He's the face that runs the place, and the only thing that works harder than the WWE megastar is the workout routine John Cena follows to stay in shape.
The John Cena workout routine is focused on building power through volume training and a big pump.
So what is the workout routine John Cena uses to stay in such an incredible shape? Let's take a look and find out.
- John Cena's workout examples are seated calf raises, leg presses, squats, single-leg extensions, bench presses, preacher curls, rope press downs, triceps dips, and pull-ups.
- Cena's exercises can be grouped into back workouts, shoulder workouts, arms workouts, chest workouts, and leg exercises.
- John Cena's workouts will be effective if you regularly hit the gym and adhere to a healthy diet plan.
- Cena advises anyone who tries his exercises to always start low on reps and gradually increase them with time.
What Is John Cena's Workout Routine?
Listed below is the 5 day split for John Cena's workout routine at his career peak.
He's far from past it now and works as hard as he ever did, but John Cena has said that as he has got older, his body needs a little longer to recover, and he switched the Cena workout to a 4-day split.
It’s a great example of low frequency training with larger sets and reps once a week all focused on particular muscle groups.
This has been shown to work just as effectively as high frequency training in most studies and it clearly works well for Cena .
Other workout routines:
John Cena Workout Routine
Day 1 - Legs and Calves
- Seated Calf Raise - 10 sets of 10-20 reps
- Standing Bodyweight Calf Raise - 4 sets of 25 reps
- Standing Single Leg Curl - 4 sets of 20-25 reps
- Leg Press - 5 sets of 20 reps
- Leg Extension - 4 sets of 15 reps
- Squat - 4 sets of 10 reps
- Hack Squat - 3 sets of 15 reps
- Single-Leg Extension - 3 sets of 10 reps
Day 2 - Chest
- Incline Machine Press - 3-4 sets of 20 reps
- Incline Bench Press - 3-4 sets of 20 reps
- Pec Dec - 3-4 sets of 15 reps
- Cable Crossovers - 3-4 of 15 reps
- Bench Press - 3 sets of 10 reps
Day 3 - Arms
- Preacher Curl - 5 sets of 12 reps
- Standing Barbell Curl - 3 sets of 10-12 reps
- Seated Dumbbell Curl - 3 sets of 10-12 reps
- Standing Cable Curl - 3 sets of 12 reps
- Rope Pressdown - 3 sets of 20 reps
- Single Arm Cable Pressdown - 3 sets of 10 reps
- Lying Tricep Extension - 6 sets maximum reps
- Overhead EZ Bar Extension - 3 sets of 20 reps
- Seated Barbell Tricep Extension - 3 sets of 20 reps
- Tricep Dip - 4 sets maximum reps
Day 4 - Shoulders
- Rear Delt Machine Flyes - 5 sets of 20 reps
- Machine Overhead Press - 5 sets of 20 reps
- Machine Lateral Raise - 5 sets of 20 reps
- Seated Overhead Press - 3 sets of 10 reps
- Dumbbell Lateral Raise - 3 sets of 12 reps
- Military Press - 3 sets of 10 reps
Day 5 - Back
- Lat Pull Down - 5 sets of 20 reps
- Barbell Row - 5 sets of 12-20 reps
- One Arm Dumbbell Row - 5 sets of 12-20 reps
- Deadlift - 4 sets of 8-15 reps
- High Pulls - 4 sets of 20 reps
- Pull Up - 4 sets maximum reps
- Barbell Shrug - 5 sets of 20 reps
- Crunches - 60 reps at the end of every training day
Rest and Recovery
The John Cena workout routine puts as much importance on the days off as the days on.
Cena is famous for returning to the ring from injury much quicker than any would expect, and he's well known for working more shows in a year than any WWE star before or since.
"I work out four times a week. The day I can't handle four times a week, we'll go down to three. It's not too complicated."
- John Cena
John Cena's workout routine allows the body proper recovery time before hitting the gym hard the following week.
The John Cena workout is all about pushing yourself but within reason and due respect for your capabilities.
Never Give Up
The John Cena workout routine is built upon the man's knowledge of himself, his body, and what he wants to achieve.
It has seen the young, plucky upstart who debuted in 2001 quickly rise through the ranks until he sat pretty as the face of the franchise.
"Just get in there and go. If you want to be strong, you have to do strong stuff. You have to set realistic, attainable goals. And just get in there and kick ass."
- John Cena
The workout routine John Cena has used focuses on strength training and building muscle.
He isn't going in there and working his glamour muscles, which is why many other WWE superstars consider him the strongest and most stable lifter. Even Big Show, who is a literal giant, feels safe in the ring getting lifted by Cena.
Hustle, Loyalty, Respect
There is more to life than just being the best in the ring or the gym.
Cena respects the fans and his fellow wrestlers and likes to lead by example.
Whether that be in his record for granting the most Make-A-Wish Foundation wishes or in simply tidying up after himself.
"Your mom doesn't work out here. So clean up after yourself. If you take the time to put the weights back, it shows you respect the place." John Cena
You have to respect yourself, your body, those around you, and the workout routine John Cena has designed for himself.
Know your limitations and the impact you have on the world, and you'll always be making gains.
John Cena Diet Plan
John Cena is a very big boy, and as such, he has to eat a lot to maintain and build muscle. If you take a look at John Cena's diet plan, you'll notice that the WWE superstar is eating significantly more than your average 3 square meals a day. It's a lot of calories and a superhero amount of protein.
Sample Meal Plan
- Meal 1 – Oatmeal with applesauce and raisins, 2 whole eggs, and 6 egg whites.
- Meal 2 – Protein bar.
- Meal 3 – Brown rice with vegetables and 2 chicken breasts.
- Meal 4 – Whole wheat pita bread with tuna.
- Meal 5 – Banana and a whey protein shake.
- Meal 6 – Pasta or brown rice, vegetables, salad with chicken or fish.
- Meal 7 – Low fat cottage cheese along with a casein protein shake.
Will You Try John Cena's Workout?
It's no secret that John Cena has been a polarising star in his long WWE career.
The wrestler has enjoyed as many cheers as he has boos. But no one can deny what a tireless and dedicated worker he is.
The John Cena workout routine, like the star himself, pushes your body to its limits, and while you might not be able to match the superstar athlete, it's about meeting your max and never giving up.
You can learn a lot from the John Cena workout routine and the dedication he has in the gym, the ring, and in his diet plan.
About The Author
You May Also Like
What To Eat & What Supplements To Take?
29 Fitness Trainers Share Their Tips