Probiotic supplements are one of the best ways to address many of the most common female health issues right at the source.
Many women underestimate how taking probiotics could impact their gut health and many other areas like immune function, vaginal health, and PH levels.
The problem with many probiotic strains on the market is that they don’t have the right amount and quality of colony-forming units (CFU).
They are likely to be a waste of money since the probiotic bacteria will never grow enough to contribute to a healthy immune system.
So, we got together with a registered dietitian and spent several weeks of research to come up with a list of the best probiotics for women that maintain digestive health, keeps the digestive system running, and protects vaginal flora.
We were looking for the best probiotic supplements for women, and here’s what we found.
Best Probiotics for Women
- Best Overall Probiotic for Women: 1MD Complete Probiotics Platinum
- Cheapest Probiotic for Women: NatureWise Probiotics
- Best Probiotic for Vaginal Health: Garden of Life
- Best pH Balance Probiotic for Women: Vitamin Bounty Pro Daily Probiotic
- Best Probiotic for Women's Urinary Tract: Lovebug Probiotics
- Best Gluten-Free Probiotic Capsules for Women: Garden of Life
- Best Digestion Probiotic Supplement for Women: Culturelle Daily Probiotic
- Best Probiotic Supplement for Cramps: 1MD Complete Probiotics Platinum
- Best Women's Probiotic for Constipation and Diarrhea: Renew Life
- Strongest Dosage Probiotic Supplement for Women: NatureWise Probiotics
Our Top Probiotics For Women (December 2023)
1 - 1MD Complete Probiotics Platinum (Best Overall & for Cramps)
The best probiotic supplements option we tested out is the 1MD Platinum from a quality and dosage perspective.
The company claims that this supplement can support digestive health and improve the immune system with a good combination of 11 probiotic strains and 51 billion CFU.
While testing this supplement, I was amazed at the personal transformation I experienced. My gut felt more balanced, and the bloating I used to struggle with was significantly reduced.
The intensity of my menstrual cramps lessened, making that time of the month more bearable. Even the headaches that used to accompany my periods were not as severe, enhancing my overall well-being.
- Dosage amount: 51 billion
- Capsules are designed to release probiotics slowly
- Includes 11 strains of bacteria for a more balanced gut flora
- People like that they may get good discounts for bulk orders
- Claims to have added prebiotic fiber to help feed good bacteria
- May contain some traces of dairy
2 - Culturelle Daily Probiotic (Best for Digestion)
This probiotic supplement might be good for women with sensitive stomach acid levels. The lower dosage focuses mainly on one strain of beneficial bacteria that could often be negatively affected by antibiotics.
After just two weeks of incorporating Culturelle into my daily routine, the change in my digestion was undeniable. I used to struggle with occasional bloating and discomfort, but this supplement brought a noticeable relief. It felt like a gentle, nurturing hand was soothing my digestive system, making each day more comfortable and free from the usual digestive nuisances.
- Dosage amount: 10 billion
- Contains some prebiotics that may help the growth of new cultures
- Limited reports of side effects like gas and bloating
- Seems to be suitable for people taking strong doses of antibiotics
- Only contains lactobacillus rhamnosus, which may be a bit limited
3 - Garden of Life Dr. Formulated Probiotics (Best for Vaginal Health & Gluten-Free)
This Garden of Life probiotic supplement is a more potent option with 50 billion CFU from 16 different probiotic strains. And the strains have been chosen to help with vaginal PH balance and general health improvements .
It might also be the best probiotic strain for those who suffer from common food allergies.
In just three weeks of using Garden of Life Probiotics, the transformation in my digestion and energy levels was remarkable. My stomach felt lighter, and the usual digestive issues that often bogged me down were alleviated.
There was a newfound vibrancy in my step, a clear indication of the positive energy surge. It was as if a veil of sluggishness had been lifted, unveiling a more vibrant, energetic me.
- Dosage amount: 50 billion
- Claims to contain 16 different strains of probiotics
- Soy, gluten, and dairy free for less risk of allergies
- Specifically designed for vaginal health
- Despite being shelf stable, it may require refrigeration
4 - Vitamin Bounty Pro Daily Probiotic (Best pH Balance)
Vitamin Bounty has created this supplement to focus on good bacteria from 5 specific probiotic bacteria strains. It should help reduce the chances of gas and bloating by limiting it in this way.
