Through my close work with clients dealing with diabetes, I've seen firsthand how vital it is to plan meals or workouts carefully and be mindful of blood sugar levels.
On top of watching their intake of starch, fiber, and carbs, people with diabetes need to resist the sugar urges from snacks, which may seem frustrating.
After sampling dozens of protein bars and gathering feedback on their effects on blood sugar levels from clients with diabetes, I've pinpointed seven types that consistently rank at the top for those managing the condition.
These bars not only cater to those with a sweet tooth but also support fitness goals effectively.
Read on to find out more.
- Best Overall Protein Bar for Diabetics: Orgain Organic
- Cheapest Protein Bar for People with Diabetes: Kind Bars
- Best Tasting Protein Bar for Diabetics: Orgain Organic
- Best Protein Granola Bar for People With Diabetes: Kashi TLC
- Best Pre-Workout Protein Bar for Diabetics: Quest Nutrition
- Best Vegan Protein Bar for Diabetics: Orgain Organic
- Best Protein Bar Rich in Fiber: BSN Protein Crisp
- Best Protein-Rich Snack for Diabetics: Quest Nutrition
Our Top Diabetic Protein Bars (December 2023)
1 - Orgain Organic (Best Overall & Best Tasting)
After recommending the Orgain Organic Protein Bar to many of my clients with diabetes, they've consistently praised its low-carb, gluten-free composition. This bar boasts 10 grams of plant-based protein, 6 grams of fiber, and a mere 5 grams of sugar, making it a top choice among them.
These are lean, healthy snack bars for diabetes to control blood sugar levels.
Personally, the chocolate chip cookie dough and S’mores were my favorite protein bar flavors. I do reach out for the peanut butter sometimes, but nothing beats the classic chocolate chip.
- Calories: 150
- Protein: 10g
- Carbs: 19g
- Fat: 5g
- 10g of protein and 150 calories per serving
- 19 grams of carbs and high in fiber
- Sugar content is low for better blood sugar levels
- 100% plant-based ingredients
- Comes with a variety of tasty flavors (chocolate chip and S'mores are must tries)
- Low protein amount when compared to other protein bars
These are ideal meal replacement bars for diabetes because of the clean and healthy ingredients.
You might want to read the recommended protein bars for women, where Orgain Organic Protein Bar is also number one on the list.
30% Off Your First Subscription Order until the end of December
2 - BSN Protein Crisp (Best Protein Bar Rich in Fiber)
Many clients managing diabetes expressed disappointment with protein bars that felt just like candy. Yet, BSN Protein Crisp Bars has consistently received positive feedback. They emphasize its high protein, low carb content, and the ideal balance it strikes between health and flavor.
Each of these snack bars for diabetes has about 3 grams of sugar, and based on our experience, many folks with diabetes find it manageable and healthy.
- Calories: 240
- Protein: 20g
- Carbs: 24g
- Fat: 7g
- Packed with 20 grams of protein, through whey protein isolate
- Helps keep you energized on the go
- Low in sugar (4g or less) for better or low blood sugar
- Satisfies your sweet tooth cravings, guilt-free
- Not vegan-friendly
- Quite high in total carbs (24 g per serving)
Many reviewers also claimed that these protein bars for diabetes are perfect for snack because it helps with the sugar cravings.
3 - Quest Nutrition (Best Pre-Workout and Protein-Rich)
Users have found Quest Nutrition bars to be a game-changer. They provide a balanced amount of carbs and protein, allowing people with diabetes to enjoy a treat without the concern of excessive added sugars.
With 14 grams of fiber per serving, this protein bar has one of the highest fiber content among the snack bars on this list. Based on our tests, it's a great feature since it helps with digestion while ensuring you don't suffer any health drawbacks.
- Calories: 200
- Protein: 21g
- Carbs: 21g
- Fat: 9g
- An array of candy bar flavors to choose from
- No sugar alcohols protein bars sweetened with allulose
- 1/10 the calories of real sugar
- Ideal pre-workout for diabetics to improve blood sugars
- Texture may not be for everyone
- A few flavors don’t work so well
In this case, Quest Nutrition is one of the best protein bars for diabetes because it contains 21 grams of protein.
This snack bar is also sweetened with allulose instead of added sugar alcohols which provides only 1/10 the calories.
4 - Kind Bars (Cheapest Option)
These bars are free from refined sugars and meet dietary needs such as wheat, gluten-free, and dairy-free. That’s why my diabetic clients love them.
Based on our observations, they’re probably as close as you’ll get to ‘clean’ and healthy protein snacks or meals, and your body will likely appreciate that .
These protein bars for diabetes has a low glycemic index, which may help individuals with diabetes control their blood sugar levels.
