Anybody who hears that a guy over 50 who’s not a pro athlete:
- runs over 22 miles daily and a full marathon a few times a week,
- lifts heavyweight an hour per day, and
- practices bow hunting with an 80-pound compound bow,
all that without a single day off in his training schedule (let alone his full-time job and three kids), can’t help wondering what’s his secret.
Many people may feel like the guy isn’t from this planet.
Here’s a guide with all the details about Cameron Hanes’ workout routine, nutrition and training tips, lifestyle principles for facing challenges, diet plan, and supplements he uses to achieve such success.
Fasten your seatbelts.
Who Is Cameron Hanes?
Cameron Hanes is an entrepreneur, author, and trained athlete with a passion for running, weightlifting, bowhunting, and archery.
Besides being an experienced backcountry bowhunter, hiker, marathon, and ultramarathon runner, Cam is also known as the “Lance Armstrong of Bowhunting.”
Hanes has been sharing his passion for bowhunting by writing for sports magazines, his best-selling book Backcountry Bowhunting, and appearing in TV shows.
He’s also made a well-known brand of supplement, gadget, and apparel products for people who share his passion for bowhunting and endurance sports.
Hanes’ fan base on his social media profiles is vast (over a million on one of his social media accounts only), which speaks enough about his Internet status.
- Height: 5ft9in
- Weight: around 165lbs
- Body fat: 7%
- Born: 1967
- Hometown: Eugene, Oregon (Track Town)
- Instagram followers: 1.1m
- Facebook followers: over 404k
- Twitter followers: 52.2k
His Workout Principles
Cam Hanes can thank his diligence and strenuous exercise routine for his awe-inspiring agility, fitness level, and lean, muscular physique with a super low body fat percentage.
That’s why he always emphasizes the importance of regular training:
“Through physical conditioning, you can build your body and mind to prepare not only for hunting but for any challenge you may face throughout your lifetime.” -Cameron Hanes
On the way towards his fitness goals, Hanes prefers to overtrain rather than undertrain as he loves feeling exhausted.
Still, his daily workout schedule isn’t strictly fixed but full of variety and enjoyment.
Cam recommends starting with long, convenient workouts (45+ minutes) 3-4 days/week, then, focus on a hard, fast-paced workout for a single day.
He always tries to include his family members in his daily exercise routine and advises all the people following him to do so.
For Hanes, a workout is 25 percent perspiration and 75 percent determination. 
He believes it’s all about hard work and there are no shortcuts to success and says that you can’t know what success is unless you fail first.
Hanes’ mottos “Nobody Cares. Work Harder.” and “Keep Hammering.” are even printed on the products he sells to the fans via his website (e.g., a hat, T-shirt, or belt buckle).
Here are some fitness and lifestyle tips Cam Hanes shares with his fans:
- Stick to your dreams as your mind is the only thing holding you back from achieving them.
- Set realistic goals.
- Always strive to ramp it up as it’s all about smart and hard work.
- Live in the present.
- Stay consistent, persistent, and disciplined in everything you do.
- Don’t complain. Focus on the positive facts, thoughts, and self-talk instead. Find a community of like-minded people and follow someone famous who can support and motivate you to get tougher and more successful. 
- Get a lot of protein for better performance and bigger and stronger muscles.
- Get proper sleep and recovery.
Cameron Hanes Workout Routine
Even though he’s not a professional athlete and has a full-time job and a big family, Cameron Hanes’ exercise regimen is rigorous. He calls it a “Lift. Run. Shoot.” lifestyle, so it’s pretty self-explanatory what it involves.
Hanes runs at least 10 miles two or three times a day (in total, 1-2 hours every day).
Cameron Hanes starts every morning with a 5–20-mile run on a 1,531-foot mountain top near his home. He also spends his lunch break mountain running. He’s a runner and ultrarunner for a reason - he has run marathons and ultramarathons many times in his life.
After running, Cam Hanes goes to the gym for a full-body weightlifting session (45-60 minutes per day) to increase his muscle size and strength, stay lean, and prevent injuries.
His sample workout in the weight room may look like this:
- Bench press - 3 sets of 10 reps
- Kettlebell swings - three 30-second sets
- One-minute rest
- Squats - 3 sets of 10-15 reps
- Power cleans - 3 sets of 10 reps
- One-minute rest
- Dumbbell incline press - 2 sets of 10 reps
- Diamond push-ups - two 30-second sets
- Overhand pull-ups - 2 sets of max. reps
- One-minute rest
- One-leg lunges with dumbbells (25lbs/leg) - 2 sets of 20 reps per side
- Burpees with push-ups - 2 sets of 10 reps
- Plank - two 30-second sets
The third part of his daily workout routine is bow practice for the game season.
