Losing weight is challenging, but there is some low-hanging fruit that everyone should reach for.
As a fitness trainer for over a decade, I’ve met many doctors who tell me that water — especially hot water — should be the first thing on one’s weight loss checklist.
Wanting to see if their claims were true, I asked six of my clients to switch from cold and room temperature water to warm water and study the differences.
After a few weeks of observing variables like weight, BMI, and waist circumference, here’s what we found.
- Drinking hot or warm water on an empty stomach can help your body burn fat more efficiently.
- Drinking hot water helps raise your core body temperature and makes you sweat out harmful toxins.
- Drinking water before meals can help you eat less and keep your body weight in check.
Can I Use Hot Water For Weight Loss?
Yes, you can use hot water for weight loss. Although hot water in itself doesn’t directly make you lose weight, it helps trigger certain bodily functions that speed up your weight loss.
It helps you lose weight in the following ways:
- Boosts Your Metabolism: Drinking warm water can increase your body’s metabolism. Once your metabolism gets a jump-start, you have more energy to work out and speed up your weight loss.
- Increases Satiety: When you drink warm water right before a meal, it increases your feeling of fullness, which in turn decreases your calorie intake. And consuming fewer calories helps with weight loss, especially when you’re going on a deficit.
- Breaks Down Fat: A 2016 mini-review found that increased water intake led to increased fat metabolization and fat loss .
Other Benefits of Drinking It
In addition to losing weight, water has many benefits. Here are some of them:
- Rids the Body of Toxins: Drinking water raises a person’s body temperature, which in turn makes them sweat. And sweating removes toxins from your pores .
- Relieves Constipation: Warm water helps relieve and prevent constipation . The water softens the stool, making it easier to pass through your system. In addition to cleaning out your gut, this helps your body get rid of any toxins in the digestive system.
- Clear Skin: Drinking warm water helps your body’s cells to absorb nutrients better and fight infections, which could lead to better skin .
- Clears Throat Congestion: Drinking warm water can reduce mucus formed during a cold. It can also relieve a sore throat, cure a runny nose, and reduce chest congestion.
“Drinking hot water also clears out your intestines to prevent bloating in your body, thus getting rid of excess water weight you may be carrying.”
- Cara Walsh, RD, Nutritionist
How Hot Should My Water Be?
How hot your water should be will depend upon your personal tolerance.
The optimum temperature of the water is one that your body can tolerate. Ideally, this temperature should be between 130–160°F (54–71°C).
At first, having your water hot might feel irritable. But with consistent consumption, your taste buds and throat will get used to it over time.
It’s also important to note that going above these recommended temperatures is not advisable as it may lead to burns and damage to tissues it comes in contact with.
Ways to Liven Up Your Hot Beverage
Since drinking warm water can be plain and tasteless, here are a few palatable hot drinks you can make with it.
- Lemon Juice: Adding lemon to morning water can improve its taste. It can also boost your immunity because of the vitamin C in lemon . Read more about how lemon water helps you in losing weight.
- Tea: Whether it’s green tea, black tea, or any other kind, drinking hot water along with some flavourful leaves makes the process much more enjoyable.
- Natural Flavors: Natural flavoring agents are another simple way to add flavor to your morning cup of water. Just make sure they’re free from sugar and extra calories.
“When consumed on a regular basis with lemon added to it, hot water helps balance all the acidic foods we ingest daily.”
- Dr. Luiza Petre, MD, Cardiologist
How Many Liters of Hot Water Should I Drink Every Day?
Men should drink 3.7 liters of hot water a day, and women should drink 2.7 liters. If you're working out or you’re a fairly large person, it's recommended that you increase the amount.
Does Cold Water Have the Same Benefits as Hot Water?
No, cold water does not have the same benefits as hot water. Compared to cold water, hot water is better for digestion, relieving congestion, and promoting relaxation.
When Should I Drink Hot Water?
You should drink hot water first thing in the morning and right before bed. You can also drink it throughout the day, especially before your meals.
Are There Any Side-Effects From Drinking Hot Water?
No, there are no side effects from drinking moderate amounts of hot water. But, only be careful about how hot your water is so you don’t scald your tongue.
Start Your Day With Warm Water
Starting your day with warm water has various health and weight loss benefits. However, drinking water isn’t enough.
Apart from diet and exercise, a safe way you can speed up your fat loss is with the help of the next fat burners:
They are designed to help you lose weight by slowing down fat storage, burning stubborn fat, and increasing your body temperature and energy levels.
You can take them with your morning cup of hot water, so check out the list and find which one best suits your fitness needs.
Was this article helpful?
About The Author
You May Also Like
Which One Is Better?