Many of the review comments point out many overall health benefits, especially for digestive discomforts.
Two weeks into using Vitamin Bounty Pro, and the results have been nothing short of amazing. My pH levels feel balanced, bringing a sense of harmony within my body. At first, the size of the capsules made me hesitant.
But overcoming that initial hesitation opened doors to a bloating-free existence, a comfort I hadn’t experienced in a while. Each day feels lighter, and my body more in sync with itself.
- Dosage amount: 10 billion
- Specifically designed for female health benefits
- Five strains of bacteria may support vaginal health
- Doesn’t seem to cause gas or bloating even on an empty stomach
- Might not be strong enough for some
5 - NatureWise Probiotics (Cheapest & Strongest Dosage)
Our dietitian has recommended this product for females who might suffer from a more significant imbalance in their gastrointestinal health.
It certainly is one of the most potent products, with 90 billion units. And the online reviews seem to be quite optimistic about the slower release design, which might take 8 hours or more.
Integrating NatureWise Probiotics into my daily regimen has been a game-changer. The regularity in my digestion is something I hadn’t experienced in years. Each day, my stomach feels at ease, a comforting sensation that radiates throughout my body.
It’s like a gentle reassurance that my digestive system is finally in harmony, a feeling of inner balance that’s profoundly gratifying.
- Dosage amount: 90 billion
- One of the strongest options available
- May work well for unbalanced gut flora
- Claims to slowly release over about 8 hours
- Requires refrigeration for the maximum expiration date
6 - Lovebug Probiotics (Best for Urinary Tract)
This probiotics for women option might be the best probiotic for vaginal health and PH level improvement, preventing bacterial vaginosis.
But it might also work well for those who regularly suffer from urinary tract infections, thanks to some cranberry extracts.
After about two weeks of using this, I actually started noticing a change in my vaginal health and my stomach stayed calm.
- Dosage amount: 10 billion
- Positive reports that it may work well to balance vaginal health and PH
- Includes a small dose of D-Mannose and Cran-GYN for urinary tract health
- Shelf stable so you don’t have to keep it refrigerated
- May not be best suited for severe gut issues
7 - Nature's Way Probiotic Pearls
If you have milder gut issues, then Nature’s Way might be a good option for introducing some gut balance through your digestive enzymes.
It has no added fillers or artificial ingredients, and I liked that the capsules are smaller, making them a bit easier to swallow.
- Dosage amount: 1 billion
- Might be a good choice for common stomach issues
- Contains no fillers, additives or unnecessary artificial ingredients
- Softgel capsules seem to be easy to swallow
- Quite a limited supply of probiotics in each dose
8 - Flora Bloom Probiotic For Women
We noted with this product that many women with IBS issues, including diarrhea, have added positive comments about these capsules.
The added cranberry extract may also help if you regularly get urinary issues as well .
I found that it's a bit tough to swallow, but it's manageable, especially considering the benefits, especially if you're dealing with frequent UTIs. Just make sure to take it with food as skipping that step could end up upsetting your stomach, as it did with mine.
- Dosage amount: 10 billion
- May work well for symptoms of IBS
- Added cranberry may help with urinary tract health
- Positive reviews about it balancing vaginal PH
- It doesn’t have the broadest range of probiotics
9 - Klaire Labs Ther-Biotic Complete Probiotic
This supplement should also be a good option for a more significant impact on your bacterial balance as it may provide 12 of the more essential strains for healthier digestive enzymes.
We also liked that it arrived in a cooled and insulated bag to ensure more of the bacteria might stay alive and improve immune function further.
- Dosage amount: 25 billion
- Aims to provide 12 strains of probiotics
- Comes with prebiotic fiber to feed the new bacteria
- Ships in an insulated cool bag to ensure best results
- It will require refrigeration to ensure the culture remain alive
10 - Renew Life Ultimate Flora Extra Care Probiotic (Best for Constipation & Diarrhea)
The final product on our list has also seen a lot of positive comments that it might work well for issues like constipation and diarrhea.
And it also seems to be favored for more severe bacterial imbalances that may otherwise result in continuous discomfort.
