One of the most common mental health issues is social anxiety.
And while there certainly are more severe forms of anxiety, it can still be a debilitating problem.
As a personal fitness coach, I know that mental and physical health go hand-in-hand, and looking after your brain health is one of the most important decisions to make.
To help readers and clients who suffer from social anxiety, I teamed up with a few clients, my dietitian, and a doctor to research and test the best nootropics for anxiety.
Here’s what client feedback looks like after two months of testing.
Our Top Nootropics For Anxiety Symptoms (September 2023)
1 - Mind Lab Pro
Our testing data and feedback indicate that Mind Lab Pro can help reduce anxiety symptoms the most.
Several of our testers highlighted that the frequency and intensity of their panic attacks were greatly reduced, and they felt more comfortable in social situations.
The most notable ingredient is an amino acid called Phosphatidylserine, which has been proven to have anti-anxiety effects .
It also doesn’t have any stimulants like caffeine that could cause increased blood flow and panic attacks.
“Phosphatidylserine is a phospholipid, a fatty substance produced in the body that helps transmit messages between nerve cells in the brain.”
- Caitilin Kelly, MD at verywellmind.com
Important note: our doctor strongly emphasized that nootropics are no substitute for medication if a person is clinically diagnosed with anxiety.
- Vitamin B6 : 2.5 mg
- Phosphatidylserine : 250 mg
- Lion’s Mane Mushroom : 500 mg
- Rhodiola Rosea : 50 mg
- Client feedback confirms it works well to reduce anxiety and panic attacks
- Great choice of ingredients that cross the blood-brain barrier
- Doesn’t contain stimulants that could impact blood pressure
- Comes in easy-to-swallow capsules with effects lasting the whole day
- You can only buy it directly on the company website and not in stores
2 - Onnit Alpha Brain
Onnit is another one of the more effective anti-anxiety nootropics.
And we had lots of feedback from our testing team that it can effectively help with social anxiety disorder and prevent panic attacks, or at least reduce their intensity.
Our testing results also show that Onnit Alpha Brain can help improve cognitive function, which was especially highlighted by a few students that helped us with testing.
This seems to be down to a good dose of L-Theanine, which has been shown to help with overall brain performance .
- Vitamin B6 : 10 mg
- Cat’s Claw Extract : 350 mg
- Alpha GPC : n/a
- L-Theanine : n/a
- Good results for generalized anxiety and panic attacks
- Seems to work well on stress hormones and mood swings as well
- Available as part of a nootropics stack to promote healthy brain cells
- The company hides some of the ingredient dosages behind a proprietary label
3 - Gorilla Mind Smooth
Gorilla Mind is a leading brand in the nootropics space, and this one seems to be particularly effective in helping reduce anxiety symptoms.
Our testing group highlighted that they felt a lot calmer in social situations that usually trigger anxiety.
Several studies have shown that L-Tyrosine can help prevent cognitive decline and boost mental energy, which is an added benefit .
The main reason we pushed Gorilla Mind Smooth down the list a bit is that it’s a bit less convenient, as you have to take up to six capsules to get the maximum health benefits.
- L-Tyrosine : 750 mg
- Kanna : 250 mg
- Alpha GPC : 600 mg
- Ginkgo Biloba : 180 mg
- It can help relieve anxiety levels for up to eight hours at a time
- Also works to boost cognitive function for better focus and concentration
- Stimulant-free option helps you avoid jitters and fueling panic disorders
- The full dosage will require taking up to six capsules a day
4 - Hunter Focus
A nootropic called Hunter Focus might not sound like the ideal option to fight anxiety, but a lot of the ingredients that help with focus by crossing the blood-brain barrier can also help to treat anxiety.
The most notable one is Rhodiola Rosea, which has been shown to reduce the stress response to social situations .
- Vitamin B6 : 2.5 mg
- L-Carnitine : 800 mg
- Rhodiola Rosea : 50 mg
- Ginkgo Biloba : 120 mg
- Can help with acute stress levels and improve overall mood
- Good choice for getting your mind to focus on work and study tasks
- You can easily spread out the dosage to enjoy the benefits for longer parts of the day
- The capsules are a bit larger than average and more difficult to swallow
5 - Gorilla Shroom
Gorilla Shroom is the second product from Gorilla Mind, and this one has helped quite a few of our testers deal with anxiety disorder.
They also mentioned that they could maintain motivation and focus on complex tasks, which is a known effect of Lion’s Mane mushroom .
It’s also one of the better natural nootropics to help lift brain fog in the morning and provide overall mental energy throughout the day without feeling overly fatigued.
- Vitamin B6 : 10 mg
- Lion’s Mane Mushroom : 1,500 mg
- Ashwagandha : 500 mg
- Yerba Mate Extract : 200 mg
- Our testers found that it helped them deal with complex problems with fewer distractions
- Carefully chosen formula has anti-stress benefits as well
- Also contains B vitamins to improve blood flow to the brain
- You can’t buy it in stores and have to order from the official website
6 - NooCube
NooCube is another one of the nootropics for social anxiety and cognitive function that our testing team had some great results with.
One of the ingredients to note is the amino acid L-Tyrosine, which scientists believe can help the brain better deal with stressful situations .
And this is something that many of our testers highlighted as one of their favorite things about this product.
