while he was fit and toned as a 19-year old, he got seriously bulked for the TV show Vikings.
Many of our younger clients and followers have asked us to come up with a weightlifting routine that would bulk them up into a shape suitable for Vikings, so we had to take a closer look.
The good news is that we were able to get enough information from interviews and social media about his workout routines to give you a full Vikings workout plan.
- Born: May 7, 1992
- Height: 6’2”
- Weight: 195 lbs
Check out some images on Pinterest and compare his appearance as he got increasingly more ripped for Lone Survivor and then to play Bjorn Ironside, the Viking with superhero status.
View this post on Instagram
We noted the first big change in his appearance for his Navy Seal role in Lone Survivor, but it was Vikings that really brought on a big change.
A lot of the work he had to do for that character involved not just lifting heavy weights but also extensive fight training with ancient weapons like swords and axes.
It certainly paid off, so let’s see how he did it.
Alexander Ludwig's Workout Routine
Alexander Ludwig has worked with several trainers to come up with a workout routine deserving of the Viking character he plays so well.
Here’s what you’ll need to do to get the most out of every training session.
Monday: Chest and Arms
You’ll want to aim for something a bit heavier as the last two reps should be a real struggle.
- Bench press (3 sets of 10 reps)
- Skull crushers (3 sets of 10 reps)
- Incline dumbbell press (3 sets of 10 reps)
- Triceps extensions (3 sets of 10 reps)
- Chest Flys (3 sets of 10 reps)
- Weighted dips (3 sets of 10 reps)
Tuesday: Cardio and Abs
He approaches these like a HIIT training circuit doing one set of each and completing at least three circuits.
- 30 minutes running, cycling, or rowing
- Dumbbell burpees (3 sets to failure)
- Bicycle crunch (3 sets to failure)
- V-ups (3 sets to failure)
- Reverse crunch (3 sets to failure)
Wednesday: Back and Arms
Make sure you keep the movement to a slower pace, as the longer you keep your muscles under tension, the better the bulking effect will be.
- Weighted chin-ups (3 sets of 15 reps)
- Preacher curls (3 sets of 10 reps)
- Lat pulldown (3 sets of 10 reps)
- Deadlift (3 sets of 10 reps)
- Dumbbell rows (3 sets of 10 reps)
- Hammer curls (3 sets of 10 reps)
Thursday: Cardio and Abs
Here’s another one of those days that will cause some pain for your abs, but the results of the workout will be worth it.
- 30 minutes running, cycling, or rowing
- Regular abs crunch (3 sets to failure)
- Side crunch (3 sets to failure)
- Leg raises (3 sets to failure)
Friday: Shoulders and Legs
This final day is all about shoulder and leg exercises.
- Military press (3 sets of 10 reps)
- Squats (3 sets of 10 reps)
- Leg Press (3 sets of 10 reps)
- Lateral Raises (3 sets of 10 reps)
- Hamstring curls (3 sets of 10 reps)
- Dumbbell shrugs (3 sets of 10 reps)
While these are rest days, try to go for a few walks to keep your muscles loose and encourage faster recovery.
“I am always working out, whether I am on vacation or at home. When in La Jolla, I like to surf, play tennis, and golf - but surfing is definitely my favorite.” - Alexander Ludwig.
Alexander Ludwig’s Diet Plan
Along with a strict workout routine, Alexander pays close attention to his diet. Not surprisingly, this means focusing on his macros and calorie intake. But that doesn’t mean that he starves himself like an extra in The Hunger Games.
His approach is simple enough, and he doesn’t overthink it.
That means avoiding junk food and sugary treats and keeping his calorie intake to a slight deficit when he’s not in a bulking phase for a specific movie role.
Sample Meal Plan:
Here’s what a typical day would look like.
- Breakfast - 5 egg omelet
- Snack - Fresh berries with greek yogurt, Cup of unsalted nuts
- Lunch - Fish or skinless chicken breast, Large portion of green vegetables
- Snack - Post-workout recovery shake
- Dinner - Lean meat, Brown rice or sweet potato, Bowl of salad
- Snack - Protein shake or bar
What Supplements Does He Take?
The Hollywood actor aims to get as much nutritional value from his diet, but there are a few supplements that he relies on for a more effective workout routine.
1. Whey Protein
We’ve estimated that with the above routine, Alexander will probably take at least two whey protein shakes a day. Whey is ideal for all athletes as it contains the right amino acid profile to give your muscle tissue the boost for more effective protein synthesis .
Are You Going to Try Ludwig's Workout & Diet?
Your father doesn’t have to be a legendary Viking to train like Alexander Ludwig, and you don’t need a Hollywood support system of dietitians and fitness coaches to achieve that kind of appearance.
With the above training routine, you’ll start to see some significant changes in your physique within just a few months.
And because the diet doesn’t overcomplicate life either, there really shouldn’t be any reason not to get started today.