing
- Contains some added black pepper extract for faster absorption
- Independently tested for heavy metals
- Good bulk-order discounts available
- Some people find the capsules are a bit large
- Dosage : 1,300 mg
Among the various products I've tried, Nuzena's ashwagandha root powder consistently received positive feedback, marking its place as a top-tier ashwagandha supplement in today's market. It got the most positive feedback and reviews.
This supplement comes in capsule form and has a medium dose per serving, which might suit people who have just started taking ashwagandha.
The added black pepper may also help with absorption rates and a faster response to the micronutrients.
Just take note that it might take you a few attempts to get used to swallowing the capsules.
3 - Essential Elements Organic Ashwagandha (Best Fast-Acting)
Pros and Cons
- Has a stronger dose of ashwagandha, magnolia bark extract, and black pepper extract
- Seems to be absorbed fast
- Reports that it may start improving mental wellbeing within weeks
- You’ll need to swallow three capsules for the full dose
- Dosage : 1,950 mg
Essential Elements' ashwagandha formulation has consistently delivered on its promise for those like me who prefer a potent dose.
It looks like it’s absorbed fast, and many reviewers have said they noticed stress relief within just a couple of weeks.
We also saw some reports where people had a measured improvement in thyroid hormones, which may also help support your overall mood.
The only downside is that the full dose would require you to swallow three tablets every day.
4 - NutraLife Labs Organic Ashwagandha (Cheapest Option)
Pros and Cons
- Seems to provide a blend of ashwagandha root extract and powder
- Comes with a money-back guarantee
- Certified organic option with only plant ingredients
- Doesn’t seem to work as fast as other products
- Dosage : 2,100 mg
Having experimented with various dosages, I found NutraLife's offering, which combines both extract and powder, to be among the most potent.
It might also be the best option for vegans and anyone looking for a gluten-free and certified organic option to get high-quality ingredients.
There’s also a money-back guarantee, so you might try it out to see the results for yourself.
It may take a bit longer to work than other supplements because it’s a mix of extract and raw powder.
5 - Gaia Herbs Ashwagandha Root Extract (Best for Stress Relief)
Pros and Cons
- Seems to work well in the morning to get your mind to focus
- Many positive comments about it helping with stress and anxiety
- Comes in a large bottle for longer supply
- It might not be strong enough for some people
- Dosage : 350 mg
Gaia Herbs is one of the ashwagandha supplement brands that we first thought wouldn’t be strong enough. But after some closer research into online user reviews, it seems to be a good option to focus your mind in the morning.
We also saw some positive comments that it might help to reduce cholesterol levels, which could prevent some types of heart disease.
Some people might not get the best results for chronic stress due to the lower dosage.
6 - Nature's Answer Ashwagandha Root (Best Vegan)
Pros and Cons
- Comes in a liquid form to mix in with smoothies
- Many positive reviews that it may work for anti-anxiety
- Allergen-free vegan option
- The taste isn’t that nice
- Dosage : 2,000 mg
This ashwagandha supplement takes a slightly different approach by providing it in a liquid form, which may allow you to mix it with drinks, including smoothies.
Some people say that this should make ashwagandha supplementation more effective and faster to absorb.
From the feedback we've gathered, mixing it directly with water might require adjusting its taste. However, our team and clients found it blends well with fruit juices and smoothies.
7 - ORGANIC INDIA Ashwagandha Bulk Herb Powder (Best Easy-to-Swallow)
Pros and Cons
- Use the whole herb rather than a refined extract
- Certified organic and vegan option
- The capsules seem to be easy to swallow
- Higher recommended doses may cause an upset stomach
- Dosage : 400 mg
Here’s another good organic ashwagandha root extract which aims to provide a ground version of the whole herb. Some extraction processes might result in a less effective ashwagandha supplementation, which this powder form aims to solve.
There are plenty of positive reviews about how it thyroid function as well as good antioxidant properties.
One thing we noted is that some users said they had an upset stomach after taking the higher recommended doses on the bottle.
8 - NOW Supplements, Ashwagandha
Pros and Cons
- Capsules are easy to swallow and suitable for multiple doses per day
- Seems to work well to remove free radicals
- Comes in a bulk-size bottle to last longer
- It’s not the full strength KSM-66 type of extract
- Dosage : 450 mg
This ashwagandha supplement has many positive comments from people who have used it for detox benefits.
It also seems to be a good option for people who prefer to take ashwagandha capsules that are not too big and, therefore, easier to swallow.
Based on observations from our clients and some team members, opting for the larger bottle can be cost-effective, ensuring a steady supply for several months.
Just keep in mind that it’s not the full strength extract that most other products use.
9 - HawaiiPharm Ashwagandha
Pros and Cons
- Provided in liquid form for faster absorption
- Seems to be easy to mix with smoothies
- Claims to only use wild-harvested sources
- You’ll need to count out 30 drops for each dose
- Dosage : 300 mg
This pure ashwagandha supplement is another one provided in liquid form, which claims to make it easier and faster to absorb type than using ashwagandha powder.
It’s also claimed to be sourced from sustainable wild ashwagandha roots, which may improve the overall quality as well.
