Fat upper pubic area, commonly called FUPA, is the excess fat accumulated above the pubic bone, and it’s not something most people like having on them.
A lot of sources out there will tell you that you can spot-remove groin fat, but unfortunately, that’s not possible. However, there are some ways to get rid of it.
As a fitness trainer for over a decade, I’ve helped a number of clients who struggled with fat loss, especially around their groin.
In this article, I’ll explain why people tend to accumulate groin fat and share some advice on how to take care of that region.
- Weight loss around the groin cannot be spot-removed, but it can be burned by focusing on overall fat loss.
- Childbirth, aging, quick weight loss, and genetics can contribute to the accumulation of body fat around the groin.
- You can tone your groin area by exercising the lower abdominal muscles.
Best Ways to Lose Fat Around the Groin
The best way to lose excess fat around the groin is to lose it all over the body. Here are some tried and tested methods that can help you achieve that.
Eating healthy is one of the most critical steps you need to activate your fat-burning hormones to get rid of groin fat.
To start, count how many calories you consume every day. Based on that, go on a calorie deficit by cutting out extra calories and unhealthy foods.
Eat a protein-rich diet low in saturated fat because it can satiate you with fewer calories . Drink plenty of water in the morning and before meals to speed up your metabolism and avoid weight gain .
Cardio and Weight Training
Cardio and weight training for fat loss are tried and tested methods of losing weight efficiently.
Doing at least 30 minutes of cardio a day can help you lose weight in a well-paced manner.
Adding weights into the picture can help you build muscle mass in the groin region, which will give it a toned and fat-free look.
Nonsurgical Fat Reduction
Nonsurgical procedures like heat therapy and radio frequencies may shrink or melt fat cells in the upper pubic area. But they can be extremely time-consuming.
They take multiple appointments, and the results are not always noticeable. However, these procedures aren't known to have any major side effects.
Safe and Effective Exercises
Although it’s impossible to target groin fat with exercise, you can still strengthen and build muscle mass in this area.
A more muscular groin will give it a toned and fat-free look.
Here is a list of safe and effective lower abdomen exercises to tighten and strengthen your groin:
- Bicycle Crunches: This exercise is a safe way to build and strengthen your lower core muscles without putting too much strain on the back.
- Leg Raises: Leg raises build core strength while also tightening your groin.
- Supermans: Supermans work your deep ab muscles and lower back.
- Plank: The plank is a great body composition exercise that works and tightens your core muscles. It significantly strengthens your inner core, giving your better stability and balance.
- Burpees: Burpees are a full-body workout that are considered to be one of the best cardio workouts for weight loss.
- The Hundred: This classic Pilates exercise will give your deep core muscles an excellent workout.
- Bridges: This exercise works as good post-recovery for women who've had a cesarean or vaginal delivery because it engages the abdomen without putting pressure on it.
Related: How Does The Body Burn Fat?
How Does It Accumulate?
Groin fat usually accumulates due to weight gain from extra calories and inactivity.
However, there are other factors that play a role:
- Age: Certain age-related changes like menopause can lead to changes in body fat distribution and could potentially contribute to fat gain in the groin .
- Genetic factors: Certain genetic factors that contribute to increased body weight can affect fat distribution to the groin.
- Stress: Some studies suggest that stress can lead you to gain groin and belly fat .
Groin Fat vs. Excess Skin
Sometimes it’s easy to confuse extra skin with fat. I’ve observed people who’ve experienced rapid weight loss end up with extra skin that looks like body fat. This is also commonly seen in women after pregnancy.
Exercise won’t alleviate this because working out doesn’t tighten loose skin after losing weight. Cases like this require surgical intervention.
If you have loose skin around your groin (or even fat), a few surgical procedures could help you out.
- Liposuction: This is the most popular cosmetic surgery for fat removal from under the skin.
- Monoplasty: Also called a pubic lift, this procedure removes fat and extra skin from the pubic area.
- Abdominoplasty: Commonly known as a tummy tuck, this procedure restores weakened muscles and removes extra skin and fat from the groin.
“It was in the 1980s that liposuction or ‘suction assisted lipectomy’ became an important and popular method of body contouring.”
- Dr. Gayatri Krishnan, MD, Anesthesiologist
Can Running Reduce Groin Fat?
Yes, running and other forms of cardio can reduce groin fat. Although no exercise directly targets fat in the groin, it can still help you lose weight overall.
Are Surgical Procedures for Groin Fat Removal Safe?
Yes, surgical procedures for groin fat removal can be safe. However, consult a physician to ensure you don’t have any pre-existing conditions that could affect you after the surgery.
Best Way to Deal With Groin Fat
The best way to get rid of groin fat is to lose weight throughout your body by eating a clean diet and sticking to a consistent exercise routine.
Doing all this to lose fat can be pretty challenging, which is why I highly recommend using natural fat burners to speed up your fat loss:
Our clients have used these products and experienced incredible results. It helped them reduce fat storage, curb cravings, and boost metabolism and fat burning.
They’re not magic pills, but they’ll help you effectively shed fat at a safe pace.
About The Author
You May Also Like