- Bacopa Monnieri : 250 mg
- L-Tyrosine : 250 mg
- Cat’s Claw Extract : 175 mg
- Oat Straw : 150 mg
- Seems to work very well in improving long and short-term memory
- Can help to reduce cortisol levels and provide anti-stress benefits
- Comes in small capsules that make adjusting the dose easier
- There are a couple of ingredients that don’t have enough reliable scientific evidence
7 - Qualia Mind
Qualia Mind is a nootropic that takes a broad approach to brain functions, and our testing data suggests that it can be very effective for dealing with social anxiety symptoms.
This is partially the result of a good dose of Alpha GPC, which has been tied to the neurotransmitter acetylcholine and improved cognitive functions and the ability to think clearly even in stressful situations .
- Pantothenic Acid : 50 mg
- Acetyl-L-Carnitine HCI : 500 mg
- Rhodiola Rosea : 300 mg
- Alpha GPC : 200 mg
- Can help you think clearly and rationally even when feeling stressed and anxious
- Positive feedback on improvements in memory
- Stimulant-free option boosts the central nervous system to help lift brain fog
- You might need to order in bulk as it’s often out of stock online
8 - Leading Edge Health - BRAINPILL
The next one of our recommended nootropics for social anxiety and cognitive function is called Brainpill, and its main aim is to provide mental clarity and improved memory function.
But at the same time, it can also reduce panic attacks and anxiety.
With a good dose of B vitamins, it seems to work well to improve overall brain health and function as well .
- Vitamin B6 : 5 mg
- Vitamin B12 : 50 mcg
- L-Tyrosine : 175 mg
- Ginkgo Biloba : 100 mg
- Provides a good boost for problem-solving and memory
- Works well for reducing stress and anxiety levels
- Seems to allow you to stay focused on a task for longer
- The capsules are quite large and a bit more difficult to swallow
9 - BiOptimizers - Magnesium Breakthrough
This magnesium supplement is often favored by athletes to help them physically and mentally relax after a tough workout day.
But studies have shown that magnesium can further impact brain function to help with mild social anxiety disorders .
You’ll also find that you can sleep a lot better when you take this before bedtime and then wake up more refreshed.
The downside is that you’d need to combine it with other nootropics to get maximum benefits, and this one can work very well with Mind Lab Pro above.
- Magnesium : 500 mg
- Provides a wide range of different magnesium sources for better bioavailability
- It can significantly reduce stress and even help with panic disorder
- Improves sleep patterns to help you start the day more relaxed and refreshed
- You probably need to combine it with other alternative medicine to get the best effects
10 - NeuroFuel
The final one of our recommended nootropics for social anxiety symptoms and mental clarity is called NeuroFuel.
The company has kept the formula simple, and all ingredients have scientific backing to support them.
The most interesting one is L-Carnitine, which has been shown to have a big impact on cognitive performance levels .
- Artichoke Leaf Extract : 900 mg
- Acetyl-L-Carnitine : 750 mg
- L-Phenylalanine : 500 mg
- Coleus Forskohlii Extract : 20 mg
- Improves overall mood and memory function
- It can help to control cortisol levels to feel less stressed in social situations
- Suitable for vegans as the capsules are gelatin-free
- Some people have reported that the capsules are a bit difficult to swallow
Now let me make a couple of important points to help you make a decision to naturally deal with anxiety.
Who Should Take Nootropics For Anxiety?
Anyone with some form of mild social anxiety should consider taking nootropics.
They can significantly reduce anxiety disorders and stress hormone levels while at the same time improving your brain function for dealing with everyday tasks and situations.
With all-natural ingredients, you also won’t have to worry about nasty side effects that you might get with smart drugs.
Who Shouldn't Take Nootropics For Anxiety?
Anyone with chronic anxiety disorders, obsessive-compulsive disorder, bipolar disorder, or on prescription drugs like anti-anxiety medication shouldn’t take nootropics without first discussing them with a doctor.
While nootropics don’t tend to have adverse effects, they can interact with other drugs and possibly cause high blood pressure.
If you’re dealing with anxiety and depression, then always consult your doctor before taking any supplement.
Ingredients And Dosage
When it comes to the best nootropics for anxiety, it’s important not to just focus on the dosage of ingredients.
Having several different ingredients at a lower dose can often have a much more effective impact.
Here are some of the most important ingredients to watch out for if you’re dealing with social anxiety:
- Alpha GPC
- Ginkgo Biloba
- Rhodiola Rosea
- Lion’s Mane Mushroom
- Cat’s Claw Extract
And most of these you’ll find in the Mind Lab Pro nootropic that made it to the top of our list.
“Rhodiola rosea is an herbal supplement with adaptogen properties that help to provide general resistance to stress. Although its mechanisms of action are not completely understood, it is clear that rhodiola increases resilience to stress at both the cellular and systemic levels.”
- Bill Willis, PhD at Examine.com
Does L-Theanine Calm The Mind?
Yes, L-Theanine can help calm the mind and reduce anxiety. It may also help with lowering cortisol levels, and Mind Lab Pro is one of the nootropics that has one of the highest doses available.
Can Nootropics Make Anxiety Worse?
Yes, some nootropics can make anxiety and depression worse, especially if they contain stimulants. You need to be careful to choose one like Mind Lab Pro that can help with reducing anxiety disorder.
Which Nootropic Should You Choose?
Out of all the best nootropics for anxiety, the one our testing team and dietitian highlighted the most is Mind Lab Pro.
It works very well for people dealing with generalized anxiety disorder or social anxiety.
It can also help with preventing panic attacks and lower your stress levels.
And with the boosted mental performance, you’ll find that even busy days at work with lots of people around can be a lot easier to deal with.
About The Author
You May Also Like