In my long career as a fitness coach, many ex-clients I coached years ago asked me about the best ways to burn stomach fat without equipment so they can stay fit at home.
I know belly fat can be stubborn, which is why regular cardio may not be good enough, so you need to attack it from underneath the muscle tissue as well.
I've decided to share some of the methods I studied that proved to be quite effective in the experience of some of my colleagues and me.
Let’s dive in.
- Dieting and doing equipment-free exercises such as planks and dead bug workouts can help you lose belly fat.
- It may take about 1-2 months of regular exercise and dieting before you start seeing a flatter stomach.
- The dead bug is one of the most complicated yet effective gear-free abdominal workouts out there.
How Do You Lose Belly Fat Without Equipment?
You lose belly fat without equipment by first creating a calorie deficit, which means limiting your calorie intake and combining it with workouts such as planks, sit-ups, and dead bugs to expend more energy than you consume.
Some gear-free workouts are as efficient, if not better, than exercises done with equipment or at the gym.
And when they’re coupled with a calorie deficit diet, losing belly fat is much easier.
The cool part about trying to lose visceral fat (fat around internal organs) without gym gear is that you can perform these workouts anywhere.
As you will see, the workouts mentioned below will teach you how to use your body weight to build lean muscle and lose fat simultaneously.
Now, let's get into the crux of it.
4 Equipment-Free Exercises for Shedding Stomach Fat
While exercises cannot target fat loss, planks, sit-ups, dead bugs, and side planks are examples of equipment-free workouts that can help you burn fat throughout the body, which includes belly fat.
They can also help you contour the muscles underneath the fat, which can help you appear slimmer, fitter, and more attractive.
We’ll examine these exercises in detail in a short while but before that, take a quick 10-minute warm-up before commencing these workouts to lose weight.
Warmups increase blood flow and muscle temperature to reduce the risk of injury to the muscles and tendons and improve performance .
“Warm up for 10 minutes before starting these exercises. After your muscles are warmed up, take a 10-second break.”
- Charushila Biswas, Physical Exercise Therapist
With that out of the way, let's begin.
The plank workout is one of the simplest yet most effective ab workouts to burn belly fat and strengthen your abdominal muscles.
It engages the core muscles for an extended period by simply maintaining the push-up position .
Here’s how to do it:
- Start in a plank position with your face down and with your legs extended across the floor. Your elbows should be on the floor and directly below your shoulders. Your arms should also be parallel to each other at shoulder length.
- Now engage your core while keeping your torso and legs in a straight line rigidly with no bending.
- Try to hold on for at least a minute before resting for 10 seconds. You can go on for as long as you can; the longer you hold, the more fat you burn.
2. Side Plank
The side plank exercise is a variation of the plank and is equally effective in burning fat overall, which also includes “love handles” to achieve a toned flat belly.
Side planks strengthen the oblique abdominal muscles, which are mostly forgotten when exercising. The exercise is also helpful in core stabilization .
Here’s how to do it:
- Lie on your left side with both legs extended from your hip to your legs. Your left elbow should be on the floor and directly under your shoulder. Your head, spine, and legs should also be on the same line.
- Now, lift your hips and knees to a certain degree as you engage your abdominal muscles.
- Once up, hold on for as long as you can before returning to your initial position.
- Do the same to your right side.
Related: Do Planks Burn Fat?
Sit-up is the most common exercise for ab muscles. It tests endurance by targeting core muscles.
Here’s how to do it:
- Lie with your torso flat on the ground, but knees bent to a degree and feet soles flat on the floor. You can have a partner hold down your feet.
- Put your arms over your chest with your right hand on your left shoulder and your left over the right arm.
- While the core is fully engaged, use your ab muscle to lift yourself from the ground.
- Once up, lower yourself to the starting position and re-engage your core again for another rep.
Related: Do Sit-Ups Burn Belly Fat?
4. Dead Bug
The dead bug is a fun exercise that stabilizes the back muscles.
Here’s how to do it:
- Lie face up on a mat or floor and lift to extend your arms over your shoulders. Lift your legs from the ground so that your torso and thighs are at a 90-degree angle and your lower legs also at a right angle with your thighs.
- With your left arm and right leg at a constant position, reach your right hand back as you extend your left leg forward.
- Now return your limbs to your starting position and do the same on the opposite side with your right arm and other leg.
Some other great gear-free exercises include the burpee and bicycle crunches.
Burn Visceral Fat With the Right Diet
You need to supplement these workouts with a proper diet to burn visceral fat maximally.
There are foods you should add to this regimen and others you should avoid altogether.
It's pretty obvious that sugar is a no-go zone. Besides adding more calories, it's harmful to your metabolic health and should be avoided at all costs .
Also, limit carb intake altogether if you want to get rid of tummy fat. Studies have shown that low-carb diets help reduce fat in the abdomen, liver, and other organs .
Consider adding soluble fiber foods such as avocados, flax seeds, blackberries, and legumes to your diet. Studies have found them particularly helpful in helping get rid of visceral fat .
How Long Does Belly Fat Take To Burn Off?
It takes about 1-2 months for belly fat to burn off. But that may depend on your efforts in exercising consistently and consuming a proper diet. In that case, you may lose 1-2 pounds in a week which is the recommended healthy weight loss as per the CDC .
Can You Get a Flat Stomach Without the Gym?
Yes, you can get a flat stomach without the gym. Exercises such as planks and sit-ups can be done at home. Eating mindfully, jogging, sleeping 7-9 hours, and staying hydrated can also help you lose body fat without the need for any equipment.
Combine Diet and Exercise for Effective Weight Loss
You don't need gym gear for the plank, dead bug, or sit-up workout to shred the fat. All you need is a proper diet that complements your workout efforts.
I also advise my clients to try out fat burner supplements that speed up the fat-burning process even further.
We’ve thoroughly tested all the products on these lists, and both our testing data and client reports show that they are effective in fast-tracking fat loss and making the process noticeably easier.
About The Author
You May Also Like
29 Fitness Trainers Share Their Tips
Which One Is Better?
What To Eat & What Supplements To Take?