With over a decade of experience as a fitness trainer specializing in nutrition, I've helped many clients on their wellness journey, and in that process, I have intimately learned the benefits of fish oil, particularly in the context of fitness.
Nowadays, I always choose krill oil, partly for environmental and sustainability reasons but, more importantly, because there is a large body of evidence that it’s one of the safest sources of omega-3 fatty acids. This is mainly due to lower levels of heavy metals, which essentially means fewer risks of side effects.
So, I spent a few weeks doing in-depth research on some of the most popular and best krill oil supplements available. I ordered all the products on the list to personally test them, and I called up a dietitian to consult on the topic.
Here's what my research and testing have uncovered.
The Best Krill Oil Supplements
- Best Overall Krill Oil Supplement: 1MD
- Cheapest Krill Oil Supplement: MegaRed Omega-3 Krill Oil
- Best Krill Oil Supplement for Heart Health: Transparent Labs
- Best Sports-Certified Krill Oil Supplement: Onnit
- Best Natural Krill Oil Supplement: Sports Research Krill Oil
- Most Sustainable Krill Oil Supplement: Dr. Mercola Antarctic Krill Oil
- Best Krill Oil Supplement for Optimal Absorption: Bronson Antarctic Krill Oil
- Best Krill Oil Supplement for Joint Health: Viva Naturals Antarctic Krill Oil
- Best Easy-to-Swallow Krill Oil Supplement: NatureMyst Krill Oil
- Best Formulated Krill Oil Supplement: Solaray Super Omega 3,7,9
Our Top Krill Oil Supplements (December 2023)
1 - KrillMD by 1MD (Best Overall)
KrillMD by 1MD Nutrition stands out for having the highest amount of krill oil on this list and for its antioxidant content.
This potent krill oil combination makes the joints more flexible, and improves mobility. I gathered feedback from 10 of my clients who reported that there were able to move more after using KrillMD after several weeks.
The naturally-derived ingredients help keep your cholesterol levels healthy and support brain health.
It’s also free of major allergens and unnecessary fillers and additives, so you can rest assured you’re using a safe product.
- Amount of krill oil: 1,600 mg
- Improves joint mobility and flexibility
- Helps regulate cholesterol levels
- Promotes memory, mood, and cognitive function
- Supports general well-being
- Gives off a strong smell when you first open the bottle
2 - Transparent Labs Krill Oil (Best for Heart Health)
This krill oil product from Transparent Labs is another trustworthy source of krill oil. It contains high doses of EPA, DHA, and omega-3 fats that help support brain, joint, and heart health.
It’s free of gluten, GMOs, and anything artificial, so you’re assured of its purity.
I love that it doesn’t leave a fishy aftertaste, which is common in most krill oil supplements.
- Amount of krill oil: 1,000 mg
- Helps keep your brain, heart, and joints healthy
- High amounts of EPA, DHA, and omega-3s
- No artificial ingredients
- A bit pricy compared to other products
3 - Onnit Krill Oil (Best Sports-Certified)
ONNIT krill oil supplement is another product I found to have just the right amount of fatty acids per serving.
The capsules are small and easy to swallow, with many folks saying they don’t get that common fishy aftertaste.
Based on my experience, I suggest taking an extra Onnit krill oil supplement capsule during high-intensity training sessions.
Check out our full ONNIT Krill Oil review here.
Amount of krill oil: 1,000 mg
- Contains added astaxanthin that may help with high cholesterol
- Sustainably sourced from Antarctic waters
- Many reviews say it doesn’t leave a fishy aftertaste
- Athletes may require a higher dose of omega-3s
4 - Sports Research Antarctic Krill Oil (Best Natural)
For a slightly larger serving size of omega-3 fatty acids, Sports Research krill oil pills may have you covered.
Our tests concluded that it’s one of the more suitable krill oil brands for athletes, or anyone who may have severe symptoms of joint problems.
I found several users on Facebook reporting better joint health and stronger knees.
Amount of krill oil: 1,250 mg
- Claims to contain no artificial additives or fillers
- Comes in easy to swallow softgels
- Sustainably sourced from Antarctic krill
- Some reports of fishy burps if you don’t take them immediately before food
5 - Dr. Mercola Antarctic Krill Oil (Most Sustainable)
This krill oil supplement product doesn’t just claim to be from a sustainable source of krill, but it also has an MSC certificate of sustainability for all the ingredients.