This supplement has helped me reduce bloating and improve my overall gut health. An unexpected bonus: it helped me in handling my dental issues. Believe it or not, I've managed to successfully treat swollen and painful gum infections with it.
- Dosage amount: 50 billion
- Claims to have a broad range of 12 strains
- Positive comments about the impact on common bowel issues
- High potency may make it suitable for more severe stomach complaints
- Might be a bit limited for vaginal PH
How to Choose a Probiotic for Women?
To choose a probiotic for women, consider factors like the amount of probiotics and the probiotic strains.
Amount Of Probiotics
You may need to focus on two things before you make a final decision.
First is the quality of the colony forming units. You can find the most potent probiotic supplement if you start your search with this in mind.
We encountered many products that didn't result in any significant changes in the body. It could be due to too few bacteria arriving alive to grow into substantial colonies. Be mindful of these products since you're wasting money when buying them.
The second thing to look at is the number of bacteria. If the number is too low, it could take months before the supplement significantly improves your gut health and digestive enzymes. It's a vital consideration for people recently recovering from a stomach illness caused by harmful bacteria.
Related Article: Best Protein Bars for Women
There are hundreds of probiotic strains in your body, but there are some that may be more important than others since they play a major role in your immune health.
One that is commonly out of balance is lactobacillus rhamnosus, so it’s always good to check if it’s on the nutrition label.
Unless you have some very specific digestive health issues that a doctor diagnosed, then it might be best to go for a supplement with a broad range of strains.
Impact of Probiotics on Mental Health
The link between gut health, probiotics, and mental well-being is increasingly recognized.
The gut-brain connection, known as the gut-brain axis, suggests that the state of the gut microbiome can impact mood and cognitive functions .
Certain strains of probiotics, like Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium, have shown promise in positively affecting mental health.
These "psychobiotics" may help regulate neurotransmitters and reduce inflammation, which can influence mood, stress, and anxiety.
While research is ongoing, evidence indicates that a balanced gut microbiome, maintained through probiotics and a healthy diet, could play a role in promoting better mental well-being and cognitive function.
Probiotics and Skin Health
Probiotics can significantly impact skin health by promoting a balanced gut flora, which may lead to improved skin conditions .
A harmonious gut microbiome helps modulate the immune system, reducing inflammation and allergies that can trigger skin disorders like acne and eczema.
Probiotics encourage the production of anti-inflammatory compounds and enhance the skin's natural protective barrier, potentially alleviating skin issues.
While results can vary among individuals, research suggests that maintaining a healthy gut through probiotics and a balanced diet could be a valuable component of skincare, potentially reducing the severity and frequency of skin problems like acne, eczema, and other related conditions.
Safety and Side Effects of Probiotics
Probiotics are generally safe, but some individuals may experience side effects like gas, bloating, or upset stomach during the initial adjustment period.
People with compromised immune systems, critical illnesses, or recent surgeries should consult a healthcare professional before taking probiotics, as rare cases of infections have been reported.
To choose the right strain, consider your specific health needs. Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium strains are versatile for general use, while Saccharomyces boulardii can help with diarrhea.
Dosage varies by strain, but a range of 5-20 billion colony-forming units (CFUs) daily is common. Consult with a healthcare provider for personalized recommendations to ensure safety and effectiveness.
When Should Women Take Daily Probiotics?
Women should take daily probiotics before a meal or at the start of a meal. This timing allows the probiotics to interact with the food you're consuming.
Is It Okay to Take Women's Probiotics Everyday?
Yes, it is okay to take women's probiotics everyday. Gas is the most common side effect frequently associated with probiotics. However, it's worth noting that in certain instances, infections stemming from probiotic consumption have led to significant health complications.
Which One Is the Best Probiotic to Take?
The probiotics for women that we liked the most is the 1MD Platinum due to the choice of different strains and the effects we saw with clients and team members.
Our registered dietitian also said that it might be one of the fastest to start working as the quality of the colonies seems to be very high. It could help improve your gut health faster, ensuring better nutrient absorption. This supplement visibly improved their skin health and immune health as well.
Order yours today, and then let us know how well it worked for you in social media comments.
About The Author
You May Also Like