People with diabetes need to carefully plan their food eating habits and workouts while continuously monitoring their blood sugar.
On top of watching their intake of starch, fiber, and carbs, they need to resist the sugar urges from snacks that can sometimes seem frustrating.
The good news? There are tons of diabetes-friendly protein bars that makes a smart and healthy option for both your sweet tooth and gym goals.
We've looked into dozens of protein bars for diabetes and after weeks of trying all of them, we can confidently choose the best one for diabetics. Read on to find out more.
Our Top Diabetic Protein Bars (October 2022)
1 - Orgain Organic (Editor's Choice)
The Orgain Organic Protein Bar is a low-carb, gluten-free protein bar that contains 10 grams of plant-based protein, 6 grams of fiber, and only 5 grams of sugar.
These are lean, healthy snack bar for diabetes to control their blood sugar levels.
Personally, the chocolate chip cookie dough and S’mores were my favorite flavors. I do reach out for the peanut butter sometimes, but nothing beats the classic chocolate chip.
- Calories : 150
- Protein : 10g
- Carbs : 19g
- Fat : 5g
- 10g of protein and 150 calories per serving
- 19 grams of carbs and high in fiber
- Sugar content is low for better blood sugar levels
- 100% plant-based ingredients
- Comes with a variety of tasty flavors (chocolate chip and S'mores are must tries)
- Low protein amount when compared to other protein bars
This is an ideal meal replacement bar if you have diabetes because of the clean and healthy ingredients.
You might want to read The recommended protein bars for women, where Orgain Organic Protein Bar is also number one on the list.
30% Off Your First Subscription Order until the end of October
2 - BSN Protein Crisp
While some protein bars, products, or meals are considered just "candy" bars, BSN Protein Crisp Bars are high-protein, low-carb protein bars that pack a considerable punch while remaining healthy and delicious.
Each of these snack bars for diabetes have about 3 grams of sugar, which many folks with diabetes find manageable and healthy.
- Calories : 240
- Protein : 20g
- Carbs : 24g
- Fat : 7g
- Packed with 20 grams of protein, through whey isolate
- Helps keep you energized on the go
- Low in sugar (4g or less) for better blood sugars
- Satisfies your sweet tooth cravings, guilt-free
- Not vegan-friendly
- Quite high in total carbs (24 g per serving)
Many reviewers also claimed that these protein bars for diabetes are perfect for snack because it helps with the sugar cravings.
3 - Quest Nutrition
These healthy snack bars for diabetes from Quest Nutrition have a good amount of carbs and protein without so much added sugar.
With 14 grams of fiber per serving, this bar has one of the highest fiber content among the snack bars on this list.
- Calories : 200
- Protein : 21g
- Carbs : 21g
- Fat : 9g
- An array of candy bar flavors to choose from
- No sugar alcohols protein bars sweetened with allulose
- 1/10 the calories of real sugar
- Ideal pre-workout for diabetics to improve blood sugars
- Texture may not be for everyone
- A few flavors don’t work so well
In this case, Quest Nutrition is one of the best protein bars for diabetes because it contains 21 grams of protein.
It is also sweetened with allulose instead of added sugar alcohols which provides only 1/10 the calories.
4 - Kind Bars
Kind Bars are protein bars for diabetes with zero refined sugar which are also wheat-free, gluten-free, and dairy-free.
They’re probably as close as you’re going to get to ‘clean’ and healthy protein snacks or meal, and your body is likely going to appreciate that.
These protein bars for diabetes has a low glycemic index, which may help individuals with diabetes control their blood sugar levels.
- Calories : 200
- Protein : 8g
- Carbs : 16g
- Fat : 13g
- Available in a wide variety of flavors
- No genetically modified organisms
- Great texture and equally great taste
- Sweetener is from honey and/or dried fruit
- Not as high in protein as others
Whether they have diabetes or not, some people prefer eating protein bars for diabetes for its nutritional value. If you have allergies, you might want to check the label first because it contains different types of nuts.
5 - NuGO Slim
NuGo Slim Brownie Crunch protein bars are high-protein and low-sugar, making it suitable for people having issues with their blood sugars.
Each protein bar has 2 grams of sugar -- a load that is highly manageable and 9 grams of fiber to help you feel satiated.
- Calories : 180
- Protein : 16g
- Carbs : 17g
- Fat : 8g
- Available in raspberry truffle, dark brownie crunch, and roasted peanut
- Only 2 grams of sugar per bar
- No trans fats or high fructose corn syrup
- Real chocolate coating
- Can be challenging to find
6 - RX Bar
The RX Bar may be just what the doctor recommends for diabetics who are looking for sugar-free protein bars for diabetes that also provide a bit of a pick me up during the long day.
It is made without GMOs and artificial preservatives. It’s also soy-free, dairy-free, and gluten-free. It is also certified Kosher by the Orthodox Union.
- Calories : 210
- Protein : 12g
- Carbs : 23g
- Fat : 9g
- Delicious sugar-free protein bars
- Produced in certified Kosher facility
- 5 mg caffeine per bar for energy boost
- Subscriptions available
- Those with nut allergies may want to steer clear
RX Bars utilize 5 mg of caffeine to produce the aforementioned ‘pick me up' without relying on the sugar alcohols.
Like some of our other protein bars for diabetes, though, if you have nut allergies along with diabetes, you'll want to be careful.
7 - Kashi TLC Chewy Granola Bars
Kashi TLC Chewy Granola Bars are not as high in protein as some of the other items on our list, but they are delicious, contain plenty of fiber, and free of high fructose corn syrup and sugar.
These protein bars for diabetes are packed with plenty of whole grains, sun-dried fruit, and roasted nuts that our body needs every day.
- Calories : 140
- Protein : 7g
- Carbs : 19g
- Fat : 5g
- No high fructose corn syrup or sugar alcohols
- Sugar-free, refined or otherwise
- 5-7 grams of protein per bar
- Naturally low in starch
- Chocolate coating tends to melt
- Not as tasty as some other snack bars
They're also free of gluten, soy, and artificial ingredients. It is perfect for those who want to satisfy their appetite without the added sugar.
Choosing The Top Protein Bar for Diabetics
As long as you understand that protein snack bars are not completely risk-free (some contain chocolate, starches, and other ingredients that can cause a spike in blood sugar), then any of the best protein bars for diabetes profiled above should fulfill between-meal cravings.
When choosing protein bars for diabetes, it's important to look for:
- Quality natural ingredients
- Outstanding taste
- Nutritional value (low sugar, high in healthy fats and fiber)
- No sweeteners (1)
If you want to ensure that the protein bars you have in your pantry are indeed diabetic-free, you can make your own using the best protein powders for diabetics.
Important: Always read the label carefully, look for 5 to 15 g of protein (the more, the better generally), steer clear of artificial ingredients, avoid high-fructose corn syrup, and enjoy.
Our Favorite Protein Bars for Diabetics
The best protein bars for diabetics are those low in sugar and have enough protein and carbs you need to stay energized throughout the day.
These are never going to be without risk, as we mentioned, but if you have diabetes, they can help you respond to sugar cravings in a positive way.
The Orgain Organic Protein Snack Bar is an ideal example of the type of well-rounded, healthy snack bars that most diabetics need to maintain adequate blood sugar levels.
It is packed with 10g of premium plant-based protein, 5g of sugar, and also one of the delicious tasting protein bars I've ever tried.
Was this article helpful?
About The Author
You May Also Like