A cable workout machine is a great alternative to using weights, and with the right kind of setup, you can target all muscle groups.
But what most owners of home gym exercise equipment don’t realize is that there’s a fair bit of maintenance involved to ensure the movement patterns of a gym cable stay smooth.
There are also important safety concerns if you don’t keep the cable connections tight on the weight stack.
So, I spent some time with the maintenance team at my gym to see how they handled this important process.
- Gym machine cables come under a huge amount of strain during workouts, and the friction with a pulley and weight load can cause connections to be less secured.
- Every machine will have a slightly different connection to the weight stack, but they will all have a mechanism that will allow you to tighten any slack on a cable.
- It’s important to keep a careful eye on the mechanics of all exercise machines to avoid failures that could lead to injuries.
How to Tighten a Cable on a Home Gym?
You tighten a cable on a home gym machine by adjusting a few nuts and bolts on the pulley system.
Here are some general instructions for a cable machine:
- Step 1: Find the original fitness machine instructions before you start taking off weights or disconnecting a pulley. While most equipment has similar adjustments, there can be some extra safety steps for your one.
- Step 2: Check if you have a wrench that fits the hex bolts on the weight stack. You can also pick up a set in a hardware store that will cover all kinds of sizes. It’s always good to have such a set available for other adjustments as well.
- Step 3: Pull out the pin that lets you select how many weight plates you will pull to make it easier for you to move the mechanism without strain. It’s important that you avoid lifting something heavy during this process as you might have to twist your body during the process, which can lead to injuries .
- Step 4: At the top of the weight stack, you should see two adjustment bolts where the cable is attached to the weights. By adjusting these up and down, you can tighten and loosen the cable, and it’s also where you would have to remove the bolts in order to replace old parts.
- Step 5: Loosen the lower nut closest to the weights first. You might be able to do this with your hands, and I would raise it about half an inch above the weight plate first. You want to gradually make adjustments until the mechanism feels tight again.
- Step 6: Now turn the top part of the bolt clockwise, and you should notice that it will gradually get closer to the top weight. If it’s still a bit loose after this first round of adjusting, then repeat steps 5 and 6.
- Step 7: Once you feel like you’ve got the ideal tightness and there’s no slack left, then try out the machine and pulley mechanism with a light weight first. Pay attention to the moving parts, and if anything looks or feels loose, then check if some more tightening is needed.
- Step 8: If you can’t get the pulleys to work properly, then it might be down to a faulty part, and you may need to consider replacing an old cable. If you exercise with a heavy weight load regularly, then this can eventually happen.
Cable Machine Maintenance and Safety Tips
If you own a cable machine, then follow these safety tips.
The maintenance crew checks for these things once a week, and you should do the same if you spend a lot of time in your garage gym.
Regularly Check Screws And Bolts
The more you use gym machine cables, and the heavier the load on them, the more likely something will eventually come undone.
Grab a screwdriver and wrench and regularly check that everything is secure.
Check For Signs Of Wear
Eventually, a gym cable will start to stretch under constant use and weight. And the mechanism can also cause gradual damage to the wires.
This might take a long time for your home equipment, but I would still check regularly for such issues.
Pay Attention to Strange Noises
If you start hearing clicking noises during a workout that you never heard before, then don’t ignore them.
It could be something as simple as a misaligned weight plate that you need to secure again.
But it could also be an indication of more serious wear.
Doing these exercises is supposed to help you avoid common injuries compared to working with free weights .
“The cable machine is going to force you to stay in much better control than a barbell, dumbbell or kettlebell would.”
- Lindsay Bennet, Certified Personal Trainer
Don’t Ignore Stuttering Resistance
The entire movement on a gym machine cable should be completely smooth.
That means you should feel the same resistance from start to finish during an exercise. If something doesn’t feel right, then it won’t be ideal for muscles and could lead to failure and injury.
I’ve heard many horror stories about injuries that could have been completely avoided with the right approach to maintenance and safety.
Why Are The Cables On My Cable Machine Twisted?
The cables on your machine can become twisted when there is too much slack on them. This is a very dangerous thing to encounter as they can get stuck in the pulley system and cause sudden changes in resistance.
How Do You Adjust A Cable Machine?
You adjust a cable machine by modifying the nuts and bolts on the stack. You need to do this with minor changes and adjustments at a time, as you don’t want to overdo it. This can allow you to make it more effective and safe to train.
Regularly Make Weight Stack Safety Adjustments
One of the downsides of a home gym is that you don’t have access to a maintenance team that will keep everything working smoothly. And I can’t point this out enough – you have to be careful with maintenance to ensure you train safely.
One thing you should also consider is avoiding some of the cheap exercise products out there. If you invest in a high-quality Smith Machine, you shouldn’t run into trouble.
Our team has tested many of these products and assessed the maintenance efforts and safety features so that you can make a better decision.
About The Author
You May Also Like
Which One Is Better?
29 Fitness Trainers Share Their Tips