The per serving size is easily adapted for performance athletes by adding an extra capsule. And I liked that there didn’t seem to be a fishy aftertaste. This could be a heartening fact if you're very particular with how your krill oil supplement tastes.
Amount of krill oil: 1,000 mg
- Contains astaxanthin, which may support cardiovascular health
- Seems to not leave you with fishy burps
- Has an MSC.org certificate of sustainability
- Keep in mind this is a product that combines krill and fish oil
6 - Bronson Antarctic Krill Oil (Best for Optimal Absorption)
While omega-3 fatty acids from krill are generally less likely to contain heavy metal, it’s still nice to have the peace of mind of some independent testing and verification.
Our tests indicate that the per serving size from this krill oil product is fine for average daily use. And what’s most impressive is a 1-year guarantee, which I’ve never seen before.
Amount of krill oil: 1,000mg
- Independently tested for heavy metals content
- Small softgel capsules seem to be easy to swallow
- Has an impressive 1-year money-back guarantee
- Some people found it to have a fishy aftertaste
7 - MegaRed Omega-3 Krill Oil (Cheapest Option)
MegaRed krill oil supplements come to you from one of the leading brands when it comes to all types of Omega products.
During our analysis, we concluded that there were no side effects to this product at all.
I was impressed by the purification process of this krill oil product, which apparently removes some impurities and salts.
Amount of krill oil: 1,000mg
- Claims to be three times purer by removing salts
- Small capsules are easy to swallow
- Created by one of the leading Omega-3 oil brands
- Some better bulk-buy options would be great
8 - Viva Naturals Antarctic Krill Oil (Best for Joint Health)
Another slightly larger serving size comes from Viva Naturals krill oil supplements. It also seems to be one of the krill oils recommended for folks with joint problems, as there are quite a few positive reviews.
While I did find that there were practically no fishy burps, the krill oil capsule might be a bit awkward to swallow for some.
Amount of krill oil: 1,250mg
- Many positive reviews about it helping with joint health
- Capsules claim to be designed to reduce fish burps
- Claims to have higher strength phospholipids making them easier to absorb
- Some people found the shape a little difficult to swallow
9 - NatureMyst Krill Oil (Best Easy-to-Swallow)
Here’s another krill oil that I noted a lot of folks saying that they were easy to swallow because of their small size and shape.
More importantly, it’s another product that is independently tested to see if it contains harmful toxins.
Amount of krill oil: 1,250mg
- Easy to swallow size without getting stuck in your throat
- Third-party tested for purity and quality
- Seems to have a stronger dose of DHA for heart health and blood pressure
- Some people reviewed it as having a slightly fishy aftertaste
10 - Solaray Super Omega 3,7,9 + Krill (Best Formulated)
Of all the krill oil supplements I tested, this is the one I found to be the best formulated one.
By combining omega-3 fatty acids from krill and fish, the product claims to be able to provide your body with a better range of Omega 3, 7, and 9 for brain, heart, and skin health.
The serving size is just right for the average adult. And you should find it easy to adjust for different training periods.
Amount of krill oil: 1,500mg
- Provides a balanced Omega profile of 3, 7, and 9
- Combines krill and fish oil to contain a wider range of micronutrients
- Claims to have added vitamin E for improved skin health
- Has some added CoQ10 to help your body detox
- It may have a slight aftertaste that could be avoided by taking the product with food
11 - Bulksupplements Krill Oil
I found the Bulksupplements Krill oil to have a fishy aftertaste, making it hard to sustain its intake.
Even in the smallest package, it’s hard to find a better price when you work it out on the basis of omega-3 fatty acids per serving.
But once you add the large bulk-order options in, then you could save even more on these krill oil supplements.
Amount of krill oil: 1,000mg
- Hard to beat on a price per serving basis
- Contains no unnecessary fillers or common allergens
- Available in large bulk-order bags
- The amount of DHA and EPA is a bit on the low side compared to other products
12 - Prowise Superba Krill Oil
These Prowise Superba krill oil supplements have a lot of reviews about one of the main benefits being a lack of aftertaste.
Our research indicates that the serving size isn’t that high, but at this price, you could easily increase the dose.
Superba also claims that the krill oil contains only natural ingredients with no dodgy additives.
