People have used ginger in medicine and cooking since the earliest times. Not only is it a great addition to many foods, but it’s also known for treating many ailments.
Recently, I happened to overhear a conversation on ginger and testosterone. Thinking that this topic was due for a while, I decided to do some research.
I teamed up with a dietician friend, and we sifted through tons of research on the many benefits of dietary ginger — namely, its supposed ability to increase the primary sex hormone testosterone.
Here’s what we found.
- Ginger can naturally boost testosterone levels by increasing luteinizing hormone production, enhancing nitric oxide production, and promoting blood flow to the testes.
- Some other benefits of ginger include enhancing male sexual function, increasing blood flow, and reducing body weight.
- Daily ginger supplementation for three months increased men's testosterone levels by 17%.
- Personally, I find ginger to be an intriguing and natural alternative for those exploring ways to enhance testosterone and overall health. If ginger is already part of your diet, we highly recommend adding natural testosterone boosters for an added effect.
What’s the Connection Between Ginger and Testosterone?
The connection between ginger and the male sex hormone testosterone has to do with ginger’s medicinal value and natural testosterone-boosting abilities.
Studies show consuming ginger extract may boost testosterone levels; however, these effects were only found in mice.
Various studies have measured testicular weight as a strong indicator of high t-levels.
In one study, male rats supplemented with ginger root or extract for a week had higher testicular weight than the corresponding control group .
While it’s hard to replicate the same results in humans, one study showed that daily ginger supplementation for three months increased testosterone levels by 17% in men .
“Ginger consumption increases LH (Luteinizing hormone) production. It mitigates cholesterol levels in the testes and reduces oxidative stress. Consuming ginger also helps blood circulation, a key component in healthy male function.”
- Dr. Ahmed Zayed, MD, Founder of Zayed MD
How Does Ginger Increase Testosterone Production?
Here are ginger’s fundamental testosterone-boosting mechanisms:
- Increasing cholesterol levels in the testes: Healthy cholesterol levels indicate fertility .
- Reducing oxidative stress and lipid peroxidation in the testes: The National Library of Medicine explains that both correlate with increasing testosterone levels .
- Normalizing blood glucose levels: Bioscientifica says low testosterone is associated with irregular blood glucose levels .
- Enhancing nitric oxide production: The production of nitric oxide leads to enhanced testosterone production .
- Increasing blood flow to the Leydig cells: According to ScienceDirect, Leydig cells in the testes are responsible for the production of testosterone .
- Increasing testicular weight: While human studies were done on this, these results were found in studies on rats.
While it enhances testosterone production, daily ginger consumption carries many benefits .
Here are some of the most commonly known ones:
- Reducing gas and improving digestion
- Immune system support
- Nausea relief
- Anti-inflammatory properties
- Pain relief
- Improved cardiovascular health
- Lower risk of cancer
Some Recipes To Make It Palatable
If you're not a fan of plain ginger, try these simple recipes to enjoy its benefits deliciously:
- Ginger tea: This is one of the easiest recipes to make. Strain some grated ginger into your daily cup of tea.
- Soup: You can add slices of ginger to any soup for flavor.
- Ginger candy: You can make this at home or buy it from a local store.
- Ginger with honey: Mixing honey with ginger adds a sweetness that makes it more palatable.
- Ginger lemonade: You can add ginger to your lemonade for enhanced flavor and the added benefits of ginger.
- Pickled ginger: This recipe is simple, easy to make, and can last for days.
Related: Best Ginger Supplements
Can Eating Too Much Ginger Lower Your Testosterone Levels?
There’s no research that shows whether eating too much ginger can lower your testosterone levels. But overeating ginger can lead to gas, mouth irritation, heartburn, stomach problems, and skin rashes.
How Often Should You Eat Ginger to Maintain High Levels of Testosterone Levels?
You should eat ginger every day to maintain high levels of testosterone. Research shows that eating 600 mg of ginger per kilogram of body weight could enhance testosterone synthesis .
About The Author
You May Also Like