Fat upper pubic area, commonly called FUPA, is the excess fat accumulated above the pubic bone, and it’s not something most people like having on them.
A lot of sources out there will tell you that you can spot-remove groin fat, but unfortunately, that’s not possible. However, there are some ways to get rid of it.
As a professional sportsman for over a decade, I’ve seen a number of people who struggled with fat loss, especially around their groin.
In this article, I’ll explain why people tend to accumulate groin fat and share some advice on how to take care of that region.
- To effectively reduce groin fat, it's advocated to adopt a holistic approach by engaging in a healthy diet, cardio, weight training, and considering nonsurgical fat reduction procedures.
- Cardio and weight training, including exercises like planks and burpees, can help build muscle mass in the groin region, giving it a toned appearance.
- Stress, alongside genetic factors and age-related changes such as menopause, is identified as a significant contributor to groin fat accumulation, underlining the multifaceted nature of this common concern, according to the study published in PubMed Central.
- Personally, the most effective strategy for dealing with groin fat involves overall weight loss through a clean diet and consistent exercise, with the option of using natural fat burners to aid the process.
Best Ways to Lose Fat Around the Groin
From my personal experience, the best way to lose excess fat around the groin is to aim for an overall body fat reduction.
When I incorporated a mix of cardio and strength training, I noticed a significant reduction in my groin fat over time.
Carrying excess fat in the groin area can sometimes bring about emotional distress. It's essential to address the psychological aspects of this journey, offering a supportive environment and actionable advice to keep morale high as you work towards your goal.
Here are some tried and tested methods that can help you achieve that.
A healthy diet is crucial for activating fat-burning hormones. Begin by counting your daily calories and creating a calorie deficit by eliminating extra calories and unhealthy foods.
The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition recommends eating a protein-rich diet low in saturated fat because it can satiate you with fewer calories .
A study published by Johns Hopkins University recommends drinking plenty of water in the morning and before meals to speed up your metabolism and avoid weight gain .
Cardio and Weight Training
Cardio and weight training for fat loss are tried and tested methods of losing weight efficiently.
Doing at least 30 minutes of cardio a day can help you lose weight in a well-paced manner.
Adding weights into the picture can help you build muscle mass in the groin region, which will give it a toned and fat-free look.
Nonsurgical Fat Reduction
Nonsurgical procedures like heat therapy and radio frequencies can target fat cells in the upper pubic area, although they require multiple appointments and results may vary.
Safe and Effective Exercises
Although it’s impossible to target groin fat with exercise, you can still strengthen and build muscle mass in this area.
As I consistently engaged in targeted exercises, I noticed my groin area becoming more muscular and toned, enhancing my overall physique.
It's crucial to note that men and women might require different sets of exercises due to their distinct anatomical structures.
Here is a list of safe and effective lower abdomen exercises to tighten and strengthen your groin:
- Bicycle crunches: This exercise is a safe way to build and strengthen your lower core muscles without putting too much strain on the back.
- Leg raises: Leg raises build core strength while also tightening your groin.
- Supermans: Supermans work your deep ab muscles and lower back.
- Plank: The plank is a great body composition exercise that works and tightens your core muscles. It significantly strengthens your inner core, giving your better stability and balance.
- Burpees: Burpees are a full-body workout that are considered to be one of the best cardio workouts for weight loss.
- The hundred: This classic Pilates exercise will give your deep core muscles an excellent workout.
- Bridges: This exercise works as good post-recovery for women who've had a cesarean or vaginal delivery because it engages the abdomen without putting pressure on it.
I also highly recommend using natural fat burners to speed up your fat loss:
Related: How Does The Body Burn Fat?
How Does It Accumulate?
I observed that during periods of inactivity and consuming extra calories, the fat around my groin area seemed to accumulate more. It was a clear signal for me to get moving and adjust my diet.
However, there are other factors that play a role:
- Age: Certain age-related changes like menopause can lead to changes in body fat distribution and could potentially contribute to fat gain in the groin .
- Genetic factors: Certain genetic factors that contribute to increased body weight can affect fat distribution to the groin.
- Stress: Some studies suggest that stress can lead you to gain groin and belly fat .
Groin Fat vs. Excess Skin
In case of one of my colleagues, after shedding the excess fat, he too confused extra skin with remaining fat. It was a learning curve to understand the difference and explore surgical options to deal with the excess skin.
This is also commonly seen in women after pregnancy.
Exercise won’t alleviate this because working out doesn’t tighten loose skin after losing weight. Cases like this require surgical intervention.
If you have loose skin around your groin (or even fat), a few surgical procedures could help you out.
- Liposuction: This is the most popular cosmetic surgery for fat removal from under the skin.
- Monoplasty: Also called a pubic lift, this procedure removes fat and extra skin from the pubic area.
- Abdominoplasty: Commonly known as a tummy tuck, this procedure restores weakened muscles and removes extra skin and fat from the groin.
“It was in the 1980s that liposuction or ‘suction assisted lipectomy’ became an important and popular method of body contouring.”
- Dr. Gayatri Krishnan, MD, Anesthesiologist
Can Running Reduce Groin Fat?
Yes, running and other forms of cardio can reduce groin fat. Although no exercise directly targets fat in the groin, it can still help you lose weight overall.
Are Surgical Procedures for Groin Fat Removal Safe?
Yes, surgical procedures for groin fat removal can be safe. However, consult a physician to ensure you don’t have any pre-existing conditions that could affect you after the surgery.
About The Author
You May Also Like