Getting rid of neck fat is challenging and time-consuming, and you might feel like giving up every step of the way.
As a certified personal trainer with sufficient knowledge of fat-burning processes, dietary recommendations for losing weight, and 36 hours of research, I created an easy-to-follow guide to get rid of neck fat naturally and effectively.
After reading the article, you will know the 6 most important ways to get rid of neck fat, the best exercises for losing neck fat, and the best supplement to help you along the way.
- To get rid of neck fat, you must decrease your calorie intake, stay hydrated, regularly perform neck exercises, do more cardio sessions, follow a healthy diet and supplementation plan, and increase lean protein intake to approximately 1 g per pound of body weight daily.
- The main causes of a double chin, or fat neck appearance, is the pressure of excessive fat around your neck due to inactivity, inappropriate calorie intake, and bad nutrition and supplementation.
- Neck exercises such as straight jaw cut, ball exercise, and pucker-up are useful to get your neck stronger and leaner and make it look more muscular, negating the effects and appearance of a fat-looking neck.
6 Ways to Get Rid of Neck Fat
Here are the 6 main ways to get rid of neck fat naturally.
1. Decrease Your Daily Calorie Intake
A caloric deficit means consuming fewer calories than your TDEE or total daily energy expenditure.
You will need to calculate how many calories you consume daily based on daily activities. When you get the number, for example, 2400 calories, you must eat fewer calories to lose weight.
Stay with a 200 to 300 caloric deficit for healthy weight loss.
2. Stay Hydrated
Staying hydrated isn’t just important for getting rid of neck fat but for general health .
When you consume enough water, assuming it is tap water, your body will feel more energized, focused, and ready to perform because your body is made from 70% of water.
Water and staying hydrated are also important for your muscles since your muscles are mainly water too.
You can exercise normally or even move extensively throughout the day if you don’t consume even water to stay hydrated.
Lastly, if you drink water regularly, you will likely feel more saturated and avoid drinking sodas and sugary drinks, which are the worst for maintaining a healthy lean muscle mass to fat ratio.
3. Do Neck Exercises
Part of every weight and fat loss program must be an appropriately designed workout and exercise plan.
Neck exercises, such as the one below this list, will help you strengthen your neck, look more muscular, and eliminate that excessive fat.
Regular exercise and a healthy diet are the two most important factors for losing weight and excess fat.
Exercise will force your muscles to restore their functionality and burn fat since your body moves much harder with fat than without it.
It is a natural process of burning fat that occurs in your body when you exercise.
Your body will strive to get rid of excess fat because you will be moving and spending energy regularly, and having all that fat around isn’t the most optimized way to get through those activities.
4. Do More Cardio
Cardio is the best form of exercise to directly eliminate fat stores across your body .
Performing cardio exercises in the aerobic zone based on your cardio training experience will provenly burn your excess fat.
Here are aerobic zones according to your experience level and percentage of maximal oxygen consumption (VO2 max).
These numbers represent the zones you must remain in during exercising to burn the most significant among of fat:
- Beginners - 35-60% of your VO2 max
- Intermediate - 50-70% of your VO2 max
- Advanced - 60-80% of your VO2 max
5. Follow a Healthy Diet
Following a healthy diet with an appropriate macronutrient ratio is crucial for eliminating neck fat.
You must consume appropriate amounts of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins to keep losing fat as you lose weight.
Also, you should strive to eat whole foods since they have more high-quality fibers, which will release energy slowly during the day and never cause insulin spikes in your body, such as when consuming sweets and similar sugary products.
6. Increase Lean Protein Intake
Increasing lean protein intake is the last thing you should do to eliminate neck fat.
Eating more protein will force your muscles to grow if coupled with good neck exercise programs and workouts.
Also, eating more protein will make you feel more satiated, preventing you from eating extra carbs during the day.
Strive to increase your lean protein intake from foods such as chicken, salmon, beef, and similar.
What Causes a Double Chin?
A double chin is caused by having an extra layer of fat below your chin.
It is often associated with weight gain. However, there are cases where skinny people have double chin problems.
In addition, looser skin and genetics often resulting from aging may also cause the double chin excess fat problem.
3 Exercises That Target a Double Chin
Here are 3 exercises to consider for targeting a double chin and getting rid of neck fat.
"Necksercise! It’s a thing. And I feel like I’m taking crazy pills because yes, squats are important, and sure, deadlifts and power cleans stimulate the neck muscles some, but there are real, legitimate benefits to training your neck directly."
- Nick English, Certified Personal Trainer
1. Straight Jaw Jut
How to Perform a Straight Jaw Jut
- Start by tilting your back and looking toward the ceiling.
- Initiate the movement with your lower jaw forward to feel a stretch under the chin.
- Do it for as long as you can, but aim to hold for a count of 10.
- Now relax your jaw and return your head to the starting neutral position and repeat.
2. Ball Exercise
How to Perform a Ball Exercise
- Take a ball with a 9 to 10 inches diameter and place it under your chin.
- Start the exercise by pressing the chin against the ball.
- Keep the tension through a range of motion and squeeze at the end.
- Repeat several times throughout the day as separate small neck workouts for the best effects.
3. Pucker Up
How to Perform a Pucker-up
- Look at the ceiling by tilting your head back.
- Pucker your lips as if you would initiate kissing the ceiling to stretch the area directly beneath your chin.
- Bring your head back to its normal neutral position simultaneously as you stop puckering your lips.
How Do You Lose Neck Fat Fast?
You lose neck fat fast by exercising your neck muscles excessively and cutting down calories to be in a caloric deficit. This means you will lose weight regardless of what you do daily since you consume fewer calories than your total daily energy expenditure, which is necessary for maintaining your body weight.
How Can I Lose Face and Neck Fat Naturally?
You can lose face and neck fat naturally by doing regular neck and chin exercises, lowering your caloric intake, and having a leaner diet. Losing neck fat is hard if you fail to incorporate cardio exercises in the aerobic zone of 35 to 50% for beginners, which has been shown to burn the fattest during and post-workout.
How Long Does It Take To Lose Neck Fat?
It takes up to 6 months to lose neck fat and get your facial and neck muscles healthy and looking natural. Neck fat is like any other excess fat around your body, meaning you approach the fat neck problem the same way you would approach losing excess weight and fat at different places in your body.
Why Is My Neck Getting Fat but I’m Skinny?
Your neck is getting fat even if you are skinny because you are inactive and have a bad diet with a bad macronutrient ratio. To get rid of fat cells in your neck despite being skinny, you must incorporate cardio exercises with moderate intensity, strength neck exercises, and a healthy diet and supplementation.
Does Walking Burn Neck Fat?
Yes, walking burns neck fat. However, you would probably want to increase the intensity of your cardio exercises, such as walking, or switch to more intense exercises, such as jogging, jumping rope, or similar, to get rid of the turkey neck and the double chin naturally but also faster.
About The Author
You May Also Like