He practices shooting his crossbow to prepare for the competition in the hunting season. Bowhunting requires exceptional physical conditioning and fitness.
His hunting style is called backcountry hunting. He packs his backpack with the essentials for one week and goes hiking at least 10 miles in the mountains.
When he’s caught an animal, which can weigh over 300lbs, Hanes loads his backpack with the carcass and carries it back home.
In the off-season, the hunting training Cameron does includes a simulation of this challenge - carrying a 130-pound rock up and down the mountain - to test and enhance his physical and mental strength.
View this post on Instagram
“Through physical conditioning you can build your mind and body to prepare not only for hunting but for any challenge you may face throughout your lifetime. During the off-season, I really start emphasizing getting into over-the-top “bowhunting shape,” so I usually hit numerous trail runs and adventure races as well as the relatively tame typical 10K’s and the like.” -Cameron Hanes
Cameron Hanes Diet
Cameron Hanes follows the Dolce Diet meal plan created by an MMA fighter Mike Dolce to safely maximize muscle gains and fat loss without feeling weakness, tiredness, or hunger.
Cam claims this diet is ideal for him because it has yielded some excellent results, such as increased performance during his daily grueling training sessions.
It involves eliminating junk food and consuming organic food, lean protein, fresh veggies, and fruits that will rev up your metabolism.
Cameron Hanes breaks the night fast, starting every day with a protein drink.
Then, he eats a big breakfast that typically consists of a whole-grain English muffin, some oat bran, almond butter, chia, and hemp seeds.
Hanes consumes plenty of protein (around 200g/day), complex carbs, and healthy fats to keep his muscle mass and high energy level throughout the day because he burns a lot of it running at least 10 miles, lifting weights, and hunting.
Not only does Hanes hunt for sport, but his family eats all the organic wild game animals’ meat he catches.
He also drinks lots of water to stay hydrated.
Cameron Hanes consumes:
- Wild-caught fish
- Wild-caught game
- Whole-grain bread
- Oat bran
- Chia seeds
- Hemp seeds
- Almond butter
- Protein shakes
Hanes avoids consuming:
- Processed foods
- Junk food
- Simple sugars
- Meat wrapped in plastic
- Artificial additives
Sample Meal Plan
To avoid feeling bloated and always ensure sufficient energy stores, Cameron Hanes eats smaller meals every 2-4 hours.
- Meal 1: MTN OPS whey protein shake (2 scoops) with mixed nuts, a handful of blueberries, or a banana
- Meal 2: 4 eggs, 2 pieces of whole-wheat toast with butter
- Meal 3: 6oz of chicken breasts, bread, pasta, marinara sauce
- Meal 4: turkey sandwich on whole-wheat bread
- Meal 5: 2tbsp of peanut butter, an apple
- Meal 6: 6oz of steak, broccoli, one sweet potato
What Supplements Does He Take?
Cameron Hanes has developed his own supplement series - the MTN OPS Keep Hammering supplements.
As Hanes says, this supplement line is designed as a “Bare Bone Basic” to provide the body with the necessary fuel before, during, and after workouts so that you can train harder and recover faster, or in his words to #KeepHammering. 
The supplements Cam Hanes takes for various purposes every day include:
- Whey Protein - with 23g of protein and 1.5g of glutamine for building and preserving muscle mass
- Pre-Workout with Creatine and L-citrulline - to keep energy for strenuous workouts
- BCAA - containing the 2:1:1 ratio of leucine, isoleucine, and valine to enhance muscle building and recovery time
- Multivitamin - with elderberry to provide all the necessary nutrients and immune system boost
- Energy Drink - to increase mental capacity, focus, and clarity, and enhance performance and recovery
- Nitric Oxide - to give your body caffeine-free cardio, endurance, and performance improvement, and adequate hydration during intense exercises
- Energy-Boosting Fat Burner - with natural ingredients, including green tea extract, cayenne pepper, African mango, and raspberry ketone
High Altitude and Respiratory Support Supplement - to help those who train under extreme conditions breathe easier, relax more, resist stress and fatigue.
Are You Going To Try Cameron Hanes Workout Routine?
As you can see from all the information we’ve gathered about Cameron Hanes’ bow hunting lifestyle, nutrition, and fitness routine, his success, appearance, and health aren’t a result of pure luck and talent only.
It’s all a perfect mix of a massive amount of his hard work, commitment, discipline, consistency, toughness, determination, and positive attitude.
So, everyone who’d like to replicate his success will need to adopt his positive mindset, healthy, balanced nutrition, and strenuous daily workout regimen.
Do you think you could do it?