My dietitian always reminds me of the health benefits of spirulina powder -- it boosts your immune system and helps your body remove free radicals and heavy metals.
However, there are too many products available that might contain toxins or use processes that damage the nutrients.
So, I spent countless hours researching spirulina supplements. Together with a group of my clients, I tested them over a period of three months. Here are the best and safest options available.
The Best Spirulina Supplements
- Best Overall Spirulina Supplement: Live Conscious
- Cheapest Spirulina Tablets: Natural Nutra Organic Spirulina Supplement
- Best Chlorella Spirulina Supplement: Transparent Labs Prebiotic Greens
- Best Organic Spirulina Powder: Organifi Green Juice
- Best USA-Made Spirulina Supplement: Pure Hawaiian Spirulina Powder
- Best Spirulina Powder for Mental Alertness: BN Organic Spirulina Powder
- Best Sustainably Sourced Spirulina Supplement: NOW Spirulina Powder
- Best Spirulina Supplement for Protein Boost: Sari Foods Organic Spirulina Powder
- Best Spirulina Supplement for Post-Workout Recovery: BulkSupplements
- Best Money-back Guarantee Spirulina Tablets: Dr. Mercola Spiru-Blue
Our Top Products (December 2023)
1 - Live Conscious Beyond Greens (Best Overall)
Live Conscious, formerly known as Livewell, continues to impress with their latest offering - Beyond Greens powder, securing the top spot on our list.
This exceptional green brand demonstrates that an all-natural superfood greens powder can be both nutritious and delicious.
As someone who isn't typically a fan of tea, I personally vouch for the light matcha flavor they've achieved.
Beyond Greens powder is a powerful blend of superfoods, including milk thistle, probiotics, and various mushrooms.
Its claim to promote gut health and boost the immune system comes without any unwanted additives.
- Non-GMO, gluten-free, soy-free, and dairy-free, catering to those with food intolerances
- Comprised of all-natural, high-quality ingredients
- The unique and refreshing light matcha flavor
- Low calorie content per serving
- Limited to a single flavored option
The Beyond Greens powder is a soy-free and gluten-free formula, enriched with vital nutrients like vitamin C.
This makes it an excellent choice for supporting the immune system and reaping the benefits of green drinks.
2 - Transparent Labs Prebiotic Greens (Best Chlorella)
Transparent Labs is possibly one of our favorite supplements company because they are completely open and honest about the ingredients.
I was impressed with how it positively impacted my digestion and overall energy levels. This is thanks to the combination of spirulina, chlorella, and prebiotics. It felt like one of the best spirulina supplements I’ve tried.
It claims to be low in toxins and has no artificial additives that could cause gut flora problems.
- Combines quality spirulina with chlorella for better detox
- Provides a blend of 8g prebiotic fibers to help digestive health
- Claims to improve gut flora to help with nutrient absorption
- Contains no artificial ingredients or flavors
- It has a slightly sweet flavor
Just try to water it down a bit as some people find the flavor to be a bit sweet.
3 - Organifi Green Juice (Best Organic)
This is the first pure organic spirulina supplement on our list, where the entire product is sourced organically.
But it also goes beyond just spirulina.
After trying Organifi Green Juice, the blend of plant super greens from many sources genuinely made a noticeable difference in my heart, brain, and immune health. It wasn’t just a claim; I felt the improvement.
That was quite a convincing bonus for us.
- All ingredients are from organic sources for higher quality
- Combines a long list of other plant super greens for an immune boost
- Great discounts when signing up for a spirulina supplement subscription
- You need to shake it for a bit longer to get it fully mixed
One thing we did notice is that it might be a bit stubborn to fully mix, so you may want a shaker handy.
4 - Pure Hawaiian Spirulina Powder (Best USA-Made)
This organic spirulina is grown and packaged in the USA with the aim to give people the added peace of mind that it’s not exposed to toxins.
I remember the first time I mixed Pure Hawaiian Spirulina Powder with my fruit salad and cereal. The rich, earthy flavor complemented the sweetness of the fruits beautifully. It not only worked well, but became a staple in my breakfast routine.
- High-quality spirulina from blue-green algae made in the USA
- Suitable for mixing into morning cereals
- Also available as spirulina tablets if you’re not a fan of the powder
- It does have a slight aftertaste
Compared to the above option, we did find that there is a bit of an aftertaste, but you could water it down a bit more.
5 - BN Organic Spirulina Powder (Best for Mental Alertness)
We’re on a roll with organic spirulina powder, and what stood out for us with this product is the low heat processing .
I can attest to the mental energy boost. There were days when the mental fog was the norm, but after incorporating BN Organic Spirulina Powder into my diet, clarity, and focus became my new normal.