We found that it worked well with smoothies and didn’t seem to leave any noticeable taste.
I’d recommend getting a small pipette or syringe to avoid having to count out 30 drops for each dose.
10 - FGO Organic Ashwagandha Root Powder
Pros and Cons
- Comes in a powder form suitable for mixing with drinks and smoothies
- Provided in raw form from certified organic and non-GMO sources
- Has a money-back guarantee for added peace of mind
- It might leave a bit of an aftertaste in stronger doses
- Dosage : 500 mg
The final product on our list of best ashwagandha supplements is another organic one that is actually the raw powder form.
Some people prefer this option to a purified supplement, as it may provide more of the beneficial micronutrients.
It’s certified organic and non-GMO and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee to give you a low-risk way to test it out.
When my team and I added a larger dose to our meals in our trials, we noticed a distinct aftertaste. It suggests that adjusting the dosage might be beneficial to achieve the desired flavor profile.
How We Tested the Best Ashwagandha Supplements
- Examined various brands: We focused on different ashwagandha supplements, including those with high user reviews and unique formulations.
- Assessed dosage and formulation: We evaluated the potency and effectiveness of each supplement, considering the dosage and added ingredients like black pepper for absorption.
- Tested for fast-acting effects: We looked for supplements that showed quick results in stress relief and mental well-being.
- Considered different forms: We analyzed supplements in various forms, including capsules, powders, and liquids, for ease of use and absorption.
- Checked for organic and vegan options: We prioritized supplements that cater to specific dietary needs and preferences, ensuring high-quality ingredients.
- Evaluated user feedback: We incorporated user reviews and feedback to gauge overall satisfaction and effectiveness of the supplements.
When choosing the best ashwagandha available, be sure to check these things out.
1 - Check The Source
We encountered three different sources of ashwagandha that are commonly used in supplements:
- Ashwagandha extract
- Ashwagandha powder
- Raw ashwagandha
These are pure ashwagandha extract supplements. Not like other products that combine Indian ginseng, cordyceps mushroom extract, beet juice or banned penis plant juice with the main component.
Some people prefer the raw type as it may keep all the micronutrients undamaged.
But if you use a product that uses gentle processing, then a powder or extract might make it faster for your body to absorb .
I would also say that you may not need as much extract as you would the raw form, so keep that in mind when you’re comparing products.
2 - Don’t Undervalue Quality
Now, I would suggest getting something organic if your budget will stretch that far. This way, you're ensuring you get the best quality products.
It might reduce the risks of exposure to a concentration of toxins used in common pesticides and herbicides.
There is still some debate over how much of an impact these toxins might have on humans, but if you want to be on the safe side, then pick something organic .
3 - Compare The Dosage
In most cases where we didn't notice the full effects of ashwagandha, it was down to a dosage that was way too low.
The absolute minimum ashwagandha dosage should be about 300 mg, which should give you some of the benefits including improving your mood and positivity, improving memory, lower blood sugar levels, and more.
“Most experts recommend starting with a dose of about 300 to 500 milligrams per day of ashwagandha extract, with with anolides in the range of 5 percent to 10 percent. A full dose of ashwagandha would be between 1,000–1,500 milligrams per day of extract.”
- Jillian Levy, Holistic Health Coach
But is that really enough?
I would say that you should aim to choose a product with at least 1,000 mg daily serving per capsule to get all the expected results .
4 - Choose Between Powder Vs. Capsules Vs. Liquid
Now, I didn’t find any human studies to show whether either of these forms is better. But we did find that the powder extract might give you a bit more flexibility.
It seems to be easy to mix into a bowl of cereal or a fruit smoothie. And the ones we tested didn’t leave an aftertaste like the liquid ones.
However, for convenience, it’s hard to beat a simple capsule.
But you do want to check the size of the capsule as some of them are quite large and difficult to swallow.
So, I would really say that it’s a personal preference and that you shouldn’t see any negatives from the strength or absorption rate.
5 - Look At Other Helpful Ingredients
The final thing to look for is whether the makers have added some other beneficial ingredients into the formula.
What do I mean?
It could be anything from other herbs and spices with known health benefits on thyroid levels, weight loss, brain function, and even blood pressure.
It’s important to factor these benefits into your product comparison, as you may be able to save on other supplements as a result.
Does Ashwagandha Really Work?
Yes, Ashwagandha really works. Many people find that it gives them a more positive mood. However, it might not be the solution for serious mental health issues, but it could provide enough of a boost to improve your disposition.
How Quickly Does Ashwagandha Work?
Ashwagandha may work as quickly as two weeks, especially when combined with a healthy diet and lifestyle. It's not a miracle herb that will solve all your health issues, but studies have shown many positive effects.
What Is The Best Ashwagandha Supplement?
Based on all our test results and conversations with clients, we concluded that Transparent Labs KSM-66® Ashwagandha would be our top recommendation.
At 600 mg per capsule, it's got just the right dose to make enough of an impact without causing side effects.
The brand also uses the trademarked KSM-66® ashwagandha sourced from private farms in India, ensuring that it's of the best quality.
This product has significantly improved my mood and reduced my stress levels, which is why I wouldn't think twice about recommending it to anyone.
About The Author
You May Also Like