Cognitive function and brain health should be a high priority for everyone.
And while diet can provide great improvements, there are some dietary mushroom supplements that are proving to be critical for healthy brain cells.
Such nootropic mushrooms have been around for a while, and some ingredients have been common in traditional Chinese medicine for centuries.
So, we decided to team up with a nutritionist and nootropics expert, as well as 27 clients, to research and test the most popular supplements.
After weeks of control tests and careful analysis, we now have a list to share with you.
Our Top Medicinal Mushrooms (January 2023)
1 - Nootropics Depot Lion’s Mane Mushroom (Editor's Choice)
This is one of the Lion's Mane Mushroom supplements that gave our testing team the best possible results.
The most interesting thing about this mushroom is that scientists have shown that it can stimulate nerve growth factor (NGF), which could counteract the impact of lost nerve cells .
And many studies that looked into this effect used a similar dose to the 500 mg contained in this Nootropics Depot product.
We also like that the company made the extra effort to avoid animal gelatin in the capsules making this a vegan-friendly option.
The other thing that our testing team revealed after a few weeks is that it also seems to boost your immune system.
- Lion’s Mane Extract : 500 mg
- Great results for mental clarity and cognitive health
- Positive scientific data on boosted nerve growth factor
- Suitable for vegans as it comes in veggie capsules
- Comes in large bottles of 180 capsules
- Some people find the capsules a bit large
2 - Om Mushroom Superfood Lion's Mane
Here is another one of the mushroom supplements that focuses on delivering Lion’s Mane extract for boosted brain function . What sets it apart from the above one is that it’s a certified organic product.
But the reason we bumped it to second place is because of a proprietary label that doesn’t specify the exact amount of the active ingredient.
If you prefer mixing these nootropics with a drink or smoothie, then this powder supplement could be a great choice.
- Lion’s Mane Extract : n/a
- Positive test results for improved memory, mood, and overall brain function
- Aims to support brain health with organic mushroom ingredients
- Comes in powder form to mix with drinks or morning smoothies
- The company doesn’t list the exact amount of Lion’s Mane
3 - Naturealm Sacred 7
Naturealm has created a supplement of medicinal mushrooms that all seem to have enough scientific evidence for improving the health of nerve cells.
What we found interesting is that along with supporting brain health, it can also help your immune system due to the dose of Cordyceps mushrooms, which has been linked to multiple immune functions .
The only thing that’s annoying is that you have to measure out 1 gram of powder. It’s about half a teaspoon, but it’s difficult to get a consistent measure.
- Chaga Extract : 143 mg
- Cordyceps Extract : 143 mg
- Lion’s Mane Extract : 143 mg
- Maitake Extract : 143 mg
- Combines proven mushroom extracts to impact the health of nerve cells
- Also seems to work great to boost your immunity
- The powder mixes easily with water or can be added to a smoothie
- Measuring 1 gram of powder can be a bit difficult
4 - Mushroom Design
Here is another one of the cognitive enhancers that focuses on a blend of medicinal mushrooms that all have a positive effect on nerve cells.
One of the mushroom species that stood out for us is Reishi. Scientists have identified it as having a positive effect on stimulating immune cells .
And while the dosage of the mushrooms is great, we just found it difficult to order as it's often out of stock with major online retailers.
- Maitake Mushroom : 200 mg
- Reishi Mushroom : 200 mg
- Shiitake Mushroom : 200 mg
- High-quality mushroom supplement with multiple health benefits
- Positive results for brain health and boosted immune system
- Comes in a single capsule that is easy to swallow
- It’s often out of stock making it difficult to keep up a steady supply
5 - Stonehenge Health Dynamic Mushrooms
Here’s another one of the interesting mushroom supplements with proven nootropic benefits.
Our testing team highlighted that this mushroom extract made them a lot more focused and motivated when it came to working and studying.
One of the nootropic mushrooms in this product is called Chaga, and it typically grows on birch trees.
It has not just been linked to boosting your immune system to fight cancer, but research suggests that it has a significant impact on cognitive functions .
- Lion’s Mane Mushrooms : 1,000 mg
- Chaga Mushrooms : 100 mg
- Maitake Mushrooms : 100 mg
- Shiitake Mushrooms : 100 mg
- Combines several proven mushroom species
- Seems to work great for improved focus and motivation
- Comes in vegetable capsules suitable for vegans
- The capsules are a bit larger than others we tested
6 - Poria Mushroom
Next on our list of recommended mushroom supplements is this Poria mushroom extract.
Our testing team highlighted that they felt less stressed and fatigued, allowing them to focus better on work and study later in the day.
One meta-study identified that there is significant scientific evidence to suggest that Poria extract can help your immune system by boosting immune stimulators while at the same time limiting immune suppressors .
- Poria Extract : 500 mg
- Certified organic ingredients for high purity and quality
- Comes in small capsules that are very easy to swallow
- Great for stacking with Lion’s Mane to further promote brain health
- It’s quite expensive compared to the other mushroom species above
7 - Mushroom Design
Here is another one of the mushroom supplements with a great blend of different species. And the company has also added a wide range of vitamins, including B complex, C, D, and E.