- Claims to use a low heat process to maintain nutritional benefits
- Many reports that it may also promote mental alertness and focus
- Also available as spirulina tablets which could be more convenient
- It’s not the best tasting product
The only thing we found is that the taste could be improved as you do tend to get the sense you’re drinking algae.
But, you could always order this in tablet form instead.
6 - NOW Certified Organic Spirulina Powder (Best Sustainably Sourced)
This USDA certified organic spirulina powder comes from a company that claims it’s entirely sourced from sustainable production facilities.
This may also explain why they highlight it as pure spirulina with some added vitamins like A and B12 for heart and immune health.
After trying it, the quality was undeniable. It mixed well in my morning smoothies, and I felt an energy boost that lasted throughout the day, a testament to its sustainable sourcing.
- Certified USDA organic sources of ingredients for added peace of mind
- Claims to be one of the most sustainably sourced spirulina supplements
- Good source of vitamin A and B12
- You’ll need to shake it a lot to fully mix
Unlike some of the other brand options, we found that it wouldn’t just stir into the water but mixed well in a shaker.
7 - Sari Foods Organic Spirulina Powder (Best for Protein Boost)
Sari Foods brings us this quality spirulina product where the content is sourced from freshwater lakes with optimum conditions for low toxicity.
There seems to be a lot of research and information on toxic substances in algae, which could pose significant health risks .
This may also be one of the better spirulina supplements to boost your amino acid intake due to the rich protein content.
- Claims to be harvested from freshwater lakes for lowest levels of pollutants
- Provides a good boost of protein
- Good source of vitamins A, B12, and K
- The full dose may taste a bit intense
I learned quickly that moderation is key with Sari Foods Organic Spirulina Powder. The first time I tried it, the intensity of the flavor took me by surprise. But with a bit more water, it became a refreshing and invigorating drink.
8 - Bulksupplements Spirulina Supplement (Best for Post-Workout Recovery)
As an avid gym-goer, Bulksupplements Spirulina Supplement became my go-to for post-workout recovery. The rich protein content supported muscle repair, and I noticed a significant reduction in recovery time and an increase in my workout performance.
It covers quite a wide range of amino acids with some pretty good savings available if you buy one of the larger bulk order bags.
- Uses organic spirulina powder for higher quality
- Available in a bulk order container for some good savings
- A good dose of essential and non-essential amino acids
- Some reports about the bags not sealing properly after a while
One thing we did find with the seal on the bags is that it’s sometimes a bit difficult to properly seal.
So, you might want to source a different type of container.
9 - Natural Nutra Organic Spirulina Supplement (Cheapest Option)
I’ve always been on the move, and Natural Nutra Organic Spirulina Supplement became my companion. The convenience of popping a vegan tablet during busy days without compromising on the quality and richness of organic spirulina was a game-changer for my health and energy levels.
Releasing the superfood in this way could help sustain your energy levels throughout the day.
It’s also nice to see a money-back guarantee, so if you don’t like the results, you don’t have anything to lose.
- Vegan tablets to make timing your intake easier
- Available in a large bottle with bulk order discounts
- Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee
- For the full dosage, you’ll need to swallow six tablets daily
To get the full serving, you’ll need to take quite a few tablets, which may be a bit much in one go.
10 - Dr. Mercola Spiru-Blue (Best Money-back Guarantee)
The final spirulina supplement on our list also has a certified organic label for a more natural source of nutrients without common toxic stuff.
It also doesn’t contain some of the allergens that many people suffer from, like soy and gluten.
I liked this spirulina supplement doesn't have common allergens, which made it a safe and effective choice for my daily nutrient boost.
- Uses only organic ingredients to limit harmful heavy metals
- 90-day money-back guarantee for added peace of mind
- Free of gluten, soy, and GMO ingredients
- You need to remember to space out four tablets daily
Now, to get the full health benefit of the nutrients, you’ll need to take four tablets. That might be best to do at different times, as some people might struggle to swallow them all in a row.
How We Tested Spirulina Supplement
Here’s how we chose the best spirulina supplements.
We prioritize spirulina supplements that boast the highest levels of purity. Each product on our list is scrutinized for the absence of contaminants, ensuring that you’re ingesting nothing but the pure, unadulterated goodness of spirulina.
The potency of spirulina lies in its rich nutritional profile. We assess the concentration of essential nutrients, ensuring each serving delivers a powerful punch of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants to supercharge your health.
Where and how spirulina is sourced plays a pivotal role in its quality. We favor brands that are transparent about their sourcing practices, ensuring the spirulina is harvested sustainably and ethically, preserving its natural potency.
We sampled each supplement in its recommended form, whether that was in tablet, powder, or capsule form.
For powders, we also tested them in smoothies and juices to evaluate how well the taste could be masked for those who might find the flavor unpalatable.