Amount of krill oil: 1,000mg
- ProsClaims to use eco harvesting methods for minimal environmental impact
- Positive reports about being easy to swallow with no aftertaste
- Uses only natural ingredients with non-GMO certificate
- EPA and DHA amount could be increased a bit
How We Tested Krill Oil Supplements
In our quest to determine the best krill oil supplements on the market, we employed a rigorous testing methodology based on the following key criteria:
We meticulously assessed the quantity of krill oil present in each supplement. This involved examining the total milligrams (mg) per serving, ensuring that consumers receive an adequate dose to reap the health benefits of krill oil.
Beyond just the krill oil content, we delved into the ingredient list of each product. We scrutinized the purity of the krill oil, the presence of any additional beneficial compounds like astaxanthin, and checked for any artificial additives or fillers that could compromise the quality.
Affordability is a crucial factor for many consumers. We compared the cost per serving, package size, and overall value for money. This helped us gauge whether the product offers good value or if it's priced higher than its counterparts with similar benefits.
Krill Oil Buyer’s Guide
Before you just start taking krill oil capsules, I would suggest that you follow these three tips that we used in our best krill oil supplements research.
1 - Compare Based On Dose
Depending on whether you’re a high-performance athlete, or just want the general health benefit from omega-3 fatty acid, it’s important to start with your krill oil intake per day. It also applies to fish oil products.
For most men and women, a 1,000 mg capsule will be a good starting point .
So it’s important to then look at the serving size on each product to better compare the price.
Bonus tip: try to get a product that has two capsules per serving; this may allow easier dose increases.
2 - Source And Purity
Pretty much every krill oil supplement we saw is sourced from Antarctic waters, where krill seems to be most abundant. But the other advantage is that it should reduce the risks of heavy metals exposure and associated side effects .
Because they are at the base of the food chain, krill do not accumulate as many potentially harmful toxins and heavy metals as other marine life higher in the food chain.
- Dennis A. Goodman, MD
Next, you want to make sure that the omega-3 fatty acids are purified without the use of chemicals. This should increase the quality of the DHA and EPA in the products, which could make it easier to absorb into your blood-stream.
3 - Avoiding Fishy Burps
While there are many benefits of krill oil supplements, including lower cholesterol and increased brain function , you may need to factor in the fishy burps.
This is very much the same as with fish oil supplements. But there are some products that manage to create capsules that release the omega-3 fatty acids more slowly.
It also generally should help to take them just before a meal.
What Is Krill Oil Good For?
Krill oil is good for your cardiovascular health as well as brain function. It has been shown to improve heart health and blood pressure by reducing the effects of harmful cholesterol levels in the blood.
Is Krill Oil Bad for Your Liver?
No, krill oil isn’t bad for your liver at a normal daily dosage unless you have other underlying liver problems. Krill oil, like fish oil supplements, increase your body’s fat intake, but at low doses, this shouldn’t affect fat retention in liver cells.
What Is the Role of Astaxanthin in Krill Oil, and What Benefits Does It Provide?
Astaxanthin is a potent antioxidant in krill oil that helps protect the skin from damage, supports eye health, and fights oxidative stress. Its inclusion in krill oil amplifies the supplement's health benefits, offering a well-rounded approach to wellness.
How Should Krill Oil Supplements Be Stored to Ensure Maximum Efficacy?
Krill oil supplements should be stored in a cool, dry place away from sunlight to ensure maximum efficacy. Always check for unusual smells or changes in color and consume them before the expiration date to maintain their health benefits.
Are There Any Potential Drug Interactions With Krill Oil That Users Should Be Aware Of?
Yes, there are some potential drug interactions with kirl oils that users should be aware of. Krill oil may interact with certain medications, including blood thinners, so it's crucial to consult a healthcare provider before combining it with any medication. This precaution helps prevent adverse interactions and ensures the safe use of krill oil supplements.
What Is the Environmental Impact of Krill Harvesting for Krill Oil Supplements?
Krill harvesting, particularly in the Antarctic, can significantly affect the marine ecosystem by disrupting the food chain if not managed sustainably. To minimize environmental impact, it's crucial to select krill oil supplements that are sourced from companies practicing responsible and sustainable krill harvesting.
Our Verdict on Best Krill Oil Supplements
For me, the best krill oil supplement available is KrillMD by 1MD Nutrition.
Based on my tests, I believe it provides a generous amount of krill oil and contains the antioxidant astaxanthin, making it one of the most comprehensive omega-3 supplements we’ve ever seen.
This formula promises to promote joint mobility, keep cholesterol levels in check, and improve cognitive health.
Plus, it’s free of elements you wouldn’t want to find in your supplements, such as fillers, additives, and major allergens.
About The Author
You May Also Like