- Calories: 200
- Protein: 8g
- Carbs: 16g
- Fat: 13g
- Available in a wide variety of flavors
- No genetically modified organisms
- Great texture and equally great taste
- Sweetener is from honey and/or dried fruit
- Not as high in protein as others
Whether they have diabetes or not, some people prefer eating protein bars for diabetes for its nutritional value. If you have allergies, you might want to check the label first because the snack bar often contains different types of nuts.
5 - NuGO Slim
My clients tell me that NuGo Slim Brownie Crunch protein bars are a great option. They're high-protein and low-sugar, aligning well with the needs of those monitoring their blood sugars.
Each protein bar has 2 grams of sugar -- our research indicates that this load is highly manageable, along with 9 grams of fiber to help you feel satiated.
- Calories: 180
- Protein: 16g
- Carbs: 17g
- Fat: 8g
- Available in raspberry truffle, dark brownie crunch, and roasted peanut
- Only 2 grams of sugar per bar
- No trans fats or high fructose corn syrup
- Real chocolate coating
- Can be challenging to find
6 - RX Bar
Our investigation demonstrated that the RX Bar may be just what the doctor recommends for diabetics who are looking for sugar-free protein bars for diabetes that also provide a bit of a pick me up during the long day .
It is made without GMOs and artificial preservatives. It’s also soy-free, dairy-free, and gluten-free. It is also certified Kosher by the Orthodox Union.
- Calories: 210
- Protein: 12g
- Carbs: 23g
- Fat: 9g
- Delicious sugar-free protein bars
- Produced in certified Kosher facility
- 5 mg caffeine per bar for energy boost
- Subscriptions available
- Those with nut allergies may want to steer clear
RX Bars utilize 5 mg of caffeine to produce the aforementioned ‘pick me up' without relying on the sugar alcohols.
Like some of our other protein bars for diabetes, though, if you have nut allergies along with diabetes, you'll want to be careful.
7 - Kashi TLC (Best Granola Bars)
Our findings show that Kashi TLC Chewy Granola Bars are not as high in protein as some of the other items on our list, but they are delicious, contain plenty of fiber, and free of high fructose corn syrup and sugar.
These protein bars for diabetes are packed with plenty of whole grains, sun-dried fruit, and roasted nuts that our body needs every day.
- Calories: 140
- Protein: 7g
- Carbs: 19g
- Fat: 5g
- No high fructose corn syrup or sugar alcohols
- Sugar-free chewy bars, refined or otherwise
- 5-7 grams of protein per bar
- Naturally low in starch
- Chocolate coating tends to melt, making these chewy bars messier
- Not as tasty as some other snack bars
They're also free of gluten, soy, and artificial ingredients. It is perfect for those who want to satisfy their appetite without the added sugar.
Choosing The Top Protein Bar for Diabetics
As long as you understand that protein snack bars are not completely risk-free (some contain chocolate, starches, and other ingredients that can cause a spike in blood sugar), then any of the best protein bars for diabetes profiled above should fulfill between-meal cravings .
When choosing protein bars for diabetes, it's important to look for:
- Quality natural ingredients
- Outstanding taste
- Nutritional value (low sugar, high in healthy fats and fiber)
- No sweeteners 
If you want to ensure that the protein bars you have in your pantry are indeed diabetic-free, you can make your own using the best protein powders for diabetics. With this, you can customize your bars to cater to your nutritional needs without worrying about hidden ingredients some brands like putting in as fillers.
Important: Always read the label carefully, look for 5 to 15 g of protein (the more, the better generally), steer clear of artificial ingredients, avoid high-fructose corn syrup, and enjoy.
What Should You Look For in Energy Bars for Diabetes?
You should look for energy bars for diabetes with less than 10 grams sugar and 30 grams carbohydrates content. At the same time, it should contain at least 5 grams of protein, 3 grams of fiber, and a maximum of 250 calories.
Are Protein Bars Ok for Diabetics?
Yes, protein bars are ok for diabetics. Most protein bars offer an excellent snacking option for people with diabetes because of the significant amount of protein they provide.
Do Protein Bars Spike Sugar?
Some protein bars spike sugar. That's why you should aim for protein bars with less than 15 grams of net carbs since that represents the only safe option for keeping your blood sugar level healthy.
Our Favorite Protein Bars for Diabetics
The best protein bars for diabetics are those low in sugar and have enough protein and carbs you need to stay energized throughout the day.
These are never going to be without risk, as we mentioned, but if you have diabetes, they can help you respond to sugar cravings in a positive way.
The Orgain Organic Protein Snack Bar is an ideal example of the type of well-rounded, healthy snack bars that most diabetics need to maintain adequate blood sugar levels.
It is packed with 10g of premium plant-based protein, 5g of sugar, and also one of the delicious tasting protein bars I've ever tried.
About The Author
You May Also Like