With four NBA championships, four MVP Awards, and two Olympic gold medals, LeBron James stands out as a remarkable player in the history of the NBA.
One thing he's done to unleash his full potential on the basketball court is diligently adhering to a rigorous regimen consisting of a strict diet, a meticulous workout routine, and a carefully curated selection of supplements.
Intrigued by his commitment to optimizing his athletic performance, I spent several months of thorough research.
Then, I teamed up with a dietitian to examine LeBron James' supplement list, shedding light on the scientific basis behind its efficacy and how it contributes to his continuous reign as a top-tier athlete.
- LeBron James' supplement stack includes plant-based protein, pre-workouts, hydration supplements, green supplements, and whey protein.
- LeBron James’ workout routine consists of jump ropes, dumbbell bench presses, standing bicep curls, one-arm dumbbell rows, leg curls, and back squats.
- James eats a balanced and nutritious diet, predominantly consisting of homemade meals prepared by his chef, heavy on protein, veggies, and fruits.
Lebron James' Supplement Stack
Supplements that James Lebron takes are plant-based protein, pre-workout supplements, hydration supplements, green supplements, and plant-based protein shakes.
1. Plant-Based Protein
James LeBron takes Ladder's 100% plant-based protein with pea protein.
This supplement was formulated by LeBron and Arnold Schwarzenegger with the help of top fitness and health experts for professional athletes.
It contains protein, including:
- Branched-based amino acids (BCAA) - Research has shown that incorporating quality BCAAs into one's supplement routine can effectively alleviate the discomfort associated with delayed onset muscle soreness .
- Essential amino acids (EAAs) - Research has demonstrated that EAAs may help support performance and prevent muscle fatigue .
- Colony forming units (CFUs) - This supplement has two billion CFUs to support protein absorption and enhance gut health .
2. Pre-Workout - Ladder Pre-workout
LeBron James uses Ladder Pre-Workout to increase his energy and improve mental focus and concentration during intense workouts.
This supplement is a mix of green tea leaf extract and the following:
- L-citrulline - Supplementing with L-citrulline may reduce fatigue and improve concentration immediately after physical activity .
- Creatine - Good creatine supplementation is proven to increase strength gains and the performance of high-intensity exercises .
- Beta-alanine - While supplementing with quality beta-alanine does not increase strength, it may delay fatigue and improve high-intensity anaerobic performance [6,7].
- L-theanine - Research has proven that l-theanine may promote mental health, decrease stress-related symptoms, and improve sleep quality problems .
- Caffeine - It may impact the central nervous system and improve how long muscles can keep going during intense exercise before getting tired by about 5 minutes .
“Because of its ability to stimulate the central nervous system, caffeine may increase metabolism by up to 11% and fat burning by up to 13%. Practically speaking, consuming 300 mg of caffeine per day may allow you to burn an extra 79 calories daily.”
- Alina Petre, Dietitian
Related Post: How Much Caffeine is in Pre-Workout?
3. Hydration Supplement
LeBron James uses Ladders’ Sport Hydration to maximize hydration and support his active lifestyle.
This supplement contains:
- Sodium - Athletes must consume 300–600 mg/h to prevent muscle cramps and hyponatremia .
- Calcium - Calcium has been scientifically proven to be vital in promoting strong and healthy bones. Additionally, it plays a crucial role in blood clotting and facilitating muscle contractions .
- Magnesium - This vital mineral is intricately involved in various essential processes such as energy metabolism, cardiorespiratory function, and muscle actions .
- Potassium - Adequate potassium supplementation may help athletes reduce muscle cramping and fatigue.
“Potassium is one of the most important minerals in the body. It helps regulate fluid balance, muscle contractions, and nerve signals. What’s more, a high-potassium diet may help reduce blood pressure and water retention, protect against stroke, and prevent osteoporosis and kidney stones.”
- Ryan Raman, Health Editor
Related Post: Best Electrolyte Supplements
4. Green Supplement
LeBron James takes Ladders’ Sport Superfood Greens containing nutrients that help keep him healthy.
Some of them are:
- Spirulina - It may increase oxygen uptake and improve exercise tolerance .
- Matcha - Regular matcha intake positively affects physical and mental health .
- Rhodiola root - It has been associated with potential benefits such as reducing oxidative stress, alleviating muscle pain and injury, enhancing skeletal muscle recovery during training, and improving explosive power in athletes .
- Vitamin D - Adequate vitamin D intake is crucial for athletes to minimize the risk of stress fractures, acute illnesses, and suboptimal muscle function .