Products that offered a more neutral taste or those whose flavor could be easily blended with other ingredients received higher marks.
To assess effectiveness, we looked at the bioavailability of the spirulina in each supplement. We also considered the dosage and suggested serving sizes in relation to the scientific literature that outlines the effective amounts of spirulina needed to achieve health benefits.
User testimonials and feedback were collected over a period of time to monitor any reported health benefits, such as increased energy levels, improved immune response, or enhanced detoxification.
Supplements that consistently showed positive effects in consumers and aligned with the dosages supported by research were rated as more effective.
Buyer’s Guide - Best Spirulina Supplement
When you’re looking at different spirulina products, there are a few things that might ultimately make up your mind.
Here are four important things.
1. Check For Certified Organic Labels
If possible, choose certified organic spirulina.
Not because it has some magically high nutrition content, but it could ensure that you’re exposed to fewer toxic materials.
The algae that are harvested would also be dried, purified, and concentrated, so any toxins could be further concentrated as well.
Organically grown gets a big thumbs up from us.
“Spirulina can be digested easily because of its structure where the cells do not have tough, fibrous walls.”
- Katherine Marengo, Registered Dietitian
2 - Avoid Artificial Additives
Try and get a pure spirulina powder so that your body only gets natural nutrients.
We saw it in quite a few products where food coloring, flavors, and sweeteners were added.
These have no benefit from a nutrition perspective and could potentially upset your healthy gut bacteria .
3. Potential Side Effects
If you don’t buy organic spirulina, then taking large doses in the long term could potentially put you at risk of being exposed to heavy metals .
Even if the risk isn’t high, it’s best to avoid such products.
In rare instances, people could develop allergic reactions.
“Doses up to 19 grams per day have been used safely for up to 2 months. Lower doses of 10 grams per day have been used safely for up to 6 months. “
Also, you should be aware of potential interactions of spirulina with other medications, such as:
- Blood pressure medications - When taken concurrently with blood pressure medications, spirulina can potentially amplify their effects, leading to hypotension.
- Immunosuppressants - It can counteract the effects of immunosuppressants, making it a topic of concern for transplant recipients or individuals with autoimmune disorders.
- Cholesterol-lowering drugs - Spirulina’s natural cholesterol-lowering effect can interact with statins and other cholesterol medications.
Overall, you’ll probably find that the health benefits far outweigh any possible side effects. Just make sure to consult your doctor if taking other medications.
4 - Check the Environmental Impact of Spirulina Production
This microalgae is often grown in controlled environments or open pond systems, requiring only sunlight, water, and a small amount of minerals to thrive. It has a rapid growth rate and high yield, making it a highly efficient biomass producer.
Spirulina's cultivation doesn't rely on deforestation or intensive water usage, which makes it an eco-friendly alternative to traditional crops. Moreover, it has the innate ability to absorb carbon dioxide and release oxygen during photosynthesis, contributing to a reduction in greenhouse gases.
Overall, spirulina production is fairly eco-friendly. Still, it's good to check if the brand you're interested in highlights how they produced or sourced spirulina used in the supplement.
5 - Compare The Macros Per Serving
Believe it or not, but we found more than one company that added quite a high amount of sugar to each serving .
Doesn’t sound like the nutrition your body would need to boost immunity, right?
So, always check the label for all nutrients, and not just protein. If it has a lot of carbs, then it might not be as pure as you’d want it to be.
Is it safe to take spirulina every day?
Yes, it’s safe to take spirulina every day as long as you stick to the recommended serving size of the product. If you aim for 10 grams of spirulina powder per day, then you should be safe for longer periods.
Who should not take spirulina?
Anyone with allergies to seafood, seaweed, algae, or chlorella should not take spirulina. Even in a pure form, this could trigger allergic reactions along with an upset stomach and nausea.
What does spirulina do to the body?
Spirulina has been shown to help the body improve its immune responses, which could help at different times of the year to fight disease. There is also increasing information from studies that it’s rich in antioxidants, which could help detoxify your blood and organs.
Is spirulina safe for kidneys?
Yes, spirulina is generally considered safe for kidneys. With some studies showing that it could reduce blood pressure, this could even have a positive effect. However, if you have some sort of kidney disease, then it’s always best to consult your doctor first.
Our Verdict on the Best Spirulina Supplement
Of all the spirulina supplements we tested out, it came down to two products for the top spot.
Ultimately, only a vote was able to settle the debate, and we put Live Conscious Beyond Greens in the top spot.
Its mix, enriched with echinacea, rhodiola, milk thistle, probiotics, and four varieties of powerful mushrooms, provides the edge with harmonious gut health, whole-body detoxification, and clean energy while supporting a healthy immune system.
Try it out, and see how your physical and mental energy might change within a few weeks.
And don’t forget to report back to us.
About The Author
You May Also Like