These, combined with Lion’s Mane, seem to have a good effect on your immunity. But there is also evidence that it can help to reduce inflammation in the bowels as well .
Our testing team liked these nootropic mushrooms for their effect on overall mood and happiness, and all of them found it helped them stay a lot more focused on work.
- Cordyceps : n/a
- Lion’s Mane : n/a
- Turkey Tail : n/a
- Agarikon : n/a
- Positive effects on focus and motivation to stay on target
- It may also help with autoimmune-related inflammatory reactions
- Comes with a wide range of vitamins for boosted immune function
- You’ll need to take two larger-than-average capsules
8 - Live Ultimate Shrooms
Live Ultimate has put together a formula of organic medicinal mushrooms that seems to deliver brain power along with improved stress levels and mood, based on the feedback we got from our testing team.
The included Reishi mushroom has been shown to have an effect on nerve growth factor (NGF), which can significantly improve the health and functioning of your nervous system .
- Reishi Mushroom : 450 mg
- Cordyceps Mushroom : 450 mg
- Chaga Mushroom : 450 mg
- Maitake Mushroom : 300 mg
- Organic certified ingredients make this a high-quality product
- A great blend of proven ingredients for brain health benefits
- No flavor from the powder when mixed with smoothies or other drinks
- The powder doesn’t seem to be the easiest to mix with water
9 - FreshCap, Ultimate Mushroom Complex
FreshCap is another product with purely organic medicinal mushrooms where our clients said they felt a lot less stressed and anxious, especially during busy parts of a workday.
One ingredient that my nutritionist highlighted is Turkey Tail extract, which doesn’t just improve the health of the brain and nervous tissue, but may also help to prevent cancer .
The only downside she highlighted was that you might need more than two capsules to get a significant boost due to a lower dosage.
- Maitake Extract : 167 mg
- Chaga Extract : 167 mg
- Turkey Tail Extract : 167 mg
- Reishi Extract : 167 mg
- Positive test results for reduced stress and anxiety levels
- Organically sourced ingredients seem to provide higher purity
- Available in large bottles to last you for months
- You might need to take more than two capsules to get the best benefits
10 - Om Brain Fuel
The final one of our recommended mushroom supplements is this Om Brain Fuel, which focuses on just two types of mushrooms with proven benefits for the brain.
While it’s unclear how much Reishi is in the formula due to a proprietary label, this is one ingredient with a wide range of benefits, including potential impacts on cancer .
“Reishi mushroom has been used to help enhance the immune system, reduce stress, improve sleep, and lessen fatigue.” - Christine Mikstas, RD, LD at WebMD.com
I just wish the company published the exact amounts, as it would be a good product to stack with other nootropics.
- Lion’s Mane : n/a
- Reishi : n/a
- Organically certified ingredients provide a higher purity level
- You can easily spread out the three capsules a day for longer-lasting effects
- Comes with added folate that can boost red blood cell production
- The label lists a proprietary blend that makes stacking very difficult
Who Should Take Mushroom Nootropics?
Anyone who wants to achieve a boost in brain health and function should consider taking mushroom nootropics.
These nootropics are generally safe to take, and allergic reactions and side effects are rare.
These mushroom supplements can also help to boost your mood and focus levels making it easier to get through a busy day at work or with children.
And if you struggle with stress and mood issues, then nootropics could be the simplest solution for you.
Who Shouldn't Take Mushroom Nootropics?
Anyone who is on prescription medication for mental health issues shouldn't take mushroom nootropics without first speaking to a doctor.
While mushroom supplements don’t have major side effects, they could interact with certain drugs.
And your doctor should also know that you might be getting improvements from natural ingredients that might require an adjustment to your medication dosage.
“If you're considering trying nootropic supplements, you should talk it over with your doctor first. As with all supplements, you’ll want your doctor to let you know about any health risks, like effects on any conditions you have or medications you take.”
- Dan Brennan, MD at WebMD.com
It’s always better to be on the safe side with such medication.
Ingredients & Dosage
Here are a few ingredients you want to look out for in mushroom supplements:
- Chaga Extract
- Cordyceps Extract
- Lion’s Mane Extract
- Maitake Extract
- Reishi Extract
- Turkey Tail Extract
However, the one mushroom that has the most scientific evidence for improved brain function and health is Lion’s Mane.
And you want to look for a dose of 500 mg or higher to get the best effects.
Which Mushroom Is Best For The Brain?
Lion’s Mane mushroom is best for the brain and has been extensively studied. It’s common in traditional medicine, and modern scientists have shown a link to multiple brain function improvements .
Are Shiitake Mushrooms Nootropic?
Yes, Shiitake mushrooms are nootropic and good for the brain. Some scientists have gone so far as to say that it can even counteract cognitive impairments from diseases .
Choose The Right Mushroom Supplements
Out of all the best mushroom supplements, the one we keep going back to for recommendation is the Lion's Mane Mushroom from Nootropics Depot.
It seems like the quality and dosage are ideal, and our testing team revealed significant improvements in concentration, focus, and motivation.
It’s also the easiest one of the lot for stacking with other nootropics, giving you a lot more flexibility when it comes to dietary supplements for your overall health and well-being.
Order your first supply today and see how much it can improve your life within a couple of weeks.
About The Author
You May Also Like