- Zinc - Maintaining an appropriate level of zinc is crucial for elite athletes to prevent conditions such as anorexia, significant body weight loss, latent fatigue with reduced endurance, and the risk of osteoporosis .
- Vitamin B (B1, B2, B3, B6, B12) - Insufficient B vitamins can impact an individual's exercise performance. These essential vitamins play a critical role in facilitating the release of energy within the body by supporting the metabolism of fats, carbs, and proteins .
Related Post: Best Green Superfood Powders
5. Whey Protein
LeBron James takes Ladder's 100% whey protein isolate after training so that his body can use protein o muscle building.
This supplement is formulated with the following:
- Whey protein - Supplementing with whey protein enhances anabolism and improves recovery after intense workouts .
- Tart cherry - Research has demonstrated that tart cherry positively impacts endurance exercise performance due to its anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidative capacity and blood flow-enhancing effects .
“Tart cherry juice may interact with some medications. For example, medications used to control blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Speak to your healthcare provider if you are concerned about medication interactions with tart cherry juice.”
- Kathleen M. Zelman, Nutrition Expert
- Age: 38
- Height: 2.06 m
- Weight: 113 kg
- Waist: 36 inches
- Chest: 46 inches
His Workout Routine
Lebron James works out seven days a week, playing basketball every single day.
- Incline dumbbell bench presses - 3x10
- One-arm dumbbell military presses - 3x10
- Wide-grip lat pulldowns - 3x10
- One-arm dumbbell rows - 3x10
- Spin training - 30 minutes to an hour
- Yoga or plyometric exercises (lunges, push-ups, step climbing, skipping, jump squats, and push-ups hops) - 30 minutes to an hour
- Barbell deadlift - 4x12
- Chin-ups - 4x12
- Standing bicep curls - 4x12
- Babell bent-over rows - 4x12
- Wide grip pull-ups - 4x12
- Wide grip push-ups - 4x12
On Thursdays, LeBron repeats his routine on Tuesdays (yoga/plyometrics and spin).
- Leg press - 4x12
- Calf raises - 4x12
- Back squat - 4x12
- Jumping lunges - 4x12
- Box jumps - 4x12
- Weighted jumps - 4x12
- LeBron dedicates Saturdays to yoga/plyometrics and spin.
During the off-season, LeBron designates Sundays as his rest days, prioritizing adequate hydration.
On this particular day, he places special emphasis on maintaining optimal hydration levels.
Additionally, he uses a cryotherapy chamber and hyperbaric chamber as part of his recovery routine, aiding his body in recuperating from the demands of the previous week.
“I have trained my body to excellence. I push it as hard as I can and rely on science to make sure I let no stone unturned in maximizing what I can do.”
- James LeBron, Basketball Player
His Diet Plan
LeBron follows a meticulously designed diet plan that contributes to his success.
His dietary choices prioritize whole foods, ensuring he nourishes his body with the proper nutrients for optimal performance.
Here is a breakdown of LeBron James' robust diet plan:
- Breakfast - Egg sandwich, avocado, whole-grain muffin, fruit, and low-fat Greek yogurt smoothie. This combination provides a balanced mix of protein, healthy fats, complex carbohydrates, and essential vitamins.
- Snack - LeBron incorporates a protein shake as a mid-morning snack. This helps repair and rebuild his muscles while providing a convenient and easily digestible source of protein.
- Lunch - LeBron typically eats chicken breast, pasta, and superfood greens for his midday meal. This selection offers a quality protein source, energizing carbohydrates, and a variety of essential nutrients from nutrient-dense greens.
- Snack - LeBron stays fueled throughout the day by snacking fruits or taking vitamins. These choices provide him with additional vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants to support his health and well-being.
- Dinner - LeBron opts for salmon, vegetables, quinoa, and olive oil. His dinner plate often features salmon, vegetables, quinoa, and olive oil. Salmon is a good source of protein, while vegetables and quinoa provide fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
- Late-night snack - His late-night snack consists of a veggie omelet and turkey bacon. This combination offers a satisfying and protein-rich option while keeping the intake of high-fat foods in check.
Can You Train Like LeBron James?
If you aspire to model your routine after LeBron James, there are certain aspects you can certainly emulate, such as his diet, supplement stack, and workout regimen.
While nutrition and training are most important, incorporating quality supplements can also be beneficial.
While you may not achieve the same level of athleticism as LeBron, it is worth paying attention to his approach.
If your goal is to build muscle and strength like him, you may also consider trying one of the proven pre-workout supplements listed below:
Drawing from our expertise, these supplements can enhance your energy levels, boost endurance, and assist you in pushing through your limits.
About The Author
You May Also Like